Cyclone fuel saver??

Old September 21st 04, 10:24 AM
Gary

Default Cyclone fuel saver??

Just got home from work and at this time in the morning the only thing on TV
is infomercials

So here I am watching these infomercials and on comes the one for the
Cyclone Fuel Saver. Now they claim that it improves fuel mileage and power
output from the engine. So I was just wondering if anyone has tried this
little device in their piston aircraft?
The theory makes sense, spinning air in the intake tract to help mix the
air/fuel better before entering the cylinder. Now the ad says that this
works in any gasoline burning engine (and they list almost every gas burning
engine ever invented) except the ad didn't mention aircraft. I find this
interesting cause if it works really that good in cars, trucks, motorcycles
ect. ect wouldn't it work just as well in a airplane?

I assume that this device hasn't been approved for use in piston powerd
aircraft yet or, maybe it just isn't as good as the makers claim!

Old September 21st 04, 11:37 AM
Bushy

Can I interest you in a bridge?

Have a search of various car and 4wd newsgroups. The other brand Hyclone is
just as good.

Peter

Old September 21st 04, 12:07 PM
kontiki

For one thing it would have to be FAA certified.... thus raising the
cost to a point where it would take decades of use to result in any
cost benefit.

Old September 21st 04, 12:36 PM
Michelle P

Gary,
For a carbureted engine with the air cleaner right on top of the
carburetor it may help mixing the fuel. However if you have a
multi-point fuel injected engine (car or plane) or one where the Filter
is a foot or so up stream of the carburetor it will have little effect
if any or the mixing. Most engines are designed to swirl the air/ fuel
mixture as it enters the cylinder.
Michelle

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old September 21st 04, 11:21 PM
Dave S

So.. by adding a restriction to flow (in the form of some cute gizmo)
you are intending to INCREASE horsepower?

I recall hearing in another discussion group I participate in, that one
of these devices came apart from the suction forces in the engine.. not
what you want happening..

Dave

Old September 22nd 04, 03:19 AM

Race car people dimple the inards of the intake manifold to make the air
a little bit more turbulent to help mix the gasses.
During cruise, i keep the throttle off the stops and my egt's smooth out.
I suspect for the same reason.

Dave

Old September 22nd 04, 03:48 AM
Jay Honeck

During cruise, i keep the throttle off the stops and my egt's smooth out.
I suspect for the same reason.

Interesting.

I've noticed the same thing, but I didn't stop to think that it could be due
to inducing more turbulent air, thereby smoothing the mixture between
cylinders.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 22nd 04, 01:38 PM
Michelle P

Dave,
I suspect you have a carburated engine? I suspect it would have little
effect in a multi-point fuel injected engine.
Michelle

Old September 23rd 04, 01:16 AM

Yep,

I have a pressure carb in the old Bonanza. It's more like throttle body
injection.
The neat thing about it is that it mixes the fuel very good as indicated
by being able to run well lean of peak. Smooth EGT's.
It doesn't get too rough before it quits, just looses power, then silence.

Dave

Old September 23rd 04, 04:02 AM
Michelle P

Dave,
Pressure Carb, Cool. Kinda reminds me of WW II Radials.
Michelle

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Repairing Plastic Instrument Panel Overlay Jeff P Owning 22 January 29th 04 06:42 PM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM
More long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids, with added nationalistic abuse (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 161 September 25th 03 07:35 AM