Anybody take a small plane into LAX? Is it crazy?

Old June 3rd 13, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xyzzy

Default Anybody take a small plane into LAX? Is it crazy?

On Jun 1, 11:20*pm, wrote:
Skywise wrote:
wrote :

Edward A. Falk wrote:
I want to attend an event in two weeks that's practically walking distance
from LAX. Is it crazy to fly a light single-engine plane in there?

I wouldn't.

Is small GA even allowed at all? I've had the impression it wasn't.

But, I'm still stuck in flight sim land, so what do I know? Haven't
won the lottery yet so I can afford my ticket.

Brian

Since it is a public airport, there is no way that GA can be barred,
but it can be made inconvenient enough no one not in something burning
JET-A would want to go there on purpose.

It is class B with constant heavy airliner traffic and all that entails.

There is no 100LL there.

There are landing landing, pad and ramp fees.

etc.

--
Jim Pennino

Several years ago I read an article in Private Pilot or Plane and
Pilot or one of those other GA magazines that went out of business
about a guy who wanted to land at every airport in the LA area in one
trip, including LAX. He called the tower, told them what he was
doing, and they suggested off peak times when he would be welcome to
do a touch and go in his 152, which is what he did.

Like has been said elsewhere, no 100LL and they charge you out the yin
yang to park, but at 5 am or whenever, they're OK with T&Gs. Or at
least they were several years ago. (yes the article was several years
ago but it was post-9/11 FWIW)

Old June 3rd 13, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

xyzzy wrote:

Several years ago I read an article in Private Pilot or Plane and
Pilot or one of those other GA magazines that went out of business
about a guy who wanted to land at every airport in the LA area in one
trip, including LAX. He called the tower, told them what he was
doing, and they suggested off peak times when he would be welcome to
do a touch and go in his 152, which is what he did.

Like has been said elsewhere, no 100LL and they charge you out the yin
yang to park, but at 5 am or whenever, they're OK with T&Gs. Or at
least they were several years ago. (yes the article was several years
ago but it was post-9/11 FWIW)

Both touch and goes and practice instrument approaches are currently
prohibited at LAX.

--
Jim Pennino