A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Another sad day - 1-26 champ Bob Von Hellens has sailed into the sunset

Old November 29th 16, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob T
external usenet poster

Default Another sad day - 1-26 champ Bob Von Hellens has sailed into the sunset

I received notice this morning that longtime SSA and ASA member and 1-26 national champ passed away on 11/27/2016. A celebration of his life will be held in late January (further information will be forthcoming) and according to his wishes, in late spring he will be interred in Arlington National Cemetery.

I can remember the days back when I was a hang glider pilot and a fellow hang glider pilot Kevin (called Fish by his friends)was crewing for Bob, and every few weeks was bubbling over with excitement over Bob's latest escapade in his new LS-3 that had such incredible performance. And, when I got into soaring it was always a tradition that the Arizona Soaring Association held their annual Christmas party and annual meeting at Bob and Susan's home in Paradise Valley. It was quite the party house and the event was always the best. When celebration of life info is known I'll post that.

Rest in peace my friend.
Old November 29th 16, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 10:56:14 AM UTC-6, Bob T wrote:
I received notice this morning that longtime SSA and ASA member and 1-26 national champ passed away on 11/27/2016. A celebration of his life will be held in late January (further information will be forthcoming) and according to his wishes, in late spring he will be interred in Arlington National Cemetery.

I can remember the days back when I was a hang glider pilot and a fellow hang glider pilot Kevin (called Fish by his friends)was crewing for Bob, and every few weeks was bubbling over with excitement over Bob's latest escapade in his new LS-3 that had such incredible performance. And, when I got into soaring it was always a tradition that the Arizona Soaring Association held their annual Christmas party and annual meeting at Bob and Susan's home in Paradise Valley. It was quite the party house and the event was always the best. When celebration of life info is known I'll post that.

Rest in peace my friend.

I had the pleasure of flying a few contests with Bob and shared a few meals with him too. Super nice guy and in a 1-26 I knew that if I was with him I was doing pretty good.

Tailwinds Bob...
Old November 30th 16, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

My condolences to the family, especially his daughter and crew chief Robin. I had a few happy times at Moriarty with them and always thought of Bob as one of the gentlemen of the sport. His immaculate restorations of several 1-26 gliders impressed me greatly. Fly (not rest) in Peace.
Old November 30th 16, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Sad Day indeed, I met Bob in 1992, and have enjoyed his singular wit and help ever since. Ill miss the wonderful parties and great hospitality that he provided for my ASA early days, sage advise and great competitive spirit. Some of our most competitive tasks were called by Bob, and were it not for him I would never have known where Dateland or Superior were in AZ Strong thermals and long final Glides My Friend!

CH Ventus B