Kawa leading.....again.

Old August 3rd 18, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

Default Kawa leading.....again.

At 20:05 03 August 2018, BruceGreeff wrote:
On 2018/08/02 22:20, RobKol wrote:
On Thursday, 2 August 2018 07:58:33 UTC-7, waremark wrote:
Kawa flew an Arcus in Russia. He gave a talk at our club about that

exciting trip. I wonder how he comes to be in a 32 this time.

Mr. Matkowski, the other ASG-32 "MD" crew member is Schleicher dealer.

The choice is obvious.

And I think it supports my thesis that the pilot makes the difference.
The top manufacturers attract the top pilots, but the gliders are so
close in performance overall - I doubt equipment is the decisive factor
in most recent contests.
Dr Kawa will be hard to beat in anything remotely competitive...

Is Sebastian Kawa the first professional competition glider pilot?

Someone who spends his entire life competing and preparing to compete. No
other day job.

Rather like the Golf and Tennis stars.

What we see is that level of commitment brings an extra level of
performance.

Chris

Old August 3rd 18, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Le mercredi 1 août 2018 14:05:31 UTC-4, a écritÂ*:
Kawa is leading the two seat 20 meter class at his second world championship in three weeks. Of course he won 15 meter at the first one. There is no doubt he’s the greatest....ever.

Today M&K beat the competion by 32 meter a minute.
Pretty asthounding!!!
Gilles
Old August 3rd 18, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 1:45:05 PM UTC-7, Chris Rowland wrote:
[...]

Chis, as I recall Ingo Renner was pretty single focused. There are many others who make their living flying gliders in some form that also compete.

Craig
Old August 3rd 18, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I would agree.

At this sorta level, the "nut behind the stick" is the determining factor IMHO.

Kawa is making less mistakes (oppsss...."fewer mistakes" to satisfy some grammar Nazis), in reality, with a comparable ship and instruments he can use, he would likely be at the top or close to it.
Same for many other pilots.
Since he seems to avoid team flying, and also seems to not like some newer rules and tracking/ground help for others, he seems to fit US rules better.
Shudder to some in the US about US rules.

Some comes down to the type of flying required for the competition site.
Those with eastern US flying may not do as well in the western US mountains. The reverse is also true.

Professional glider contestant? No.
Talented amateur pilot that can afford to do a ton of flying and contests? Yes.

To me, professional means the task generates an income. Kawa does well and can afford the time and entry fees. I doubt he makes any money flying or flying contests.
Yes, he has fun, yes, he gets to fly cool sailplanes that others own, yes, he does well.
Old August 4th 18, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"I doubt he makes any money flying or flying contests."

Garrett Willat had a bumper sticker:

"Glider Pilots do it for the girls and the prize money"

Right up there with the "I believe in UFOs" and "Visualize World Peace" dreams.
Old August 4th 18, 07:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 6:06:53 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
[...]

Not to offer disagreement, only a slightly different vantage point on the definition of professional as it might apply to Soaring. Amateurs practice till they get it right, professionals practice till they can't get it wrong.
Old August 4th 18, 09:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

'Professional' may not have been quite the right word but I couldn't think
of a better one. I mean somebody who does nothing other than fly in and
practice for top level competitions. Doing two seat training isn't the
same, not even at the level that Ingo Renner does.

It's the focus rather than the money that matters.

Chris

Old August 4th 18, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I know as little as most of us, but I think I know Kawa provides for his family thanks to his gliding activities. He is also a medical doctor, and he keeps his qualifications updated by volunteer work in hospital, as some day he'll resort to the profession and still provide for his family.

Speaking about "less mistakes", I've seen him actually do some "mistakes". I'm pretty sure he just wanted to get rid of leeches. Once I saw him revert 180°. I thought he would go for a second start, but we were at over 50km from the starting point.
In facts he just got the leeches off by flying in the opposite direction for a surprising number of kms, then pushed on task to win the day. He is so confident in his superior talent, skills, sky reading, or maybe eagle-eye vision that he could afford to make such a radical move on purpose.

Aldo Cernezzi
www.voloavela.it
Old August 4th 18, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 8:02:06 AM UTC-6, Soartech wrote:
Does he have striking eyes like Manfred Ruhmer or Sarah Arnold? Perhaps they can all see things we cannot.

Tetrachromatic vision? Some have four, rather than three cones, thus can see 100 times more colors. Very rare, but those people see many more colors in the daytime sky.

Frank Whiteley
Old August 4th 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 6:44:12 AM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 8:02:06 AM UTC-6, Soartech wrote:
Does he have striking eyes like Manfred Ruhmer or Sarah Arnold? Perhaps they can all see things we cannot.

Tetrachromatic vision? Some have four, rather than three cones, thus can see 100 times more colors. Very rare, but those people see many more colors in the daytime sky.

Frank Whiteley

MD didn't make the top 3 today. Nobody's perfect.
Jim

Kawa to the lead... [email protected] Soaring 3 July 21st 18 06:46 PM
Kawa wins. [email protected] Soaring 4 January 21st 18 12:49 PM
Kawa..... [email protected] Soaring 34 August 11th 14 07:43 PM
Kawa [email protected] Soaring 3 December 2nd 13 07:26 PM
S Kawa's 15 min interview for Polish TV RRK Soaring 0 November 9th 08 01:55 AM