Solo IFR Currency

Old July 29th 05, 12:09 AM
S Herman

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:21:08 -0700, Mark Hansen
wrote:

Actually, that's not quite true. You are required to have an IFR
flight plan and ATC clearance before you can fly in IMC within
controlled airspace (or within Class A regardless of the weather).

If you're outside controlled airspace, this rule doesn't apply.

But ... that's a whole 'nuther can-o-worms ;-)

So, where/when can you fly in the clouds (IMC) without an IFR flight
plan & an ATC clearance?
Old July 29th 05, 01:03 AM
max

So, where/when can you fly in the clouds (IMC) without an IFR flight
plan & an ATC clearance?

In class G airspace.

Old July 29th 05, 01:20 AM
Rich

xyzzy wrote:
Julian Scarfe wrote:

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in message
oups.com...

No, you'd be violating 91.113(b).

"...vigilance shall be maintained" is somewhat subjective. One could
argue that most pilots bust that one on every flight. What if you pop
the hood up every 30 seconds?

Fortunately 91.109(b) requires no interpretaion whatsoever:

(b) No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated instrument
flight unless-
(1) The other control seat is occupied by a safety pilot who possesses
at least a private pilot certificate with category and class ratings
appropriate to the aircraft being flown.

(2) The safety pilot has adequate vision forward and to each side of
the aircraft, or a competent observer in the aircraft adequately
supplements the vision of the safety pilot; and

(3) Except in the case of lighter-than-air aircraft, that aircraft is
equipped with fully functioning dual controls...

bummer for throwover-yoke Bo pilots

Read the FAR's further... there IS an exception.

Rich

Old July 29th 05, 02:35 PM
Ron Natalie

max wrote:
So, where/when can you fly in the clouds (IMC) without an IFR flight
plan & an ATC clearance?

In class G airspace.

Which there is precious little of that meets the IFR rules for
minimum altitudes.
Old July 29th 05, 04:06 PM
Ross Richardson

Now that is interesting. I have been a safety pilot for a friend of mine
that has a single control Bo and I never gave it a thought.

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Old July 29th 05, 08:18 PM
Marco Leon

Wow, so technically you can't practice IFR approaches under the hood in
throw-over yoke Bonanzas? Interesting.

Marco Leon

http://www.usenet.com
Old July 29th 05, 08:49 PM
Gary Drescher

"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote in message
Wow, so technically you can't practice IFR approaches under the hood in
throw-over yoke Bonanzas? Interesting.

91.109b3: "...However, simulated instrument flight may be conducted in a
single-engine airplane, equipped with a single, functioning, throwover
control wheel, in place of fixed, dual controls of the elevator and
ailerons, when- (i) The safety pilot has determined that the flight can be
conducted safely; and (ii) The person manipulating the controls has at least
a private pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings."

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/

Old July 29th 05, 09:01 PM
Andy

S Herman wrote:
Assuming VMC conditions, is it legal for a current IR pilot to file an
IFR flight plan, and fly the flight *solo* wearing a hood, to meet
currency requirements? Of course the hood would be off for take-off
and upon completing an approach with a landing. Not that it's the
safest or smartest way to do this, but can it be done legally without
a safety pilot?

25 years ago I had an instructor that told me he did exactly that on a
flight between Yuma and Long Beach. I never flew with him again.

Andy

Old August 3rd 05, 12:51 AM
Bill

Even in B airspace, you are not separated to IFR standards if
you call in VFR.

Bill Hale

Old August 3rd 05, 01:41 AM
Hilton

max wrote:
So, where/when can you fly in the clouds (IMC) without an IFR flight
plan & an ATC clearance?

In class G airspace.

The FAA has ruled that this is in violation of 91.13.

Hilton

Frst Solo, Non-stop Round the World Airplane Flight Larry Dighera Piloting 7 March 4th 05 03:51 PM
1.4 solo.. Beav Rotorcraft 0 November 5th 04 12:27 AM
First Solo In Actual Conditions David B. Cole Piloting 22 September 3rd 04 11:40 PM
Catastrophic Decompression; Small Place Solo Aviation Piloting 193 January 13th 04 08:52 PM