Dream Panel

Old July 19th 18, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

Default Dream Panel

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 7:41:17 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 10:46:29 AM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 9:31:30 AM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 8:07:37 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 7:39:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 6:02:53 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
As you may already know, I am ordering a new ASH31Mi. I am in the process of coming up with the panel layout and instrument selection. I would love to here from other pilots what they consider to be their dream panel (cost is not an issue).
Tom

Personally I'd want a dedicated traffic display to avoid cluttering up my moving map, and I'd choose adsb-in traffic, not flarm. I've never been able to find out if flarm displays can display adsb-traffic.

About a compass requirement: 91.205 does list required instruments for powered civil aircraft, but there are no requirements (other than whatever the POH requires) for gliders, and motorgliders are gliders.

Powerflarm absolutely outputs ADSB 1090ES contacts. Whether your display shows them is up to it. Mine does. It does NOT display the funky USA only UAT contacts (unless they are rebroadcast as 1090ES).

The radio interface provided by the ACD-57 is superb, much better than either the Becker or the TQ which it controls remotely. And much better than a Trig. You really want the Air Avionics COM radio, if only they could get it shipping. It will have one feature none of the others do: the Say Again function.

Air Avionics has really dropped the ball on getting their radio certified. It will not be available this year, making it unlikely I could get it in time to use it in my 31Mi.
https://www.air-avionics.com/?page_id=1204
Tom

Tom,

http://www.craggyaero.com/Drawings/ASH31Panel.JPG

This is a picture of one of my Customers Panels. The only thing I would change is replace the Winter Altimeter with an Air-Avionis Air Control Display Altimeter.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

What glider is this in? Is it the extra-height panel.

Tom

ASH31Mi large panel,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old July 19th 18, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 10:32:25 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
[...]

Woops the Panel is the small panel on the ASH31 Mi.

Old July 19th 18, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dream panel -- a very expensive assembly of compromises.

Switches, fuses, and any ancillary that can grab your “eye attention” should not be visible or “colored” identified so they do not reflect. Conventional 57mm altimeter replaced with Air Avionics ADC which also effectively controls the Becker RT6201 remote transceiver. Conventional compasses are worthless and do not deserve a full time dedicated panel hole. Panel mount one for annuals and then take it out as soon as you are out of site. (Sorry Mr. FAA, I just took out my Airpath compass because the seals are bad and the fluid leaked out.)

Airspeed and Air Glide S (primary vario) over ClearNav II, Middle CNvS XC, Air AVIONICS ADT driven by PowerFLARM core (Airpath compass for annuals), third row motor controls, ILEC engine unit, LXNAV S10, Air AVIONICS ADC, TXPDR below ClearNav II (if ADS-B then Trig TT-22 and if not Garrecht VT-01 remote controlled by Air AVIONICS ADC. For contest days, Naviter Oudie 2 on canopy driven by LXNAV S10. Glass instrument fuses on “custom” power buss behind panel. No solar.

You will not be happy with factory Schleicher wiring – get Rex to wire it and then if you have a problem he knows your rig. Make sure it is wired to eliminate Mi starting problems such as some of the 32Mi’s have experienced.

Dream on.
Old July 19th 18, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

This is the one time it's easy to put antennas in the fin and route properly sized coax to them (may be worthwhile engaging a microwave engineer).

Schleicher puts the Com antenna in the back of the fin. Think where the transponder and Flarm antennas can go - minimum 30 cm apart.

Air Avionics has announced their Air Traffic unit which can transmit Flarm on both antennas (very handy with carbon fiber fuselage - on the glareshield, there's a blind spot below; in the fin the tailplane makes another blind spot), but so far there's no documentation or word on North American licensing.

Access to the coax connectors might be nice.
Old July 19th 18, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 19, 2018 at 2:52:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Also 2 ESA-System type UN probe mounting adapters in vertical fin so you can have separate probes. Preferred is Prandtl tube PR providing redundant pitot/static systems to power electronic TE compensation.
Old July 19th 18, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

I'm also considering what to put in my next glider panel. I'd be interested to hear what people see as the pros and cons of different moving map glide computers. Just the high end ones that can be installed in-panel (not Oudie, etc). I currently use an LXNav 9050, but there are many things that could be improved. How do the Air Avionics Glide computers and ClearNavII compare to LXNav?
Old July 20th 18, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Le mardi 17 juillet 2018 21:02:53 UTC-4, 2G a écrit*:
As you may already know, I am ordering a new ASH31Mi. I am in the process of coming up with the panel layout and instrument selection. I would love to here from other pilots what they consider to be their dream panel (cost is not an issue).
Tom

Hi
So the dream panel include a lot of air avionic product.

Looking at the last 3 sailplane GP participant equipement it include mostly of LX Nav,a few LX Navigation and a few of all the other including Air glide product in their panel.
I wonder why?
Gilles
Old July 21st 18, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 5:00:41 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Le mardi 17 juillet 2018 21:02:53 UTC-4, 2G a écrit*:
As you may already know, I am ordering a new ASH31Mi. I am in the process of coming up with the panel layout and instrument selection. I would love to here from other pilots what they consider to be their dream panel (cost is not an issue).
Tom

Hi
So the dream panel include a lot of air avionic product.

Looking at the last 3 sailplane GP participant equipement it include mostly of LX Nav,a few LX Navigation and a few of all the other including Air glide product in their panel.
I wonder why?
Gilles

Yes, it seems that the bulk of innovation is coming out of two companies!

I am looking for a digital ASI and found this one from, guess who, LX NAV:
http://www.aeroexpo.online/prod/lx-n...1396-3693.html

The only distributor listed for the US is Cumulus Soaring, but Paul does not carry this product. Does anyone have any experience with this ASI and knows where to buy it (Europe is ok)?

Tom
Old July 21st 18, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, July 21, 2018 at 9:56:03 AM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
[...]

Tom, you should seriously look at the Garmin G5 to replace a slew of instruments:
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/gmn-010...hoCo0MQAvD_BwE
Much cheaper than the others discussed and it includes an attitude indicator (plus ALT, ASI, Heading and vert. speed uncomp.). With a good backup battery, that thing would save you a lot of panel space.
Herb, J7
Old July 21st 18, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, 21 July 2018 15:56:03 UTC+1, 2G wrote:
[...]

Its by LX Navigation not LX Nav

Dream Panel [email protected] Soaring 24 September 24th 15 07:42 PM
I have a dream. A GPS/SBAS/QZSS dream ! In honour of MLK day. macpacheco Instrument Flight Rules 2 January 19th 11 01:39 AM
A Dream franck jeamourra Piloting 0 March 27th 04 08:43 PM
A dream franck jeamourra Simulators 0 March 25th 04 01:26 PM
a dream franck jeamourra Owning 0 March 25th 04 07:26 AM