Ren Yenc

Old September 1st 08, 01:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
michael hoare

Default Ren Yenc

I dont care if its been said a thousand times i fail to see the point of
encrypting entries so that they cant be viewed without downloading some
other crap to view them ....whats the purpose of it ..what purpose does it
serve besides ****ing off those who cant view the pics i really dont see
the point of it all
Mick H

Old September 1st 08, 02:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_2_] Canuck[_2_] is offline
Banned

"michael hoare" wrote in message
I dont care if its been said a thousand times i fail to see the point
of encrypting entries so that they cant be viewed without downloading some
other crap to view them ....whats the purpose of it ..what purpose does
it serve besides ****ing off those who cant view the pics i really dont
see the point of it all
Mick H

I have to agree. YENC is not a great format. Just use jpg like everyone else
please.

Nick

Old September 1st 08, 02:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_4_]

Canuck added these comments in the current discussion du jour

I dont care if its been said a thousand times i fail to
see the point of encrypting entries so that they cant be
viewed without downloading some other crap to view them
....whats the purpose of it ..what purpose does it serve
besides ****ing off those who cant view the pics i really
dont see the point of it all
Mick H

I have to agree. YENC is not a great format. Just use jpg like
everyone else please.

yEnc is an encoding scheme, not a graphics format. It can be used
to post any type of binary. It's primary advantage is a reduction
in the as-posted size of a file by some 39% over the more common
Uuencode. It seems that the most often cited reason for universal
hatred of yEnc is that Outhouse Depressed doesn't support it, a
rather weak argument at best.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

Old September 1st 08, 10:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Oviedo

yEnc is an encoding scheme, not a graphics format. It can be used
to post any type of binary. It's primary advantage is a reduction
in the as-posted size of a file by some 39% over the more common
Uuencode. It seems that the most often cited reason for universal
hatred of yEnc is that Outhouse Depressed doesn't support it, a
rather weak argument at best.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

Speaking of weak arguements - I have seen examples of the same post in jpg
and ynec formats and the 39% doesn't hold water. Maybe 3.9%, but no where
near 39%.

Old September 1st 08, 10:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

Oviedo added these comments in the current discussion du jour

Speaking of weak arguements - I have seen examples of the same
post in jpg and ynec formats and the 39% doesn't hold water.
Maybe 3.9%, but no where near 39%.

You are entirely wrong. The spec for yEnc itself quotes the number,
I didn't, but since you're obviously so ignorant, try posting the
exact same JPEG with Uuencode and with yEnc and see for yourself.
The actual size of the binary doesn't change, of course, but almost
all of the Uue overhead is eliminated by yEnc resulting in a much
smaller as-posted size. Were it not for this fact, why would it
have been invented and why would so many people, all far more
knowledgeable then you, quote the same reduction?

Old September 1st 08, 11:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Herman

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht
Oviedo added these comments in the current discussion du jour

Speaking of weak arguements - I have seen examples of the same
post in jpg and ynec formats and the 39% doesn't hold water.
Maybe 3.9%, but no where near 39%.

You are entirely wrong. The spec for yEnc itself quotes the number,
I didn't, but since you're obviously so ignorant, try posting the
exact same JPEG with Uuencode and with yEnc and see for yourself.
The actual size of the binary doesn't change, of course, but almost
all of the Uue overhead is eliminated by yEnc resulting in a much
smaller as-posted size. Were it not for this fact, why would it
have been invented and why would so many people, all far more
knowledgeable then you, quote the same reduction?

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

And why, oh utterly knowledgeable one, don't you get a decent provider and
connection, thus making all this stupid encoding completely redundant and
looking as backward as the 18th century?

Regards,
Herman

Old September 2nd 08, 11:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Oviedo

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in message
Oviedo added these comments in the current discussion du jour

Speaking of weak arguements - I have seen examples of the same
post in jpg and ynec formats and the 39% doesn't hold water.
Maybe 3.9%, but no where near 39%.

You are entirely wrong. The spec for yEnc itself quotes the number,
I didn't, but since you're obviously so ignorant, try posting the
exact same JPEG with Uuencode and with yEnc and see for yourself.
The actual size of the binary doesn't change, of course, but almost
all of the Uue overhead is eliminated by yEnc resulting in a much
smaller as-posted size. Were it not for this fact, why would it
have been invented and why would so many people, all far more
knowledgeable then you, quote the same reduction?

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

There was no need to call me ignorant.

If you would have bothered to read and comprehend my post, you would have
read that.I HAVE seen the EXACT post in jpg and yEnc and the savings was
insignificant.

Old September 1st 08, 10:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Herman

"Oviedo" schreef in bericht
yEnc is an encoding scheme, not a graphics format. It can be used
to post any type of binary. It's primary advantage is a reduction
in the as-posted size of a file by some 39% over the more common
Uuencode. It seems that the most often cited reason for universal
hatred of yEnc is that Outhouse Depressed doesn't support it, a
rather weak argument at best.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

Speaking of weak arguements - I have seen examples of the same post in jpg
and ynec formats and the 39% doesn't hold water. Maybe 3.9%, but no where
near 39%.

And besides: With todays connections (whispers: broadband), who needs these
stupid compression programs?
Just post your pictures as is, of course after getting a decent provider who
will offer you a broadband connection. To all you yEnc fans: wake up to the
21st century. You don't have to use dial-up connections anymore. I have
broadband. Next month I will be connected to a glass-fibre network that is
being installed in the whole town I live in, so my connection speed will be
even higher. Stop farting around with your stupid encoding end get a useful
provider.

Regards,
Herman

Old September 1st 08, 11:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_4_]

Herman added these comments in the current discussion du jour

"Oviedo" schreef in bericht
[...]

another stupid Luddite Outhouse Depressed owner speaketh. why
don't you just get a real news reader and you won't have to rail
against the users of yEnc any longer.

Old September 1st 08, 02:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
SKUNK WORKS

because they are dickheads of the worst kind and don't want you to see the
photos they post ****em and aggravate the hell out of the good posters in
here.

"michael hoare" wrote in message
I dont care if its been said a thousand times i fail to see the point
of encrypting entries so that they cant be viewed without downloading some
other crap to view them ....whats the purpose of it ..what purpose does
it serve besides ****ing off those who cant view the pics i really dont
see the point of it all
Mick H

Attached Thumbnails