First After School Dinner Flight of the Spring

Old February 23rd 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default First After School Dinner Flight of the Spring

Okay, so it's not quite spring -- but with sunset finally breaking
5:30 PM, we at last have enough time between school and darkness to do
a nice dinner flight. This annual rite of spring is always a relief,
coming, as always, after the long, dull darkness of winter and a
loooong cold spell.

Today we scooped the kids up from their respective schools, and
dragged them (kicking and screaming) straight to the airport. Their
whining subsided considerably when they heard that our destination was
Smoky Joe's in Pella -- their favorite place to eat -- with their
famous cheeseburger-chowder-in-a-fresh-baked-bread-bowl and a hand-
dipped strawberry malt!

The flight over was spectacularly CAVU, with 200+ mile visibility and
brisk winds in Iowa City, 15 gusting to 20. Over in Pella, just 40
minutes later, the winds were a sedate 6 knots, and right down the
runway. As a result, I was rewarded with two chirps and a glide --
my favorite way to arrive!

The FBO in Pella is always top-notch, and their beautiful Mercury
Mountaineer is a fantastic courtesy car. The town -- a Dutch
settlement that hosts an annual (and outstanding) Tulip Festival in
just a few months -- is always a delight to visit, with excellent
shops and restaurants galore.

Smoky Joe's is right downtown on the square, with great service, great
food, and decent prices. It's nothing to get too excited about, but
the kids love it, and that's the important thing. We always *think*
we'll have enough room to try their desserts, but -- after eating an
entire loaf of a bread, each, filled with cheeseburger/cheese chowder,
chased down with a real strawberry malt served in a big metal mixing
container -- there is never any room.

Waddling back to the SUV, Mary -- who has been sick as a dog -- spoke
those wonderful (and extremely rare) words: "You better take this leg,
too..." So, I had the rare pleasure of actually flying a round-trip
flight, and thoroughly enjoyed gliding along just above the haze
layer, with the blazing sun setting on our tail.

Entering the unusually busy pattern in Iowa City, we glided smoothly
over the city streets full of cars (the university-induced rush hour
traffic), touching down lightly on Runway 30 -- the end of a perfect
flight...

And, best of all, Daylight Savings Time starts early this year -- so
soon we'll have another hour of sunlight to play in!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 23rd 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cavedweller

On Feb 22, 8:15 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

And, best of all, Daylight Savings Time starts early this year -- so
soon we'll have another hour of sunlight to play in!

:-)

Purely in the spirit of stirring something up (), I don't like
daylight saving time. Seems to me nature is already adding extra
daylight, and I don't like getting up in the dark. Let's abolish it.

Old February 23rd 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Purely in the spirit of stirring something up (), I don't like
daylight saving time. Seems to me nature is already adding extra
daylight, and I don't like getting up in the dark. Let's abolish it.

I'm in favor of that -- but only if we resolve to make "regular time"
such that it's always light till 8 PM, CST.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 23rd 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 22, 7:15 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
[...]

Hi Jay,

I think you meant Smokey Row in Pella. I'm originally from Oskaloosa,
and they have one there as well. I agree with your assessment
though. My family loves the place (in Pella and Oskaloosa)!

Steve Job

Old February 23rd 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I think you meant Smokey Row in Pella. I'm originally from Oskaloosa,
and they have one there as well. I agree with your assessment
though. My family loves the place (in Pella and Oskaloosa)!

Whoops -- roger that, it's "Smoky Row"...

I didn't know there was one in Osky! Next time we get that way,
we'll have to pay them a visit.

Thanks, Steve!
--
Jay Honeck