Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

Old July 24th 18, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_4_]

Default Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

At 20:02 24 July 2018, 2KA wrote:
For badges and US state records you should just be able to use

conv-cam.exe
in the .CAI file you download with SeeYou. conv-cam.exe is available on
the IGC website at:

https://www.fai.org/igc-documents

(Look for the Cambridge folder under Flight Recorders-FR Manaufacturer's
exe files)

Which will only run on 32-bit systems!

For the OLC, ClearNav also has instructions for using Model 10/20/25 on

the
OLC he

https://clearnav.net/main/cn-CAI-OLC.html

Don't know if this will work for GPS-NAV though.

Lynn Alley
2KA

Old July 24th 18, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 07/24/2018 02:02 PM, 2KA wrote:
For badges and US state records you should just be able to use conv-cam.exe in the .CAI file you download with SeeYou. conv-cam.exe is available on the IGC website at:

https://www.fai.org/igc-documents

(Look for the Cambridge folder under Flight Recorders-FR Manaufacturer's exe files)

For the OLC, ClearNav also has instructions for using Model 10/20/25 on the OLC he

https://clearnav.net/main/cn-CAI-OLC.html

Don't know if this will work for GPS-NAV though.

Lynn Alley
2KA

I believe the models 10, 20, and 25 were all called GPS-NAV devices.

Perhaps the O.P. can update us on his progress. Are the dates good in
the (phoney) IGC file? Is the seal on the GPS-NAV good?
Old July 25th 18, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

This can easily be resolved by running vDos. See this link:

https://www.vdos.info/download.html

Of course all this is a little bit of bother, but to those on a tight budget it is an alternative to buying a new logger.

L.
Old July 25th 18, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 07/24/2018 05:20 PM, 2KA wrote:
This can easily be resolved by running vDos. See this link:

https://www.vdos.info/download.html

Of course all this is a little bit of bother, but to those on a tight budget it is an alternative to buying a new logger.

L.

For those on a real tight budget, I've got a few cases of Verichrome Pan
in the basement somewhere, and my club has a couple Replogle's we'd make
somebody a real deal on. We'll throw in a can of hair spray for free.

Really, the IGC enable for PF is $89. The PF of course is pricey, but
what's a life worth? Keeping Win8.1 on a pc so you can run ancient
software has its own costs in time and frustration.

The really nice thing about beating your head against the wall for 25
years is that feeling you get when you stop.

-Dave
Old July 25th 18, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 5:17:19 PM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
On 07/24/2018 05:20 PM, 2KA wrote:
This can easily be resolved by running vDos. See this link:

https://www.vdos.info/download.html

Of course all this is a little bit of bother, but to those on a tight budget it is an alternative to buying a new logger.

L.

For those on a real tight budget, I've got a few cases of Verichrome Pan
in the basement somewhere, and my club has a couple Replogle's we'd make
somebody a real deal on. We'll throw in a can of hair spray for free.

Really, the IGC enable for PF is $89. The PF of course is pricey, but
what's a life worth? Keeping Win8.1 on a pc so you can run ancient
software has its own costs in time and frustration.

The really nice thing about beating your head against the wall for 25
years is that feeling you get when you stop.

-Dave

PowerFlarms now come with the IGC enabled. If you need a calibration $75

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old July 25th 18, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Windows 8.1!?!?
XP or 10.,,,,

BTW, when in doubt, many DOS commands still work.
;-)
Old July 25th 18, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 07/24/2018 07:04 PM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Windows 8.1!?!?
XP or 10.,,,,

BTW, when in doubt, many DOS commands still work.
;-)

Someone was claiming 8.1 was the OS of choice when running in really old
compatibility modes. I would think a 32 bit installation of Win7 would
be a good overall choice when running antique software. Better yet, get
rid of the antique software.
Old July 25th 18, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 7:47:22 PM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
On 07/24/2018 07:04 PM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Windows 8.1!?!?
XP or 10.,,,,

BTW, when in doubt, many DOS commands still work.
;-)

Someone was claiming 8.1 was the OS of choice when running in really old
compatibility modes. I would think a 32 bit installation of Win7 would
be a good overall choice when running antique software. Better yet, get
rid of the antique software.

I've discovered that Win 8.1 Pro, 64-bit but a PITA without Start8, is very good with old stuff. Win 7 was good, 8.1 better, 10 not so good. OSX with Wine works very well for many programs.
Tough to get rid of antiques (an example outside of soaring: Sidekick 99) if nobody has produced a replacement.
Jim
Old July 25th 18, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

You mean you guys don't have a Windows 98 Laptop with a real, working serial port and 3.5 inch floppy drive to hook to your Cambridge 10/20/25? WTH is wrong with you? :-) And then a USB 3.5 floppy drive to hook to an XP machine to do the conversion for OLC, then on to Vista or Windows 10 with that USB floppy drive to upload.

Sheesh. Next thing you know, I will be hearing of "wet cell battery replacements". Hee hee.

Steve Leonard
Yep, I have a bunch of Model 20s and 25s. And L-Navs and S-Navs, too.
Old July 25th 18, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've got an old Dell tower and an official Windows 2000 installation
disk.Â* Make me an offer!

--
Dan, 5J