Best software for evaluating FAI Speed Tasks (Triangle)

Old July 25th 18, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Default Best software for evaluating FAI Speed Tasks (Triangle)

A few times a year I want to evaluate flight for record or trophy flights. Usually 300K Triangles.
What is the Easiest software to just evaluate an FAI flight?
The old EW software worked pretty good, but does’t support IGC flights.
SeeYou can do it but is very clumsy and slow at doing it, or at least not intuitive.

All I want to do is be in able to import and add individual waypoints if not on the way point file. I would even be ok with having to manually enter the waypoint coordinates. then import the IGC flight file. Enter the task. The zoom in on each turn point showing the turn point sector and click on each IGC GPS point recorded so I can see the time and location of entering and exiting the FAI sectors for start/finish and turns.

What software does this intuitively and easy.

Brian
Old July 25th 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Not having anything better I started looking at SeeYou again, It does lay out the task and show the flight pretty well, as annoying as it is to find the things necessary to do this, it does work. Only thing I really miss is the ability to zoom into the start/finish or turn point and see individual GPS fixes. I can replay the flight to get there, but this seems clumsy compared to just showing them on the map.

Brian
Old July 25th 18, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 12:31:56 PM UTC-4, Brian wrote:
Not having anything better I started looking at SeeYou again, It does lay out the task and show the flight pretty well, as annoying as it is to find the things necessary to do this, it does work. Only thing I really miss is the ability to zoom into the start/finish or turn point and see individual GPS fixes. I can replay the flight to get there, but this seems clumsy compared to just showing them on the map.

Brian

Edit / Flight Properties / Observation Zone... then select waypoints in sequence.

You could be forgiven for not finding this on your own :-). SeeYou is maddening in this respect.

T8
Old July 25th 18, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 12:31:56 PM UTC-4, Brian wrote:
Not having anything better I started looking at SeeYou again, It does lay out the task and show the flight pretty well, as annoying as it is to find the things necessary to do this, it does work. Only thing I really miss is the ability to zoom into the start/finish or turn point and see individual GPS fixes. I can replay the flight to get there, but this seems clumsy compared to just showing them on the map.

Brian

I used Coutraci - french software - and it was the most intuitive for OOing..
http://y.ctr.pagesperso-orange.fr/index-us.html .

Take a look at the printing example - one page, pretty well everything you want. Also makes nice souvenir for ride-alongs...
Old July 26th 18, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 1:11:53 PM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 12:31:56 PM UTC-4, Brian wrote:
Not having anything better I started looking at SeeYou again, It does lay out the task and show the flight pretty well, as annoying as it is to find the things necessary to do this, it does work. Only thing I really miss is the ability to zoom into the start/finish or turn point and see individual GPS fixes. I can replay the flight to get there, but this seems clumsy compared to just showing them on the map.

Brian

I used Coutraci - french software - and it was the most intuitive for OOing.
http://y.ctr.pagesperso-orange.fr/index-us.html .

Take a look at the printing example - one page, pretty well everything you want. Also makes nice souvenir for ride-alongs...

I installed it, but got stuck when I tried to install a map. How can I install a sectional?
Tom

Old July 26th 18, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Thank You T8. I would like to think I am pretty persistent and reasonably good at figuring software out.
I would guess SeeYou does what I want, but it is likely hidden in some obscure drop down somewhere.

I had found the Observation Zone you had mentioned and it works ok for confirming the flight entered the turn Point Sector.
But I haven’t figured out how to identify the Start/Finish Times from this. I don’t see any way to zoom in on the Observation Zone, nor do I see that it shows the individual recorded GPS points.

If I just zoom in on the map and click on the trace I recall it does show me the time and Altitude, which is what I want. But I have no way of telling which GPS point it is actually showing me. All it needs is a tick mark on the GPS trace so when I zoom in close I can tell which point I am clicking on to get the time and altitude information. Better still would be if the Tick Changed color when I clicked on it and it showed me that information.

If anyone know where the setting to display the GPS points on the trace I would appreciate them showing me how to do it.

Thanks Again

Brian
Old July 26th 18, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 10:56:39 AM UTC-4, Brian wrote:
[...]

SeeYou gives you the start, finish and waypoint achieved times, speed on legs and speed on task on the stats page (Alt + 4 key or menu bar).

T8
Old July 26th 18, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Not in front of my PC with SeeYou right now, but I used it for 15 years or more as a State Record Keeper as well as on the SSA's national badge/record committee to evaluate hundreds of flights. Once you figure out how to create a task (including setting the waypoint and start/finish configurations), you can easily assign that task to a flight and step through fix-by-fix. You don't necessarily have to use the stats from SeeYou; in many cases things like release fix/height were critical, and you needed to be able to point to a specific dot.

If you are in 2d mode and you have the IGC file loaded and the task assigned, you should be able to step through any part of the flight with both zoom (i.e. zoomed in) and individual fixes with the arrow key.

PM me if you are still struggling; I might be able to video an analysis tongight.
Old July 26th 18, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Brian,

In SeeYou you can click on any point on the trace in 2D mode to position the glider near the area you are interested in, then just zoom in. You can use the forward/backward cursor keys to step from fix to fix. The altitude and location of each fix will be displayed at the lower left of the screen.

Lynn Alley
Utah State Recordkeeper
"2KA"
Old July 27th 18, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Thank You everyone for the tips. Stepping through the flight is what I have done in the past. I just fine it annoying to have to step through the whole flight.( the skip to next thermal does help) to fine a finish point. Clicking on the trace works ok also, just not obvious which fix it is showing you information for.

Biggest problem is I do OO maybe 10 flights per year, and I just don’t use SeeYou enough to know where all these features are hidden.

Brian

Speed triangle on ridge Waveguru Soaring 7 November 19th 13 05:42 PM
WGC Day 11 Tasks Set Duster Soaring 1 August 16th 12 05:30 PM
FAI triangle records speed question Bruno Soaring 1 June 6th 09 05:05 PM
evaluating aircraft GE Owning 14 January 13th 06 01:17 PM
Evaluating high-time airfames Andrew Gideon Owning 5 July 15th 05 07:31 AM