Jeppview vs. paper Jepp Plates

Old April 12th 05, 07:53 PM

JeppView/FliteDeck is the best kept secret in GA. Jeppesen market
heavily to airlines, corporate, jet operators & part 135, but did not
do enough to market this package to GA. I have only subscribed to
their southwest service for 2 months and I am loving it! So far I use
it the way you intended - replace my paper charts subscription.
However, the potentials of FliteDeck, both at home & in aircraft, are
unbelievable.

JeppView v. paper Jepp charts.
Pro:
Easy update, your computer does the work v. What a pain
Update through mail & website, available anywhere v. Mail only
No more heavy flight bag v. Weight depending on subscribed areas, could
be significant
Can be installed on 4 PCs (home, office, airport & portable pc) v. One
1 set of charts
Limited flight plan function v. None
FliteDeck v. None
Con:
Must print to use, but JeppView makes printing easy to manage v.
Already printed
Limited flight plan function unless you also get FlightStar v. None

What makes JeppView/FliteDeck a good buy is FliteDeck, even if you only
use it at home in simulated mode to familiar yourself with the planned
flight. I tried to use it in my plane on my portable, but it seems
difficult because the size of my portable PC. I have order a sun light
readable touch screen monitor designed for car PC, and it should arrive
this week. My plan is to use my portable PC connected to the $200
touch screen and my old Precedus GPS. I will mount the monitor within
my view, and the portable PC could be kept anywhere within the reach of
all cables. To increase reliability, I reformatted my hard drive, and
installed only programs that I need for aircraft use. Since I already
have the PC & GPS, my hardware investment is only $200 for the monitor.

Preliminary testing shows my portable PC not having enough computing
power for track up mode, but it is ok on north up mode. If this setup
works well, I might upgrade my portable PC to a car PC which could have
all computing power & memory my budget could afford.

I have very limited experience with AnywhereMap, thus, I am not qualify
to compare JeppView/FliteDeck with AnywhereMap. TureFlight seems to be
a very good program too, but it also uses government charts. I am so
used to Jepp charts and the few times I used government charts, I just
did not like them.

Overall, JeppView/FliteDeck subscription is the less costly and "legal"
solution for my charts, update, & moving map requirement in a format
that I am familiar with. Plus, if and when I get FliteDeck to work, I
will have the same moving map as those jet pilots.

Information on affordable sunlight readable touch screen monitors
www.mp3car.com (general info & forums)
www.xenarc.com (well known brand)
search on ebay for Tview T-700TS (cheap, I mean affordable brand)

Old April 12th 05, 08:05 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, " said:
Easy update, your computer does the work v. What a pain
Update through mail & website, available anywhere v. Mail only

Does that mean if you're at an "away" airport and find yourself about to
head off to parts unknown you can download charts? Of course that assumes
you have the electronic flight bag or a printer.

Can be installed on 4 PCs (home, office, airport & portable pc) v. One
1 set of charts

I wonder what they'd think if one of those computers was shared by the
whole flying club?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I call these twits pseudo-literate. That is, they can read but won't.
Old April 12th 05, 08:16 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, (Paul Tomblin) said:
In a previous article, " said:
Easy update, your computer does the work v. What a pain
Update through mail & website, available anywhere v. Mail only

Does that mean if you're at an "away" airport and find yourself about to
head off to parts unknown you can download charts? Of course that assumes
you have the electronic flight bag or a printer.

Whoa! I just went looking on the Jeppesen web site, and was disappointed
that there is hardly any price difference - Jeppview for Eastern US and
Eastern Canada is $852, and a Standard Airway Manual Service for the same
coverage is $980, for a mere $128 savings using the Jeppview. Considering
what they must save in printing and shipping and handling costs, I'm
surprised that Jeppview isn't way cheaper.

Oh well, "what the market will bear", I guess. They'd rather sell X
subscriptions at $Y than 2X at $Y-30%.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
- Donald Knuth
Old April 12th 05, 08:20 PM

In a previous article, " said:
Easy update, your computer does the work v. What a pain
Update through mail & website, available anywhere v. Mail only

Does that mean if you're at an "away" airport and find yourself about to
head off to parts unknown you can download charts? Of course that assumes
you have the electronic flight bag or a printer.

