Engine out practice

Old October 22nd 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default Slips with Flaps, was: Engine out practice

" wrote in
oups.com:

On Oct 21, 7:56 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"gpaleo" wrote
innews:1192979491.466999@athprx03:

Ο "Bertie the Bunyip" έγραψε στο μή

νυμα
.. .

Well, ultimately you will get the best rate of climb clean after
you have reached best limb speed, of course, but it's not al that
significant at the
begining unless you have a big obstacle problem off in the
distance, so you're right, best flap position is usually around 20
or 15 or whatever is handy!

Bertie

An old rule-of-thumb I remember has it that aligning the flap with
a down aileron gives you the best (most lift) flap position
(assuming, i presume, that the ailerons deflect to maximum
effectiveness=lift)

Never heard it but it sounds like a good bush piloty sort of thing to
do.

Bertie

Hence the reason why some of us fly planes that have flaperons instead
of flaps/ailerons..

Eh,OK.

Bertie
Old October 22nd 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Big John

Bertie

Did you read "Nobody believed that we walked away" that I posted about
Bud Warrens crash near here in Houston?

I probably should have used a different title but that is how the
newspaper article in paper was headed.

Good Pilot and very lucky.

Big John

Old November 5th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan Nafe

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

An old rule-of-thumb I remember has it that aligning the flap with a
down aileron gives you the best (most lift) flap position (assuming, i
presume, that the ailerons deflect to maximum effectiveness=lift)

Never heard it but it sounds like a good bush piloty sort of thing to do.

My flight instructor, a former drug-smuggler, taught me that very
technique.
Old November 5th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Newps

Dan Nafe wrote:

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

An old rule-of-thumb I remember has it that aligning the flap with a
down aileron gives you the best (most lift) flap position (assuming, i
presume, that the ailerons deflect to maximum effectiveness=lift)

Never heard it but it sounds like a good bush piloty sort of thing to do.

My flight instructor, a former drug-smuggler, taught me that very
technique.

The most lift is always gained with the most flaps.
Old November 5th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Dan Nafe wrote:

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

An old rule-of-thumb I remember has it that aligning the flap with a
down aileron gives you the best (most lift) flap position (assuming, i
presume, that the ailerons deflect to maximum effectiveness=lift)

Never heard it but it sounds like a good bush piloty sort of thing to do.

My flight instructor, a former drug-smuggler, taught me that very
technique.

The most lift is always gained with the most flaps.

I try to shy away from the use of the word "always". There are some
aircraft that use flaps for their induced drag. An example is a glider with
large span 90 degree flaps. As an owner of such a craft I can testify that
increased lift is not associated with flap setting greater then 40 degrees.
Setting beyond 45 definitely exist only for the drag they create.
(http://tinyurl.com/2w6fuk)

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old November 5th 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix

In article ,
Newps wrote:

Dan Nafe wrote:

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

An old rule-of-thumb I remember has it that aligning the flap with a
down aileron gives you the best (most lift) flap position (assuming, i
presume, that the ailerons deflect to maximum effectiveness=lift)

Never heard it but it sounds like a good bush piloty sort of thing to do.

My flight instructor, a former drug-smuggler, taught me that very
technique.

The most lift is always gained with the most flaps.

Really?

Even if true, you sometimes end up picking up drag faster than increased
lift at extreme flap settings, depending on the aircraft.
Old November 5th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Newps

Steve Hix wrote:

The most lift is always gained with the most flaps.

Really?

Even if true, you sometimes end up picking up drag faster than increased
lift at extreme flap settings, depending on the aircraft.

On your typical Cessna 152, 172, 182 206, etc the most lift for the
least drag is approx 20 degrees. Flaps at 40 degrees gives you the most
lift but also more drag than at 20 degrees. Just depends on what you're
trying to accomplish. The first 20 years of Bonanza production there
wasn't a flap indicator in the aircraft, don't have one in mine. The
factory put a stripe that you could line up with the trailing edge of
the wing to get 20 degrees. Those disappear with the first paint job.
Old November 6th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:53:42 -0700, Newps wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:

The most lift is always gained with the most flaps.

Really?

Even if true, you sometimes end up picking up drag faster than increased
lift at extreme flap settings, depending on the aircraft.

On your typical Cessna 152, 172, 182 206, etc the most lift for the
least drag is approx 20 degrees. Flaps at 40 degrees gives you the most
lift but also more drag than at 20 degrees. Just depends on what you're
trying to accomplish. The first 20 years of Bonanza production there
wasn't a flap indicator in the aircraft, don't have one in mine. The

One thousand one...Onethousand two...onethousand threee...
Who needs marks or indicators?

Roger (K8RI)

Old November 6th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

factory put a stripe that you could line up with the trailing edge of
the wing to get 20 degrees. Those disappear with the first paint job.

I'll bet there's a Gummint regulation that sez you can't hide that stripe.

Rich S.

Old November 9th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan Nafe

In article ,
"Rich S." wrote:

factory put a stripe that you could line up with the trailing edge of
the wing to get 20 degrees. Those disappear with the first paint job.

I'll bet there's a Gummint regulation that sez you can't hide that stripe.

Rich S.

I re-marked mine with a Sharpie.