Jeppview vs. paper Jepp Plates

Old April 12th 05, 09:07 AM
G. Sylvester

Default Jeppview vs. paper Jepp Plates

time for me to renew my Jepp service. I usually get the California
Express for $144 per year. Generally the work that I have to
do is not that bad. My friend is going to be starting his
IFR training soon and I was thinking maybe the two of us
can get the Jeppview service that includes California plus
some extra bonus states (NV, AZ, UT, NM, not used very often)
but more importantly the updates look beyond simple. Attaching
a laptop to a GPS antenna gives you a nice moving map which seems
like a very nice independent backup if the plane happens go
really go south (not the cardinal direction).

Anyone have any experience using Jeppview? What are
the good points and the bad points?

thanks for the feedback.

gerald sylvester

Old April 12th 05, 11:14 AM
smf

I recently bought a anywhere weather system. the Ipaq screen is large enough
but is a little lacking on viewing in direct sunlight. i got it with the
pocket plates. Not sure how practical in real life it will be but it is nice
to see my position on the plates while shooting an approach. I have a 430,
so its a nice "back up" system.
They are coming out with a approach plate sized tablet called the Raven. it
will be at sun n fun and I'm sure there will be some reports on it.

steve

Old April 12th 05, 12:30 PM

"G. Sylvester" wrote:

time for me to renew my Jepp service. I usually get the California
Express for $144 per year. Generally the work that I have to
do is not that bad. My friend is going to be starting his
IFR training soon and I was thinking maybe the two of us
can get the Jeppview service that includes California plus
some extra bonus states (NV, AZ, UT, NM, not used very often)
but more importantly the updates look beyond simple. Attaching
a laptop to a GPS antenna gives you a nice moving map which seems
like a very nice independent backup if the plane happens go
really go south (not the cardinal direction).

Anyone have any experience using Jeppview? What are
the good points and the bad points?

thanks for the feedback.

Actually, you would use FliteDeck in the airplane. You get both
programs with the electronic subscription, JeppView and FliteDeck.

If you sit down and take the time to really learn how to use FliteDeck,
it is very good. The other issue is the system you will use to display
it. A tablet type display is by far the best.

Old April 12th 05, 12:57 PM
G Farris

What sort of cracks me up is their publicity. If you subscribe to some of the
major aviation magazines you'll see it - "New Technology . . Same Approach"

The funny part is that the "old" paper approach plate looks crisp and clear,
while the tablet disply is, well . . just sort off fuzzy. You can hardly read
the lettering, which jumps off the paper page!

G Faris

Old April 12th 05, 01:20 PM

G Farris wrote:

What sort of cracks me up is their publicity. If you subscribe to some of the
major aviation magazines you'll see it - "New Technology . . Same Approach"

The funny part is that the "old" paper approach plate looks crisp and clear,
while the tablet disply is, well . . just sort off fuzzy. You can hardly read
the lettering, which jumps off the paper page!

G Faris

That all depends on the quality of the display. The charts look great on my
laptop, but that is not a practical solution for in-flight.

Fuzzy charts = lousy display.

Old April 12th 05, 03:18 PM
Mike Rapoport

"G Farris" wrote in message
What sort of cracks me up is their publicity. If you subscribe to some of
the
major aviation magazines you'll see it - "New Technology . . Same
Approach"

The funny part is that the "old" paper approach plate looks crisp and
clear,
while the tablet disply is, well . . just sort off fuzzy. You can hardly
read
the lettering, which jumps off the paper page!

G Faris

The electronic charts look at least as good (as paper) in daylight if you
have a good display and there is no comparison at night. A feature that I
really like is having my position plotted on the airport diagram.

Mike
MU-2

Old April 12th 05, 03:27 PM

The electronic charts look at least as good (as paper) in daylight if you
have a good display and there is no comparison at night. A feature that I
really like is having my position plotted on the airport diagram.

Mike
MU-2

The airport diagram moving map is nothing short of fantastic. Jet Blue has
that set up and will almost certainly never have a runway incursion.

Old April 12th 05, 03:57 PM
G. Sylvester

Sorry but maybe I wasn't clear. The primary purpose of using
the Jeppview is for the plates. I'll probably have to print
out the plates and not use a digital tablet. Maybe when I
get my own plane I'll splurge (doing it electronically sounds
a lot cleaner then flipping through tons of paper. But for
now, it would be primarily for replacing the paper subscription
of the Jepp plates. So for that purpose, how does it
compare?

Thanks for the replies already. Sounds like I gotta get
a tablet....along with a plane.

Gerald
Old April 12th 05, 04:52 PM

"G. Sylvester" wrote:

Sorry but maybe I wasn't clear. The primary purpose of using
the Jeppview is for the plates. I'll probably have to print
out the plates and not use a digital tablet. Maybe when I
get my own plane I'll splurge (doing it electronically sounds
a lot cleaner then flipping through tons of paper. But for
now, it would be primarily for replacing the paper subscription
of the Jepp plates. So for that purpose, how does it
compare?

A printed chart from JeppView is as good as your printer because they
are vector-based. If you print at full page they are much easier to
read than a standard Jeppesen paper chart. And, the color charts look
great in color, although that isn't essential.

Old April 12th 05, 07:52 PM

JeppView/FliteDeck is the best kept secret in GA. Jeppesen market
heavily to airlines, corporate, jet operators & part 135, but did not
do enough to market this package to GA. I have only subscribed to
their southwest service for 2 months and I am loving it! So far I use
it the way you intended - replace my paper charts subscription.
However, the potentials of FliteDeck, both at home & in aircraft, are
unbelievable.

JeppView v. paper Jepp charts.
Pro:
Easy update, your computer does the work v. What a pain
Update through mail & website, available anywhere v. Mail only
No more heavy flight bag v. Weight depending on subscribed areas, could
be significant
Can be installed on 4 PCs (home, office, airport & portable pc) v. One
1 set of charts
Limited flight plan function v. None
FliteDeck v. None
Con:
Must print to use, but JeppView makes printing easy to manage v.
Already printed
Limited flight plan function unless you also get FlightStar v. None

What makes JeppView/FliteDeck a good buy is FliteDeck, even if you only
use it at home in simulated mode to familiar yourself with the planned
flight. I tried to use it in my plane on my portable, but it seems
difficult because the size of my portable PC. I have order a sun light
readable touch screen monitor designed for car PC, and it should arrive
this week. My plan is to use my portable PC connected to the $200
touch screen and my old Precedus GPS. I will mount the monitor within
my view, and the portable PC could be kept anywhere within the reach of
all cables. To increase reliability, I reformatted my hard drive, and
installed only programs that I need for aircraft use. Since I already
have the PC & GPS, my hardware investment is only $200 for the monitor.

Preliminary testing shows my portable PC not having enough computing
power for track up mode, but it is ok on north up mode. If this setup
works well, I might upgrade my portable PC to a car PC which could have
all computing power & memory my budget could afford.

I have very limited experience with AnywhereMap, thus, I am not qualify
to compare JeppView/FliteDeck with AnywhereMap. TureFlight seems to be
a very good program too, but it also uses government charts. I am so
used to Jepp charts and the few times I used government charts, I just
did not like them.

Overall, JeppView/FliteDeck subscription is the less costly and "legal"
solution for my charts, update, & moving map requirement in a format
that I am familiar with. Plus, if and when I get FliteDeck to work, I
will have the same moving map as those jet pilots.

Information on affordable sunlight readable touch screen monitors
www.mp3car.com (general info & forums)
www.xenarc.com (well known brand)
search on ebay for Tview T-700TS (cheap, I mean affordable brand)