757 lands on EWR taxiway by mistake

Old November 2nd 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
swag

Default 757 lands on EWR taxiway by mistake

nrp wrote:
I prefer narrower runways for light aircraft. It's easier to judge the
flare height. Others?

You should try landing at Streator, Il The runway there is 18' wide
paving with very nicely manicured grass perfectly level with the
pavement making the runway about 50' wide. So landing is smooth even
when your nosewheel is the only wheel on pavement. But the view coming
in is really weird. You think you are still very high when it's time
to flare.

Old November 2nd 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dima Volodin

wrote in message
s.com...
Or can such incidents happen even when your view is clear enough?

Yup. http://tinyurl.com/ygysw2

Ramapriya

Dima

Old November 3rd 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
Morgans wrote:
What year?

2002, IIRC...

You should hear the radio chatter light up when someone does that. The
flagmen "really" get nervous, and looking for a place to run! g

There wasn't any other planes on the taxiway, nor anyone standing on it...
That's why I thought that it could have been one of the runways...

Yep. I think I remember you. g

There is a guy or two standing up on a little tower, looking out for things like
that, and will tell his flagmen things, when he needs to. The likely radio call
would be, " hey everyone, heads up. It looks like someone coming in is lining
up on papa! Keep your heads on a swivel!" One of those guys sometimes
participates in discussions, here.

There are always at _least_ three flagmen, no - four, counting whoever is way
down on the south part, with the vintage aircraft. More than likely there were
more like six (or more) flagmen, but they stand mostly off the taxiway, at the
intersections of that westerly taxiway (papa) and the next little crumbled
taxiway, (the ditch) that only goes from a little south of show center and
towards the north. You probably couldn't see them, because they don't stand way
out on the taxiway.

The routine is, that after landing, the traffic flow goes north on the ditch,
and south on papa.

Anyway, at least you didn't land. People have landed on Papa, and also taken
off, too! I can't figure out how that one happens!
--
Jim in NC

Old November 3rd 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Grumman-581" wrote

Hmmm... Let's extend the OSH arrivals to night... That should make for a
little more adrenaline in flying the approach... grin

"Plane with red and green wingtip lights, rock your wings"... snicker

shudder Oh, the humanity!

I like to listen to the tower, especially in the last 15 minutes or so, before
they close for the night.

They keep reminding everyone what time they will be closing, and inevitably,
someone calls up and gives a position report of " I'm out _ _ miles, and will I
be allowed to land?" The tower says, "as long as you are here before close
time." The guy keeps going, and calls in a little later, and says, "it looks
like I will be about two minutes late, will I be able to land?" The tower says
very firmly, "if you are not wheels on the runway by close time, you WILL be
violated."

No gray area, there! G

Overall, the pink shirts do a remarkable job. Only once, two years ago, did I
hear a guy on the mike that was making a mess out of everything. He didn't stay
on more that 15 minutes, then I didn't hear him, again.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 3rd 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

Morgans wrote:
Yep. I think I remember you. g

It's *possible*, I guess... My aircraft is not the typical white with
various colored stripes on it type...

http://grumman581.googlepages.com/n581-nm.jpg

On the other hand, it was starting to get dark and the weather was
crappy... Flew through a bit of rain on the way from Ripon to OSH...

Anyway, at least you didn't land.

Yeah, another 10-15 ft, and it would have been a landing though... Kind
of nice to hear the controller compliment you with a "good slip"
though... grin
Old November 10th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Mxsmanic wrote:
Guy Elden Jr writes:

Must've been cleared for the visual to 11. I remember my instructor and
chief flight instructor both hammering home the point about knowing the
color of lights associated with the approach lighting system, runway,
and taxiway. The head of the flight school is a DE, and during my
instrument oral exam he quized me about pretty much every aspect of the
lighting system. Haven't forgotten it to this day.

How hard is it to distinguish between them? Aren't taxiways always
outlined in blue (and runways _never_ outlined in blue)?

Did you read the damned article?!?!?! The taxiway does NOT have blue
lights.