Does a Garmin GPS save a track?

Old January 28th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Al G[_1_]

Default Does a Garmin GPS save a track?

Hi,

Does a Garmin 530W capture a downloadable track? 496?

Al G

Old January 28th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter Clark

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:45:58 -0800, "Al G"
wrote:

Hi,

Does a Garmin 530W capture a downloadable track? 496?

I don't believe the 400 or 500 series saves tracks, but I could be
mistaken.
Old January 28th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Al G[_1_]

"John Collins" wrote in message
The 500 and 400 series don't save a track for downloading. The 396 and 496
do.

Thanks, does it have some kind of common connector? USB maybe, or bluetooth?

Al G

Old January 28th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
tjd

On Jan 28, 6:15*pm, "Al G" wrote:
Thanks, does it have some kind of common connector? USB maybe, or bluetooth?

I believe all the x96s use USB; the x95's and older models are RS-232
serial.

If you just want the track logs you could also buy a cheaper ($100)
non-aviation GPS - most of them store a track log (I know my 295, GPS-
V, and old GPS-12 did). I've also lamented the lack of that feature
on my shiny expensive 430W.
Old January 29th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Al G wrote:
"John Collins" wrote in message

The 500 and 400 series don't save a track for downloading. The 396 and 496
do.

Thanks, does it have some kind of common connector? USB maybe, or bluetooth?

Al G

296, 396, 496, inexpensive Garmin to USB cable available from Garmin or
its dealers. The best bet is TVNAV.COM
Old January 29th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Al G[_1_]

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
Al G wrote:
"John Collins" wrote in message

The 500 and 400 series don't save a track for downloading. The 396 and
496 do.

Thanks, does it have some kind of common connector? USB maybe, or
bluetooth?

Al G

296, 396, 496, inexpensive Garmin to USB cable available from Garmin or
its dealers. The best bet is TVNAV.COM

Thanks.

I've got an old yellow etrex, I could try that. I'm a CFII flying with a
guy that has
a 530W and a 496 in the aircraft. I didn't see a USB on the 496, so like you
said, it apparently requires a cable. It would be nice to display the actual
ground track after rooting around in the clouds for an hour.

Al G

Old January 29th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Clay[_2_]

I used to have a Garmin 90 GPS. It kept track. Was helpful when
sending a student on a cross country. I would hide it in the
airplane and check it when they got back.
Old January 29th 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Al G wrote:
"Sam Spade" wrote in message

Al G wrote:

"John Collins" wrote in message
.. .

The 500 and 400 series don't save a track for downloading. The 396 and
496 do.

Thanks, does it have some kind of common connector? USB maybe, or
bluetooth?

Al G

296, 396, 496, inexpensive Garmin to USB cable available from Garmin or
its dealers. The best bet is TVNAV.COM

Thanks.

I've got an old yellow etrex, I could try that. I'm a CFII flying with a
guy that has
a 530W and a 496 in the aircraft. I didn't see a USB on the 496, so like you
said, it apparently requires a cable. It would be nice to display the actual
ground track after rooting around in the clouds for an hour.

Al G

He wouldn't have the USB cable connected in the airplane.

Old January 30th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Al,

I didn't see a USB on the 496, so like you
said, it apparently requires a cable.

He's got that at home. IOW, it comes with the unit.

It would be nice to display the actual
ground track after rooting around in the clouds for an hour.

Even better: Go to www.gpsvisualizer.com, make it a KML file and load it in
Google Earth. Altitude is logged, too, by the Garmins (not by the Lowrances).

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Citabria Wheel track? Fortunat1 Home Built 2 September 21st 07 06:38 PM
Track Santa Barney Frank Piloting 7 December 25th 05 12:33 PM
Keeping track of students BoDEAN Piloting 7 February 28th 04 06:56 AM
Save The Lut Daniel General Aviation 0 December 7th 03 05:46 PM
Track IR ? Denis Winters Simulators 0 August 22nd 03 05:16 AM