Whoa! I just went looking on the Jeppesen web site, and was disappointed
that there is hardly any price difference - Jeppview for Eastern US and
Eastern Canada is $852, and a Standard Airway Manual Service for the same
coverage is $980, for a mere $128 savings using the Jeppview. Considering
what they must save in printing and shipping and handling costs, I'm
surprised that Jeppview isn't way cheaper.

They still send CDs out every two weeks.

And, you can opt to update the charts on-line, although it takes a long time
unless you have access to broadband.

I was in a remote location last January when the charting cycle expired. It took
about an hour to get it all current via a local Earthlink dialup connection.

Old April 12th 05, 08:41 PM

When I said the update is easy, I mean I put new CD that I received
from Jeppesen and the install program does the work; I do not need to
remove old paper charts and insert new ones. If I am on the road and
cannot receive CD that Jeppesen mailed to my home, I can access Jepp's
website and update my portable through the web.

I think your reply means if I go to a part of the world that is not in
my subscribed area, can I download that area. I actually called Jepp
on that. My subscrition only covered "southwest" and if I need to
travel to Seattle, I can buy a JeppView "TripKit" which is not on their
website, but available by calling customer service. The "TripKit"
works the same way paper TripKit works, but it is for JeppView. I have
not tried it yet, but during JeppView installation, install program
asked me if I have additional access code for coverage areas. I would
think when I called for JeppView TripKit, I paid with my credit card
and customer service would issue me an additional, one time only access
code for the area I am going to. Anyone who has experience please
share your experience of using JeppView Tripkit.

As for sharing computer in a club, I asked about Jepp's muti-user
license. The customer service person told me that additional muti-user
license save on the one-time $100 setup fee, and can activate on
additonal 4 computers. In my case, I paid $100 setup plus $195 a year
for southwest coverage. If my friend want to share my setup, we pay
additonal $195 a year, and between us, we can activate upto 8
computers. Please note that I use "activate" then "install" because
the program as is could be installed to as many PC as you want, but if
you do not activate that installation, the program stops working after
30 days.

I have not asked if the 8 computers could be used by more than 2 pilots
with more than 2 aircrafts. But it would be great if 4 people could
share 2 muti-user licenses with each person having 2 program
activations. That would be more affordable than paper charts
subscritions.

Old April 12th 05, 08:57 PM
Mitty

If you're not wedded to Jepp, take a look at seatlleavionics.com SmartPlates.
The plates are free and the software has excellent plate management and printing
capability. (I'm looking forward to trying SmartPlates on a new HP TC1100
tablet that I just got!)

http://seattleavionics.com/default.asp

On 4/12/2005 9:57 AM, G. Sylvester wrote the following:

Sorry but maybe I wasn't clear. The primary purpose of using
the Jeppview is for the plates. I'll probably have to print
out the plates and not use a digital tablet. Maybe when I
get my own plane I'll splurge (doing it electronically sounds
a lot cleaner then flipping through tons of paper. But for
now, it would be primarily for replacing the paper subscription
of the Jepp plates. So for that purpose, how does it
compare?

Thanks for the replies already. Sounds like I gotta get
a tablet....along with a plane.

Gerald

Old April 12th 05, 09:35 PM

Paul Tomblin wrote:

Yes, but if I were Jeppesen, I'd make one CD/DVD that covered the whole
world, and just have the software disable the bits you hadn't bought
coverage for. That would reduce their handling costs by a HUGE amount.
Plus it means that buying extra coverage would be a matter of downloading
a cryptographic token to unlock the extras. They could even give you the
equivalent of a "Trip Kit" - unlocking a coverage area just for one update
cycle.

Every disk sent out has the entire world on it. It's always been that way since
Jeppview first came out.

Old April 12th 05, 09:42 PM

They do. It is not on their website, but they do have JeppView TripKit.

Old April 12th 05, 11:34 PM

" wrote:

Overall, JeppView/FliteDeck subscription is the less costly and "legal"
solution for my charts, update, & moving map requirement in a format
that I am familiar with. Plus, if and when I get FliteDeck to work, I
will have the same moving map as those jet pilots.

Only a small percentage of jet pilots have it up and running. The best
installations are the 777 and the new Gulfstream where FliteDeck is
essentially a part of the FMS and multi-function displays.

I agree with your assessments. The moving map in this version is very,
very good. The only complaint I have it some of the airway stuff
disappears at working scales, such as short segment mileages. And, there
are no cumulative "D" DME distances. That's why they still issue us the
paper en route charts, I was told.