747-400 questions

Old February 26th 07, 11:37 AM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
capt

Default 747-400 questions

You should taxi the aircraft yourself.
which is what I do.
I do not use TOGA on T/O

Now on win 98 on 2002 I can't get the throttles to reverse thrust but on
this PC I can.

TOGA I tried to use that once, but dunno what it is.

What does it do.

--
Whoever refuses to fight or take up arms pulls the plow
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
capt writes:

on T/O set the IAS to 250
arm the autothrottles and the engine speed will come up automtically

I usually don't have any problem with take-off. I look at the speeds that
the
FMC gives me for take off, set the speed selector to that speed or just
above,
then set the throttles by hand to about 70% N1 and press the TOGA button.
The
autothrottle then sets full thrust and, since I'm usually light, a slight
backward pull on the yoke at Vr starts the nose up. I immediately back
off a
bit to avoid a tail strike and try to hold it at about 7 degrees, and as
soon
as I have positive climb it's gear up. At 500-1000 feet, I engage LNAV
and
VNAV. By then I've also retracted the flaps.

Usually that works well, although on a few occasions the aircraft has
really
pitched up steeply and I'm not sure why.

Anyway, it's taxiing that's difficult. It seems that around 36% N1 can
get me
rolling at a reasonable speed, but there's still a tendency to end up
going 40
kts on the taxiway. And if I throttle back, I end up coming to a gentle
stop
instead. It's problematic no matter how the aircraft is loaded.

Old February 26th 07, 12:14 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

capt writes:

You should taxi the aircraft yourself.
which is what I do.

I do.

I do not use TOGA on T/O

I use it more often than not on the 737-800 and 747-400, mainly just to be
practiced with it. I already know how to push the throttles forward by hand.

Now on win 98 on 2002 I can't get the throttles to reverse thrust but on
this PC I can.

How are you engaging reverse thrust? I just press and hold F2, which sets
reverse thrust after it sets throttles to idle.

TOGA I tried to use that once, but dunno what it is.

TOGA initiates take-off thrust if you are taking off, and initiates a
go-around procedure if you need to go around on an abandoned landing approach.

In the real aircraft, it's on the throttle handles. In PMDG aircraft, one of
the screws on the MCP panel doubles as a hot spot that you can click on to
engage TOGA.

Old February 26th 07, 12:33 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

I'm an optimist.

Among many other things...

Well, if you don't lie in your blogs, I guess there's hope for all of
us. They might just actually switch off the power you keep stealing
from the utility company. Would be good for the NG, but it would also
be good for you.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 26th 07, 02:42 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

BT wrote:
Be careful.. ever fail an FAA Medical and you cannot do Light Sport
Pilot.

Why not?

Because that's what the rules state.

BT

Just to clear it up for MX and for others that might read this in the
fullness of time. "Ever" is a little strong. Should you fail an FAA medical
and want to fly under the current FAA SLA rules you would need to a waiver
for the condition. After you have been granted the waiver once and not had
the waiver revoked you can fly under the SLA rules in SLA aircraft after the
medical that was granted the waiver expires.

Old February 26th 07, 02:46 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
BT writes:

Because that's what the rules state.

I thought the U.S. was supposed to be a democracy. Do you just obey
whatever rules come along without question?

In this case, it sounds like quite a stupid rule.

While I agree with you it is a stupid rule it is what came out of MANY years
of negotiations between representatives of interested parties. Quite frankly
I think this double standard rule kind of slipped through the cracks during
the negotiations but it made it in there none the less. Once the rule was
finalized it is somewhat hard to change though there are people at EAA &
AOPA working on it.

Old February 26th 07, 02:50 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"Not4wood" wrote in message
Yes, I was at an Optician/Eye Doctor (I forgot exactly what his title was)
getting my eyes done and I happened to mention to him about me trying to
take the eye test for the FAA. He looked at me and gave me the test right
there.

I have a lazy eye, and the vision is so poor it prevents me from seeing
clearly from about 8 inches and better in this one eye. I can see
movements on the peripheral but thats about it. Its not so bad I do see
everything but with no detail. I have no 3 dimensional judgment because
of this. The example would be catching a ball. If the ball is coming
straight toward me I cant make even a slight judgment to catch it. If I
can twist or move slightly out of plane then I can grab it. Not good, and
didn't let me do a few things when I was younger but I tried. My other
eye is OK, I can make partial judgments and get by. The bad thing is my
situation wont allow me to wear those stupid 3 dimensional glasses when a
bunch of us go to the movies for anything that was in 3D. LOL

Did I pass the FAA Medical, NO not even close. So I gave up with the
thought of getting my PPL. I dont care how cheap it is, knowing I wont be
able to pass the FAA Medical will still prevent me from wasting my money
on something I wont be able to complete no matter what I score or learn on
any of the other tests. Its called beating a Dead Horse. So what do I
do? I fly on Flight Simulator instead, or I sit in another seat and watch
the PIC take the controls.

Mark G
Not4wood

Have you actually been denied a medical? If not, you can fly under Light
Sport Aircraft rules.

Also, you might call the medical people at the FAA in OK City and see if
your condition can be waived.

