VOR GPS Coordinates

Old June 15th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Google Madness

Default VOR GPS Coordinates

Since I use a non-aviation GPS when I fly, I only have airports and not VORs
in the Garmin database of streets and places.
So I put together this .gpx file (GPS eXchange format) which can be imported
into GPS Applications and downloaded into the GPS.
I also included a comma delimited text file of values.
Hope someone else finds this useful too.

Gino

Old June 15th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Google Madness" said:
Since I use a non-aviation GPS when I fly, I only have airports and not VORs
in the Garmin database of streets and places.
So I put together this .gpx file (GPS eXchange format) which can be imported
into GPS Applications and downloaded into the GPS.

Or they could go to my Aviation Waypoint Generator and generate a GPX file
for themselves.
http://navaid.com/GPX/

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"The surreality of the universe tends towards a maximum" -- Skud's Law
Old June 15th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

http://navaid.com/GPX/

Paul, what does your site do with the cookies it sets?
Old June 15th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, john smith said:
In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

http://navaid.com/GPX/

Paul, what does your site do with the cookies it sets?

It's only one cookie. It remembers what options you choose so that next
time you visit those options are chosen again. This is useful to you if
you want to come back after the next FAA data update, for example.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
- Donald Knuth

Old June 16th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
CDT

Yes indeed! Thanks Paul! I have my GPS V loaded with all
public airports in Texas (about 475 of them). Waypoint names
are airport designators. Works great thanks to you!

-Pilot Charlie
(In Austin)

Old June 16th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hilton

Paul,

Your GPX file has:

typeAIRPORT/type
extensions
navaid:nameVANCOUVER INTL/navaid:name
navaid:runway designation="08L/26R" length="9940" width="200"
surface="CONC"

Shouldn't it be airport:name or wpt:name?

I might be able to get these GPX files and the extensions supported in
WingX.

Thanks for a great resource.

Hilton

(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

http://navaid.com/GPX/

Paul, what does your site do with the cookies it sets?

It's only one cookie. It remembers what options you choose so that next
time you visit those options are chosen again. This is useful to you if
you want to come back after the next FAA data update, for example.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried
it.
- Donald Knuth

Old June 16th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

http://navaid.com/GPX/

Paul, what does your site do with the cookies it sets?

It's only one cookie. It remembers what options you choose so that next
time you visit those options are chosen again. This is useful to you if
you want to come back after the next FAA data update, for example.

In addition to Paul's site, I have a site that you can use to select
navaids and airports based on a variety of geographic choices.
http://www.sarangan.org/aviation/garmin/index.html

Old June 16th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Hilton" said:
Your GPX file has:

typeAIRPORT/type
extensions
navaid:nameVANCOUVER INTL/navaid:name
navaid:runway designation="08L/26R" length="9940" width="200"
surface="CONC"

Shouldn't it be airport:name or wpt:name?

No, "navaid:" is the namespace, which tells XML that "navaid:name" and
"navaid:runway" are defined in the http://navaid.com/GPX/NAVAID/0/8 schema
definition.

I might be able to get these GPX files and the extensions supported in
WingX.

That would be cool.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"Go go Gadget kernel compile!" - Chris "Saundo" Saunderson