302 log download

Old June 14th 04, 09:14 PM
Andy Durbin

Default 302 log download

I had a problem downloading a log from my 302 last Sunday (June 13).
Several attempts to download with utility 3UT15255 gave a transfer or
communication error (don't remember which). Still didn't work after
reset the PDA and power cycing the 302. I verified that MC exchange
was working with the PDA so that ruled out a cable or serial port
failure. First attempt with a different version of the utility
(3UT15XXX) worked fine.

I'll try to reproduce the problem this evening, but interested to hear
if anyone else had a problem downloading a Sunday 13 flight.

Andy
Old June 15th 04, 03:58 AM
Chuck Griffin

Andy,

I was flying a contest last week in Minden NV and my Thursday flight
on the 10th would not download to completion. I was using the utility
3UTIQ255 which is the only one that I have and it would always
download the first 1/3 of the 3.5 hour flight. I had a pilot with
another ipaq and the same program try and it failed at the exact same
place (block 34 or something) I appears to still be in the 302 but
will not download out of the thing. I also had a failure of the 302
vario in flight and that has not happened to me before. I turned off
the electrics and it rebooted ok with a new power up. It was only a
minor inconvenience as I was dead last at that point and landed out at
Hawthorne for the day after going in to the turn too low even though
several pilots told me specifically not to do that duh! The aero tow
back downloaded great!

Chuck (99)

a.durbin@ne

Old June 15th 04, 05:31 AM
Paul Remde

Hi Andy,

Does the 300 Utility for PC work? That one seems to be the most bullet
proof.

That said, the iPAQ version has always worked great for me on my iPAQ.
Version 255.

Paul Remde

om...

Old June 15th 04, 12:02 PM
Ian Strachan

In article , Andy
Durbin writes
I had a problem downloading a log from my 302 last Sunday (June 13).
Several attempts to download with utility 3UT15255 gave a transfer or
communication error (don't remember which). Still didn't work after
reset the PDA and power cycing the 302.

A free download utility is available on the IGC GNSS web site, as it is
for all types of IGC-approved GPS recorders. The program file for
downloading IGC files from the Cambridge 302 is DATACAM2.exe
(DATA-CAM.exe is for the legacy models 10, 20 and 25)..

Try www.fai.org/gliding/software/gps/pc/cam.zip

DATACAM2 works OK with my syndicate's 302 using a laptop and a RS232
9-pin connector which we have available in the glider as well as the
plug to the palmtop. We have fixed a permanent RS232 cable to the back
of the 302 to avoid the need to get at the back of the panel-mounted 302
unit each time that we download. We can therefore either download via
the RS232 connector, or into the palmtop. Both systems work but
personally I normally use an old laptop and the IGC-standard RS232
download connector.

--
Ian Strachan
Lasham Gliding Centre, UK

Old June 15th 04, 04:40 PM
Andy Durbin

"Paul Remde" wrote in message news:xYuzc.33136$2i5.7240@attbi_s52...
Hi Andy,

Does the 300 Utility for PC work? That one seems to be the most bullet
proof.

That said, the iPAQ version has always worked great for me on my iPAQ.
Version 255.

Paul Remde

Was unable to repeat the problem on Monday evening. The log
downloaded fine with the utility version that had failed on Sunday.
The only difference was that I had deleted several files from the CF
card. Since the CF card was nearly full on Sunday I suspect the
problem was caused by the utility thinking there was insufficient
space for the log file. The utility showed the available logs then
failed when the log was selected for download. That would suggest that
the utility that worked had different error handling.

If lack of CF space was the reason for the transfer an error message
like "Insufficient CF space" would have been more informative.

Didn't try the PC utility.

Andy
Old June 16th 04, 04:22 AM
Jason Armistead

(Andy Durbin) wrote in message . com...
I had a problem downloading a log from my 302 last Sunday (June 13).
Several attempts to download with utility 3UT15255 gave a transfer or
communication error (don't remember which). Still didn't work after
reset the PDA and power cycing the 302. I verified that MC exchange
was working with the PDA so that ruled out a cable or serial port
failure. First attempt with a different version of the utility
(3UT15XXX) worked fine.

I'll try to reproduce the problem this evening, but interested to hear
if anyone else had a problem downloading a Sunday 13 flight.

Andy

Andy

I have had troubles with the 302 once before using the PC download
program. After bombing out halfway during a download, the unit simply
would not download again at all (despite power cycling, etc).
Eventually, I gave up that day (it was getting dark) and when I came
back a few days later it just worked again.

I have since upgraded the firmware, and have never seen that problem
again.

The download process switches from a slow baud rate (4800 IIRC) that
is used for the basic command mode to 115,200 baud for the actual
transfer of the log itself. If noise is a problem, or your PDA's COM
port is a bit suspect at 115,200 baud (as I've seen before with some
notebook PCs), then it might bomb out part way through.

I have also heard that Cambridge have had some PCB problems with the
302 innards. I am not sure whether it's related to the manufacturing
process, or a bad batch of components. You might like to contact
Cambridge's service department.

PS: If anyone has written an alternative download program, I would be
interested to hear from them. The Cambridge-supplied ones do not show
local times (all log time-stamps are UTC) and you cannot select
multiple traces to download, which makes it positively painful if you
want to download, for instance, all logs from a club camp. You have
to select one at a time, download it, then select the next, and the
next, and the next .... AARGH !!!

Cheers

Jason

Looking for JPI's older software to download engine monitor data to a PC Peter R. Piloting 11 February 14th 05 08:58 PM
Anyone has the EDM700 data download software? Jay Honeck General Aviation 4 September 26th 04 06:54 PM
Download Thijs Wolters Simulators 26 June 24th 04 03:36 PM
FS2004 Pauses When Real World Weather Won't Download Andrew Watson Simulators 1 September 8th 03 09:08 AM
Download GPS Track from Bendix/King handheld Andreas Medlhammer General Aviation 0 August 11th 03 02:50 PM