Whither, mother wit?

Old August 16th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Whither, mother wit?

Hear ye all! A female starts feeling claustrophobic at the end of a
long trans-Atlantic flight, starts to behave irritably and the next
thing we hear the 777 landing at Boston accompanied by fighter
aircraft. She apparently had with her a bottle of vaseline, matches and
a screwdriver, which can create a highly explosive device. Ok I made up
the final bit but don't be surprised if the line is parrotted by
authorities.

Commonsense has suddenly become very unattractive for law enforcement
agencies as flying has for common passengers, with terror threats
matched only by even more extreme knee-jerk reactions from authorities.

My wife and sons are due to fly out in just over a week from India on a
3-hour flight and I'm sure they won't even let her carry along a bottle
of milk or water for my 3-year old. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ramapriya

Old August 16th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]
Commonsense has suddenly become very unattractive for law enforcement
agencies as flying has for common passengers, with terror threats
matched only by even more extreme knee-jerk reactions from authorities.

What "suddenly"?

Common sense has been absent for a very long time, and that absence became
MUCH more apparent in the year 2001.

Especially here in the US, we have a government that is selling us terror,
as a way of ensuring their job security. Part of their marketing is to
imply that a) we are all in grave danger if not for their efforts, b) that
they are incapable of doing their jobs without treating *everyone* as a
terrorist, and c) that they are capable of keeping destructive items off of
airplanes (a most absurd premise if ever there was one).

Ironically, the recent "foiled plot" in the UK is a good example of why
airport security is overblown, and a good example of how terrorism
investigations should be carried out (at least with respect to where the
efforts should be focused...it remains to be seen whether the suspects were
ever any actual danger to us, but regardless at least the authorities were
focusing their efforts where they could actually accomplish something).

Pete

Old August 16th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GeorgeC

I hear on the news last night, that they have relaxed the rules in the USA. You
can now carry on baby formula and up to 4 ounces of liquid medicine.

Old August 16th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

wrote:

Hear ye all! A female starts feeling claustrophobic at the end of a
long trans-Atlantic flight, starts to behave irritably and the next
thing we hear the 777 landing at Boston accompanied by fighter
aircraft.

Osama bin Laden must be laughing his ass off. With very little effort, he
and his fellow scum keep the entire Western world on the edge of hysteria.

What a bunch of sheep we are.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old August 16th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Dan Luke wrote:

With very little effort, he
and his fellow scum keep the entire Western world on the edge of hysteria.

I am not sure I agree with your "very little effort" classification, but
the rest of your point was right on.

--
Peter
Old August 16th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Peter R." wrote in message
Dan Luke wrote:

With very little effort, he
and his fellow scum keep the entire Western world on the edge of
hysteria.

I am not sure I agree with your "very little effort" classification, but
the rest of your point was right on.

I think that relative to the effort put in, the outcome was HUGE. Sure, it
did take some effort and planning to do what they did, but not only did they
knock down two of the tallest buildings around, they have cause most of the
free world to sacrifice their own freedoms, and spend ENORMOUS amounts of
money on ineffective security measures.

Maybe that's what Dan meant...not so much that the 9/11 attacks were trivial
to carry out, but simply that for the amount of work it did take, the
terrorists have furthered their own goals far beyond their wildest dreams,
mostly at the hands of our own government (which I am sure they find
especially hilarious, as you and Dan say).

Pete

Old August 16th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Maybe that's what Dan meant...not so much that the 9/11 attacks were trivial
to carry out, but simply that for the amount of work it did take, the
terrorists have furthered their own goals far beyond their wildest dreams,
mostly at the hands of our own government (which I am sure they find
especially hilarious, as you and Dan say).

.... and shown other malcontents how to copy them.
Old August 17th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Peter R." wrote in message
Dan Luke wrote:

[...]

The terrorist are using the same tactics we used to put the Soviet Union out
of business. Keep creating situations where more and more of the enemies
resources are used to slay windmills. Eventually they will spend themselves
into oblivion.

Old August 17th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Dave Stadt" wrote:

The terrorist are using the same tactics we used to put the Soviet Union out
of business. Keep creating situations where more and more of the enemies
resources are used to slay windmills. Eventually they will spend themselves
into oblivion.

or a clue-bird will land...

--
Bob Noel