peculiar approach chart

Old May 9th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default peculiar approach chart

Dave Butler wrote:
I stumbled on this chart while preparing for an upcoming flight to
Knoxville:

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0604/00218HIL5L.PDF

I see some unfamiliar graphics on this chart, namely the dotted lines in
both the profile and plan views, and the candy-striping at the top and
bottom of the page. I perused the legend at

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/frntmatter.pdf

but don't see any description or explanation of these graphic elements.

The procedure is named "HI-ILS...". What is that? High altitude? High
speed? I notice that there are published transitions starting at 13000
feet, and also that there are minima listed for approach category E,
whereas most approaches seem to show only categories ABCD.

A PDF search of the AIM at http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/AIM/AIM.pdf for the
string "HI-ILS" produced no hits.

A google search of rec.aviation.ifr produced some hits, including the
information that a HI-ILS approach is a military procedure, and noting
that "...the approaches in question are not published in the civil US
Terminal
Procedures Publications". I guess that's now changed.

So if these approaches are now published in the civil publications,
shouldn't the graphics be described in the corresponding legend
publication? Anyway, what is the significance of the candy stripes and
the dotted lines?

For reference, there is also a corresponding ILS approach to the same
runway:

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0604/00218IL5L.PDF

Might I ever fly a HI-ILS approach in my Mooney?

Dave

These are high altitude procedures published for the military unit (TN
ANG) at Knoxville. These procedures were built by the FAA specifically
for the military users at Knoxville. The criteria for military high
procedures also allow for different descent gradients and arc distances
than civil procedures.
You may also have noticed that some of the altitudes are depicted
differently than you may be used to (mandatory altitudes and "block"
altitudes vs minimum altitudes)
These aren't published in the normal FLIPS, just the High FLIPS that
have the black and white stripes on the edges.

John
Old May 27th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Peter R." wrote in message
Dave Butler wrote:

I stumbled on this chart while preparing for an upcoming flight to

Knoxville:

This type of approach and chart was just published for my home airport of
Syracuse, NY, too:

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/.../00411HI28.PDF

Interestingly, JeppView (electronic chart delivery) does not include

these
charts for SYR.

--
Peter

I've seen several of those to military bases in an old alaska TP book I
have... with segments of the approach at FL200, etc.. hehe!

--
Mike Teague - Vancouver WA, USA
-- Opie and Anthony - XM Satellite Radio - http://www.opieandanthony.com