BRS chutes. Why doesn't everyone use them?

Old January 20th 11, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default BRS chutes. Why doesn't everyone use them?

On Jan 19, 8:35*pm, Sparkorama
wrote:

...I think they should be mandatory in every new glider built...
Thoughts?

I think that the idea is well-intentioned but ill-conceived. Others
have already pointed out that BRS totals the aircraft in most
deployments, usually results in injuries to the occupants, and is
otherwise very far from being a panacea.

If there were an affordable and reliable system that was guaranteed to
work in all sailplanes across a wide variety of conditions, I'd
probably not object so strenuously. However, that is not the case. The
systems that are available are bulky and expensive, and can be
difficult or impossible to fit into something small aircraft where
interior volume is so scarce.

Sailplanes present special challenges for ballistic recovery systems.
Their requirement for low drag can make it difficult to install the
suspension bridles without performance-robbing bulges and blisters,
and their wide range of operating weights makes it hard to tailor the
parachute size to the aircraft mass.

My strongest issue with the idea is the underlying assertion that
there is or should be some bureau or agency responsible for making BRS
"mandatory in every new glider built." Required for gliders that
receive type certificates after some certain date, I can sort of see
that. That's the sort of thing that the NTSB might recommend to the
FAA in a decade or two, and which the FAA might take under advisement
for a similar span. But required for gliders being manufactured under
current type certificates? No, sorry, I think that retroactive
requirements like that set a very, very bad precedent. And required
for Experimental, Amateur-built, and Experimental, Racing gliders? No
way. That would very much stifle the kind of innovation and
competition that those (non-)certification categories are designed to
foster.

That said, in the glider I am developing now, I have indeed reserved a
modest volume for a ballistic parachute system should some customers
express an interest in it. However, that volume is not available in
sustainer or self-launch versions, so you would have to choose between
the motor and the parachute.

In the overall scheme of things, the place to look for the deployment
of new systems like this are customers and insurance companies. Both
of them vote with dollars, and in the free market that's pretty much
the only vote that matters.

Thanks, Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24
Old January 20th 11, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob D

I think that the idea is well-intentioned but ill-conceived. Others
have already pointed out that BRS totals the aircraft in most
deployments, usually results in injuries to the occupants, and is
otherwise very far from being a panacea.

To me the key issue and logic for BRS is: a low altitude mid-air
collision where getting out and deploying your chute is going to be
dicey at best. Like in the traffic pattern or near the pattern which
is where most collisions occur.

Best example of a BRS being worth it at low altitude:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrVxp_gyTcI

Considering how light our gliders are--I think it's worth having--but
not mandatory.

Bob
GE2
Old January 21st 11, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Jan 20, 2:16*pm, Bob D wrote:
I think that the idea is well-intentioned but ill-conceived. Others
have already pointed out that BRS totals the aircraft in most
deployments, usually results in injuries to the occupants, and is
otherwise very far from being a panacea.

To me the key issue and logic for BRS is: a low altitude mid-air
collision where getting out and deploying your chute is going to be
dicey at best. Like in the traffic pattern or near the pattern which
is where most collisions occur.

Best example of a BRS being worth it at low altitude:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrVxp_gyTcI

Considering how light our gliders are--I think it's worth having--but
not mandatory.

Bob
GE2

But I don't believe that near the pattern is where most glider
collisions occur-- I believe the major risk happens in thermals and
when entering/exiting thermals. And I don't say that lightly, as we
lost two pilots in Northern California in a collision between a glider
and towplane in the pattern not too long ago.

The issue is BRS is pretty invasive to install its a large package to
fit into a small space. My motorglider has *no* room for a BRS and I
see not practical way of adding room.

Its not an endless list of thigns we could/should have all of saftey
related technologies involve tradeoffs, effectiveness, cost,
complexity, reliability, weight, space, ... There are other saftey
technologies (like effective use of VHF radio and beyond that also
adding PowerFLARM, transponders (in appropriate areas), etc) that I
would much rather see people invest their money in than a BRS. If you
do all that then maybe look at a BRS. And I would be horrified to see
attempts at mandating or even pushing BRS and its potential to take
away money that would potentially be used to purchase VHF radios,
PowerFLARM, transponders etc. I assume everybody out there is wearing
a personal parachute, and if your are not its your life, but at least
using a radio effectively and a PowerFLARM can help save other lives
not just your own.

And possibly the best saftey investment pilots can make in the next
few months is... (you all thought I was going to say a PowerFLARM
right...) is a spring checkout with an instructor. Should we mandate
those? :-)

Darryl
Old January 21st 11, 09:57 AM
Sparkorama Sparkorama is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
On Jan 20, 2:16*pm, Bob D wrote:
[...]

