Such language!

Old September 21st 03, 08:12 PM
VideoFlyer

Holy Sh*t !!!!!
Old September 21st 03, 09:33 PM
David O

John Kimmel wrote:

http://home.teleport.com/~guynoir/webimages/ohmygod.wmv

What a hoot! Thanks for posting that. Definitely a keeper. I think
my reaction would be the same. That was much too close for comfort.

Someone in the thread said he thought the Spitfire cleared the
reporter by 50'. No way. It was much closer than that. Here is a
six frame animation (473 KB GIF animation).

http://www.AirplaneZone.com/NewsgroupPix/22LH.gif

Individual JPEG files are here,

http://www.AirplaneZone.com/NewsgroupPix/TempJPG

The height shown in the first frame is from the ground to the leading
edge of the wing. The airplane did climb during the six frames, but
not much.

David O

Old September 22nd 03, 02:48 AM
B2431

From: John Kimmel
Date: 9/21/2003 11:26 AM Central Daylight Time
http://home.teleport.com/~guynoir/webimages/ohmygod.wmv
--
John Kimmel

Something like that would tend to wake anyone up.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old September 22nd 03, 03:03 AM
Morgans

From: John Kimmel
Date: 9/21/2003 11:26 AM Central Daylight Time
http://home.teleport.com/~guynoir/webimages/ohmygod.wmv
--
John Kimmel

Something like that would tend to wake anyone up.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

How high (AGL) would you say he was when directly overhead. Even more
importantly, how much did the prop miss his head by?
--
Jim in NC

Old September 22nd 03, 06:52 PM
Russell Kent

Dan wrote:

It appeared to me he was under the right wing tip by about a good fifty feet.
Still too close.

"Fifty" ? As in 50 (not 15)? It's difficult to tell because the aircraft leaves
the frame as it passes overhead, but I'd estimate that the aircraft is within a
half wingspan of the ground. So in the case of a Spitfire (wingspan = 36 feet)
we're talking about 18 feet. Entirely too close for the unsuspecting, but then
the cameraman and reporter shouldn't have been walking around on an active
runway. :-)

Russell Kent

Old September 22nd 03, 09:12 PM
Morgans

"B2431" wrote in message
How high (AGL) would you say he was when directly overhead. Even more
importantly, how much did the prop miss his head by?
--
Jim in NC

It appeared to me he was under the right wing tip by about a good fifty

feet.
Still too close.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

I thought that, but then I watched it a couple more times, and I saw how
sort a time previous, that he broke ground, and I started wondering.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 23rd 03, 05:44 AM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:52:43 -0500, Russell Kent
wrote:

Dan wrote:

It appeared to me he was under the right wing tip by about a good fifty feet.
Still too close.

"Fifty" ? As in 50 (not 15)? It's difficult to tell because the aircraft leaves
the frame as it passes overhead, but I'd estimate that the aircraft is within a
half wingspan of the ground. So in the case of a Spitfire (wingspan = 36 feet)
we're talking about 18 feet. Entirely too close for the unsuspecting, but then
the cameraman and reporter shouldn't have been walking around on an active
runway. :-)

I've been walking down active taxi ways and had to step over to let
A-10s and F-16s by. I was about 3 to 4 feet from the wing tips. OTOH
Some where around here I have a photo of Joyce just a few feet to the
side of the taxiway holding her fingers in her ears.

I'd never get under the wing of a transport, or any other plane for
that matter....Although I did have the wing tip of a B-2 pass over the
Deb at Oshkosh one year. They had us stop and the B-2 taxied by on a
crossing taxiway to get to 27.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Russell Kent

Old September 23rd 03, 05:45 AM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:12:05 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"B2431" wrote in message
How high (AGL) would you say he was when directly overhead. Even more
importantly, how much did the prop miss his head by?
--
Jim in NC

It appeared to me he was under the right wing tip by about a good fifty

feet.
Still too close.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

I thought that, but then I watched it a couple more times, and I saw how
sort a time previous, that he broke ground, and I started wondering.

I tried to view it, but all I ended up with was a page full of text.

Roger
Old September 23rd 03, 04:06 PM
sean trost

Roger,
I was at Jackson naval air station sitting at the arresting gear
mechanism in the dead of night waiting for the ride home when I head the
distinctive whine of a C-5a on final, sans running lights shooting for
my runway, thankfully he hit the ground about 150 meter in front of me
and I did get nothing more than a hurricane gust. Whew, If I'd known
then what I know now........

all the best
Sean Trost