Danny Deger

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ZhfEh.6007$2u.4703@trndny04,
"Not4wood" wrote:

I have heard mentioned (in here) that learning to fly is not expensive.
It
is where I live (in New York), but because of my eyes I know that I wont
be
able to pass any physical exams for my PPL.

Without wanting to pry into your vision issues, have you talked to an AME
(FAA medical examiner) about whether or not you'd qualify for a third
class
medical?

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...b4d692406916cf
c0604324&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.5&idno =14

"Eye standards for a third-class airman medical certificate a

(a) Distant visual acuity of 20/40 or better in each eye separately, with
or
without corrective lenses. If corrective lenses (spectacles or contact
lenses)
are necessary for 20/40 vision, the person may be eligible only on the
condition
that corrective lenses are worn while exercising the privileges of an
airman
certificate.

(b) Near vision of 20/40 or better, Snellen equivalent, at 16 inches in
each eye
separately, with or without corrective lenses.

(c) Ability to perceive those colors necessary for the safe performance
of
airman duties.

(d) No acute or chronic pathological condition of either eye or adnexa
that
interferes with the proper function of an eye, that may reasonably be
expected
to progress to that degree, or that may reasonably be expected to be
aggravated
by flying. "

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old February 26th 07, 03:11 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"capt" wrote in message
. ..

go for your sportpilot license. No medical required there.

That is what I am doing but I found I have to buy a plane to find a sport
airplane to fly. Check out your area and maybe you can find one to rent.

Also, call the FAA in OK City and ask them if your condition can be waived.

Danny

Old February 26th 07, 03:53 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Tony Cox

On Feb 25, 10:37 am, "Not4wood" wrote:

Did I pass the FAA Medical, NO not even close. So I gave up with the
thought of getting my PPL. I dont care how cheap it is, knowing I wont be
able to pass the FAA Medical will still prevent me from wasting my money on
something I wont be able to complete no matter what I score or learn on any
of the other tests. Its called beating a Dead Horse. So what do I do? I
fly on Flight Simulator instead, or I sit in another seat and watch the PIC
take the controls.

I have a "lazy eye". You simply need a "statement of
demonstrated ability" (SODA), which is granted after
a special FAA flight test. It is no big deal -- I did mine
about 2 months before my private checkride.

I missed out on 20 years of flying because I believed
some idiot who told me I'd "never be able to become
a pilot with just one eye".

Old February 26th 07, 05:56 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Feb 26, 10:53 am, "Tony Cox" wrote:

Did I pass the FAA Medical, NO not even close. So I gave up with the
thought of getting my PPL. I dont care how cheap it is, knowing I wont be
able to pass the FAA Medical will still prevent me from wasting my money on
something I wont be able to complete no matter what I score or learn on any
of the other tests. Its called beating a Dead Horse. So what do I do? I
fly on Flight Simulator instead, or I sit in another seat and watch the PIC
take the controls.

I have a "lazy eye". You simply need a "statement of
demonstrated ability" (SODA), which is granted after
a special FAA flight test. It is no big deal -- I did mine
about 2 months before my private checkride.

I missed out on 20 years of flying because I believed
some idiot who told me I'd "never be able to become
a pilot with just one eye".

Now that is a damn shame. I was issued a SODA for deficient color
vision, which removed the night flying restriction from my license. I
found out about my red/green deficiency when I physicaled for the Army
in '89 - I wanted to fly a Cobra gunship but was disqualified. It
didn't keep me from getting all my ratings thru CFI (ATP will come
this summer methinks)

Wood, if you really have a bug up yer butt to fly (as I did/do) then
give this its due dilligence and consult an AME as to your options,
and see if whatever condition you have is waivable with a SODA.

Buena suerte, amigo

Old February 26th 07, 07:44 PM posted to alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim,rec.aviation.piloting
JB

On Feb 26, 12:08 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Not4wood writes:
But the most I feel is what we are really not
experiencing and no matter how hard we try our little corner of the FS world
wont let us. That is looking out the window and seeing this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...a/IMG_0342.jpg

Yup, on approach to landing on that big piece of Glacier. The Beaver had
skies.

Then there's this:

http://www.mxsmanic.com/mckinley.jpg

Taken from a chase plane as I turn in my private 747-400 towards the UMM NDB,
after heading straight for the summit of Mount McKinley out of Anchorage,
purely for the purpose of this photo op.

When I first opened up N4W's picture of the Alaskan peaks, I said to
myself "Wow!...just breathtaking!". When I opened up your faux
picture of McKinley, I said to myself "How boring". CGI will NEVER
take the place of real life.

--Jeff

PMA Questions Mike Granby Piloting 24 December 11th 05 11:24 PM
PMA Questions Mike Granby Owning 24 December 11th 05 11:24 PM
IPC questions? Roy Smith Instrument Flight Rules 12 June 1st 04 10:40 AM
Mig-29 questions & general aviation questions 2003 Steven Military Aviation 1 October 20th 03 06:06 AM
Seven Questions For Michael Moore from a Blogger (was Questions for Mr. Bush, from Michael Moore) Jim Yanik Military Aviation 2 October 9th 03 09:36 PM