Solar charger damages batteies - what's good one?

Old March 25th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Solar charger damages batteies - what's good one?

I've just discovered the Morningstar Sunsaver 6 charge controller I've
been using with my 20 watt panel is a two stage controller, and does not
have a "float" stage. This appears to have damaged my batteries more in
one year than several batteries I've used for 3 years or more, but were
charged with a good 3 stage AC charger.

Are there recommendations for a more suitable charge controller? When
charging, the controller is placed in the trailer, or in the gear well
if the glider is tied out, so the battery and controller temperatures
are the same.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old March 25th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Are there recommendations for a more suitable charge controller? When
charging, the controller is placed in the trailer, or in the gear well
if the glider is tied out, so the battery and controller temperatures
are the same.

Aren't the Morningstar Sunkeeper series 3-stage?

Old March 25th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herb

On Mar 25, 1:57 pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I've just discovered the Morningstar Sunsaver 6 charge controller I've
been using with my 20 watt panel is a two stage controller, and does not
have a "float" stage. This appears to have damaged my batteries more in
one year than several batteries I've used for 3 years or more, but were
charged with a good 3 stage AC charger.

Are there recommendations for a more suitable charge controller? When
charging, the controller is placed in the trailer, or in the gear well
if the glider is tied out, so the battery and controller temperatures
are the same.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

Eric,
I just bought this item on ebay for a 6 W solar panel that I will use
to tie together a trailer fan and a 5AH NiMH battery. It seems to
work great, keeping the battery charged but allowing the fan to run
day and night.

I tried to copy you the link from ebay but it wouldn't work. Here is
the search term:
Solar Panel Charge Regulator Controller 12V 5A 60W NEW

Herb, J7
Old March 26th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Solar charger damages batteries - what's good one?

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Oops, misspelled batteries, but I fixed it.

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old March 26th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Steca looks interesting. It's got float, leds and fuse holder to
boot. As long as its got a blocking diode then that looks a good one
to go with. Even if not, you can easily add one.

Yes, they are. I don't like the shape, so I'm leaning towards the
Steca-5-c with similar specs and $30 instead of $60. But, I'm still
looking for recommendations and warnings.

Jim Weir's solar charger R. Lee Jarvis Home Built 2 February 17th 07 07:21 PM
12v - 12v charger 5Z Soaring 19 December 30th 05 09:58 PM
Hurricane Wilma Damages Marty from Florida Owning 22 November 2nd 05 01:24 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Excelsior Home Built 0 April 22nd 05 01:11 AM
Protestor Damages Enola Gay B2431 Military Aviation 88 December 24th 03 05:24 AM