L-Nav & Model 20, What's It Worth?

Old June 15th 04, 03:46 AM
Brian Iten

Default L-Nav & Model 20, What's It Worth?

On the used market front, what is a good price to pay
for a used L-Nav and Model 20 logger? I think the L-Nav
has the latest program installed. The GPS/Nav display
is not included in the sale and I am not sure if a
vario is part of the deal either.
Thanks in advance,
Brian

Old June 15th 04, 02:40 PM
JJ Sinclair

I paid $2000 for that package, but you must have the GPS display and the vario.
Without that stuff, the package is unusable. No way to get GPS guidance to the
turn-point or to see what the air is doing. I love the Cambridge GPS, but my
first one is now 9 years old and the internal battery just gave up. That is the
only failure I have had and I own 3 of them. Wish I got that kind of
reliability out of my motor-homes. Have had 3 of them and blew a transmission
in less than 1000 miles on the Ford. Lost 3 catlitic converters (she won't run
when that happens) Blew 3 tires, blew an exhaust manifold + all the normal
small stuff that never works on them.
JJ Sinclair
Old June 15th 04, 04:26 PM
Brian Iten

Would I need a GPS/Nav display if I had an Ipaq with
Glide Nav installed? I imagine the package should come
with a vario so if it does, what would everything be
worth minus a GPS/Nav display?
Thanks
Brian
p.s., I work on Fords so I can sympathise a bit....but
then again, they bought me my first glider......

Old June 15th 04, 05:12 PM
Liam Finley

Brian Iten wrote in message ...
On the used market front, what is a good price to pay
for a used L-Nav and Model 20 logger? I think the L-Nav
has the latest program installed. The GPS/Nav display
is not included in the sale and I am not sure if a
vario is part of the deal either.
Thanks in advance,
Brian

First off, you do NOT need the GPS/Nav display if you are going to
hook up to an Ipaq. All the info will be provided to the Ipaq, the
Nav display will just take up valuable panel space. You will of
course need the vario display.

If you go the Ipaq route, you are pretty much locked in to using Glide
Navigator II (not that there's anything wrong with that), as that is
the only one that can get all the info out of the Lnav/GPSnav. If you
hook it up to Winpilot etc, it will only get the GPS info, not the
airspeed/vario info, as far as I know.

All in all the Lnav/GPSnav 20 is a pretty good slightly older package.
Fair price is probably somewhere in the $1500 range, more than that
and you'd be better off going for a 302.

Old June 15th 04, 08:36 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

As a former L-NAV and GPS-NAV owner (actually, I still own a GPS-NAV) and
dealer of Cambridge products and Glide Navigator II, I would agree with the
statements by Liam below.

You don't need the LCD display if you are using Glide Navigator II - unless
you want a reliable backup. The LCD displays are still available from
Cambridge I believe.

Glide Navigator II is (I think - please correct me if I'm wrong) the only
soaring software that fully supports the system. You can send task
declarations to the GPS-NAV, download flight logs from the GPS-NAV, exchange
MacCready settings with the L-NAV, etc.

$1500 is a pretty good selling price. It may be a little high, but I've
found that used L-NAV and GPS-NAV units usually sell very quickly, so I'd
start there. If it doesn't sell quickly you may consider $700 for the L-NAV
and $600 for the GPS-NAV for a total of $1300. I'm quite confident they
would sell quickly at those prices. They are still very good products.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring Supplies
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Liam Finley" wrote in message
om...

Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
FA: 5 Airplane Model Kits - Bomber, Jet, Warbird Disgo Aviation Marketplace 0 February 22nd 04 05:00 PM
FS: F-117 Scale (1/48) Desktop Model (wood) $50 Jaysen Underhill Aviation Marketplace 0 December 11th 03 09:51 PM
FS: F-117 Scale (1/48) Desktop Model (wood) $50 Jaysen Underhill General Aviation 0 October 17th 03 01:22 AM
FS: F-117 Scale (1/48) Desktop Model (wood) $50 Jaysen Underhill Aviation Marketplace 0 October 17th 03 01:22 AM