IPC Preperation

Old June 1st 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IPC Preperation

Greetings all;

What do you recommend for preparation for an Instrument Proficiency Check?
Is there any written or video material that is specifically geared for this,
or is the original IFR training material better?

Thanks for any insight!
Jeffrey

Old June 1st 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Jeffrey wrote:
What do you recommend for preparation for an Instrument Proficiency Check?
Is there any written or video material that is specifically geared for this,
or is the original IFR training material better?

Look in the front of the instrument PTS; there's a table showing what
tasks are required for the IPC. To a reasonable approximation, you
should expect an IPC to just like your checkride.

When I give an IPC, I ask the student to plan an IFR flight (I tell
them the destination before hand). We'll go over their flight
planning and I'll ask them to give me a go/no-go decision based on
the current weather. I'll do a chart review (to make sure they know
what all the symbols mean), go over regulatory issues (required
reserves, alternates, currency, equipment, minimums, etc) and then
we'll go flying.

In the air, I want to see a VOR approach and a hold flown using just
the raw NAV radios and CDIs, a GPS approach, and a partial panel ILS.
I'll also want to see them demonstrate that they can use all the
equipment in the plane, i.e. if the plane has an autopilot, make sure
they know how to use it and deal with failures, etc. Sometimes that
means more than the minimum three approaches (i.e. I'll ask for a
coupled ILS with everything working and also for a partial/panel ILS
hand flown).

Old June 1st 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In article ,
pgbnh wrote:
Can one fail an IPC?

That depends on the definition of "fail" :-)

Certainly, one can fail to complete it, in which case the instructor
simply doesn't give you the IPC endorsement in your logbook. But,
there won't be any "Failed IPC" logged, nor will there be a failure
notification sent to the FAA like when you fail a checkride.

Here's an interesting twist: you've got 3 approaches logged in the
last 6 months, and decide rather than just going up and flying 3 more
with a safety pilot to get legal again, you're going to take an IPC.
You don't fly to the PTS standards, so your IPC instructor does not
sign you off for the IPC. However, you have just flown three more
approaches, bringing your total for the last 6 months up to 6 (and
presumably all the other silly stuff like doing a hold). Presto, in
the course of "failing" an IPC, you have just become legally current
again. Deciding if this makes sense is left as an excercise for the
reader.
Old June 1st 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

That's a pretty productive way of failing to complete an IPC. You
pretty much know if you're not making the grade as the IPC progresses
and hopefully that right there should be an indicator that perhaps some
rest and reflection and another flight are in order. An instructor that
signs you off for an IPC when you have flown sub-optimally is not doing
you, or those you share the skies with any favors.

Robert

Old June 1st 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I agree with that outline. In addition I would talk with
the pilot to learn what his experience, recent and total is,
what their opinion is of their skill level and then try to
work that into the flight.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old June 1st 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Yes, it has required standards, it is a proficiency check.
But the logbook will only show IFR dual for a part 61 check.
But a Part 121 or 135 IPC will be logged as a failure.

I Flight review standard is "safe pilot" and an unsafe pilot
will not get the flight review endorsement, just an entry
for dual.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

Old June 1st 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Pilot survival instinct and training should have all
instrument pilots demanding that they be really current,
after all they are most likely to kill themselves and their
families.

Its kind of like brain surgery, a good doctor and clean
operating room costs a lot more than the witch doctor in an
alley, your choice.