TV Ad featuring Klaus Ohlmann and an Antares 23E

Old October 1st 16, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default TV Ad featuring Klaus Ohlmann and an Antares 23E

At 14:18 01 October 2016, Dan Marotta wrote:
Mike,

Thanks for that story about Harris Hill. Did any of the gliders you
launched land back on top or did they land in the valley?

I used to go on ground launch safari with my partner in our LS-6a

using
a 1,000' rope. Each flight would be straight out with the partner
bringing the trailer and we'd switch off each day. What a great

time it
was.

Dan

Dan,

It was after a cold front had passed with winds 15+ Kts from the
NW. We launched directly into the ridge lift, and all flights
recovered back on top of Harris Hill....As a matter of fact, every auto
tow launch that I have ever been involved with on Harris hill was
when the ridge was working, and every one of those flights landed
back on top.....

Karl Striedieck has been doing Jeep launches from Eagle Filed for
~40 years. His strip runs parallel to the ridge on top. He uses a
little longer rope so that one can climb up to just over tree top
height before releasing and turning into the ridge lift. Many of his
records were set utilizing the Jeep launch method. Back in early
1985, I was trying to decide which glider to fly at the WGC in Rieti.
KS had just gotten the first Discus in country, so I dragged my DG-
300 to the ridge for some comparison tests. It was also after a
front had passed, so there was good ridge and thermal lift. We
watered up to the max, and Jeep launched. (Karl's first flight in the
new Discus..) Went from ridge to thermals, collected all the
comparison data, then dumped water, climbed up and did it all
again dry. Next, we landed, cut up duct tape into 1/4" squares,
used that to "bug up" the wings, watered up to the max again, and
Jeep launched back into the ridge lift to do the whole process all
over again in "dirty" configuration, both heavy and light. It was a
great day, and led me to overwhelmingly conclude that I needed to
switch from my DG-300 to a Discus-b. Done correctly, it can be a
lot of fun...

RO

Old October 1st 16, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andor Holtsmark[_2_]

At 20:58 30 September 2016, Ernst wrote:
In my opinion, stunts like this are a disservice to the entire glider
community. I have a lot of respect for Klaus Ohlmann, but this makes me
think. Likely the entire clip is virtual, like the Antares getting out of
the hangar...

Ernst

http://www.lange-aviation.com/aktuel...l/?tx_news_pi1[news]=50

Not CGI.
A filmteam consisting of some 40 people performed approximately 30 launches
in order to get the film material needed for 90 seconds of video.

The aircraft in question is a 23E, and Mr. Ohlmann would extend the motor
and perform a 180° turn, landing uphill under reduced motor power,
allowing for a quick turnaround for the next shoot.

Now for getting out of the hangar without damaging anything as the wings
pass through the beams.. ..that is some really advanced thechnology that i
am not yet at liberty to discuss in public

Old October 2nd 16, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 09:43:53 -0600, Dan Marotta
wrote:

It did not look to me like a gravity launch would have worked at the
airport in the commercial considering how close to the end of the runway
the glider released the rope and how hard (apparently) the car was
trying to pull. Still it was a heart-pounding video...

The hardest part was to keep the Antares on the ground as long as
possible (they were using negative flap settings to achieve that).

With an un-faked launch it would have been airborne within a couple of
hundred feet.

Old October 2nd 16, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

wrote:

It did not look to me like a gravity launch would have worked at the
airport in the commercial considering how close to the end of the

runway
the glider released the rope and how hard (apparently) the car was
trying to pull. Still it was a heart-pounding video...

The hardest part was to keep the Antares on the ground as long as
possible (they were using negative flap settings to achieve that).

With an un-faked launch it would have been airborne within a couple

of
hundred feet.

That is much more like what I thought it should be from my own
personal experiences.. They had to make up some drama for the
commercial...

RO

Old October 2nd 16, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 4:03:45 PM UTC-4, Tom (TK) wrote:
https://youtu.be/5GTX6S8q7x8

I met the videoproducer this September in Serres, France, at Klaus Ohlmann's "Quo Vadis". His name is Jean-Marc Mournier. He is also a glider pilot and instructor. Long story short, he hired a stunt man to do the driving. When told the details, the stunt driver refused to do the stunt, and Jean-Marc did the driving stunt himself!