It seems I caused a bit of a stir with the "mandatory" comment. I can see that it may not be so simple. However, I think the BRS system needs some good competition and maybe a glider-specific model. I wonder if in a few years they could bring down cost and size to make it more accessible to the soaring community. I imagine a well thought out glider model would be something a lot of people might consider. Does anyone know the stats or have personal info about getting out of a glider with a personal chute after a mid-air?
Old January 21st 11, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
150flivver

On Jan 21, 3:57*am, Sparkorama
wrote:

--
Sparkorama

You can't just stick one of these on an aircraft without doing some
extensive design and testing and the testing would involve trashing
the test bed. There is no one size fits all like a radio or
transponder. You have to look at the numbers of prospective customers
and retrofitting a chute to the relatively small glider market is not
financially plausible. If you've got very deep pockets anything's
possible--this just doesn't look profitable.
Old January 21st 11, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Jan 21, 1:57*am, Sparkorama
wrote:
Darryl Ramm;760474 Wrote:

On Jan 20, 2:16*pm, Bob D wrote:--
[...]

I think you have it backwards, the market does not need more vendors/
different technology/competition. Potential vendors need a practically
addressable market. Your trying to sell a marginal improvement
(benefits of BRS vs personal parachute) at significant increase in
cost and complexity and installation hassles/limitations.

I don't see any dramatic changes in technology that will shrink the
package or make a fully installed (and approved/STCed etc. if needed)
and allow a price point of interest to most glider owners. BRS systems
are available now in some motorgliders (when the motor is not
installed and the new glider cost is enough that the purchaser is more
likely to be willing to accept the BRS system cost) and its great to
see them being designed into those aircraft, and Bob's HP-24, for
owners who want that option (and don't want an engine).

Darryl
Old January 21st 11, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

BRS type systems are still attractive for gliders. We've had quite a
few crashes in which pilots were not able to get out of gliders, but
perhaps could have pushed a button.

For gliders, the Streifender system is probably the most relevant.

http://www.streifly.de/gesamtrettungssystem-e.htm

It seems to be legal and all. What happened? Is it simply that most
poeple are putting the motor where it should go?

John Cochrane
Old January 21st 11, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

At 18:03 21 January 2011, John Cochrane wrote:
BRS type systems are still attractive for gliders.

Seems to me it's a lot easier to get out of a glider in an emergency than
from the average light airplane. (Well, OK, the open cockpit jobs like
Stearmen are different.) The only time I've worn a parachute in a power
plane was when we were going for an aerobatic ride. And one of those
instances was in a Cessna Aerobat, which would have been sort of difficult
to exit if it was tumbling out of control.

Jim Beckman

Old January 22nd 11, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Jan 21, 11:03*am, John Cochrane
wrote:
BRS type systems are still attractive for gliders. We've had quite a
few crashes in which pilots were not able to get out of gliders, but
perhaps could have pushed a button.

For gliders, the Streifender system is probably the most relevant.

http://www.streifly.de/gesamtrettungssystem-e.htm

It seems to be legal and all. What happened? Is it simply that most
poeple are putting the motor where it should go?

John Cochrane

I'd be more impressed with BRS chutes if videos of the tests didn't
show the flight test guy jumping with his own personal 'chute after
the BRS deployment. It suggests he knows riding the darn thing down
isn't good for his health.

I'd like the NOAH idea better if it was available as a mere "butt
raiser" which lifts the pilots rump up and forward a few inches. I
think just a little lift would make a huge difference in ease of
egress. Raising the pilot in a reclining position, as the current
NOAH unit does, only works with canopy mounted panels.

Bill Daniels
Old January 22nd 11, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

I know there is at least one BRS system installed in a Schreder HP-16.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP...S_in_HP-16.htm
There soon will also be one in a HP-14. (The '14 I'm referring to isn't mine.)

Wayne
http://tinyurl.com/N990-6F

"John Cochrane" wrote in message ...
BRS type systems are still attractive for gliders. We've had quite a
few crashes in which pilots were not able to get out of gliders, but
perhaps could have pushed a button.

For gliders, the Streifender system is probably the most relevant.

http://www.streifly.de/gesamtrettungssystem-e.htm

It seems to be legal and all. What happened? Is it simply that most
poeple are putting the motor where it should go?

John Cochrane

F-104 Chutes out Glen in Orlando Aviation Photos 0 October 9th 09 07:01 PM
Square chutes - ExtreemSports.wmv (0/1) Tech Support Soaring 4 December 15th 08 07:40 PM
Square Chutes... sisu1a Soaring 4 December 9th 08 06:04 PM
Puchaz spin - now wearing 'chutes Bill Daniels Soaring 60 February 14th 04 08:08 PM