Garmin GPS Info

Old July 23rd 03, 09:28 PM
Jason Kennemer

Default Garmin GPS Info

After buying an iPaq and checking out the GPS abilities and flight planning
software, I think I'm going to take the thing back and opt for a Garmin or
similar dedicated GPS. I'll either get a cheap e6b handheld, or rely on the
whiz-wheel for on-board calculations and do my flight planning on line and
the old fashioned way.

My question: Does anyone know if Garmin will be announcing or releasing a
296 during OSH, similar to what they did with the transition from the 195 to
the 196? If not during OSH, then maybe in the near future? The reasons for
wanting a 196 w/color are obvious, so I won't go any further...

Thanks,

Jason Kennemer

Old July 23rd 03, 11:35 PM
Jeff

I dont think they are comming out with a 296, I have the 295 and its really nice
for a handheld. what is it that the 196 has that you cant get from the 295?

Old July 24th 03, 09:39 PM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:35:18 -0700, Jeff wrote:

what is it that the 196 has that you cant get from the 295?

The flight instruments?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub
Old July 24th 03, 10:04 PM
Ron Natalie

"Steve House" wrote in message ...
The change in heading might be x degrees per second but that
could be at a variety of different bank angles.

Assuming coordinated flight and knowing what the rate of turn and the airspeed
is, you can pretty nicely compute the bank angle. No it doesn't know for sure,
anymore than it knows which way the aircraft is really pointed (as opposed to
it's ground track).

Old July 25th 03, 03:04 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Also, the 196 has a better screen and is easier on batteries... The shape
works better for yoke mounting than the 295...
The flight instrument screen is "interesting", and just might save your
bacon if the gyros go away on a dark and stormy night - though you need to
practice with it... See my previous posts on this if you are interested...

Denny

"David Reinhart" wrote in message
The 196 has a faster processor and faster re-draw rate. It also has that

flight
instrument screen that people seem to either love or hate. I haven't used

it so I
can't offer an opinion.

Dave Reinhart