A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » General Aviation
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Prospective student pilot worried about medical

Old March 15th 13, 02:21 AM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Mar 2013
Default Prospective student pilot worried about medical

Hi all,
I'm new here, hope this is an ok subject for this page. I am a prospective private pilot student. My only worry is getting my third class medical. What concerns me is my vision. My right eye is good, an easy 20/25 maybe 20/20 corrected on a good day. My left eye however, is a solid 20/70 corrected. I understand the requirements are 20/40 corrected for each eye, hence my concern. I hear about some pilots getting certain wavers in similar situations, is this something I would likely qualify for. If I am doomed I would hate to be disqualified from sport pilot too, so if the consensus is I will fail, I will likely just go with lsa. Other than the left eye, I am in fantastic health. I am a yipper snapper At 21 years old if that makes any difference.

Many thanks,
Alex

Last edited by Alexl : March 15th 13 at 02:24 AM.
Old March 15th 13, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Orval Fairbairn
external usenet poster

Default Prospective student pilot worried about medical

In article ,
Alexl wrote:

Hi all,
I'm new here, hope this is an ok subject for this page. I am a
prospective private pilot student. My only worry is getting my third
class medical. What concerns me is my vision. My right eye is good, an
easy 20/25 maybe 20/20 corrected on a good day. My left eye however, is
a solid 20/70 corrected. I understand the requirements are 20/40
corrected for each eye, hence my concern. I hear about some pilots
getting certain wavers in similar situations, is this something I would
likely qualify for. If I am doomed I would hate to be disqualified from
sport pilot too, so if the consensus is I will fail, I will likely just
go with lsa. Other than the left eye, I am in fantastic health. I am a
yipper snapper At 21 years old if that makes any difference.

Many thanks,
Alex

One-eyed pilots can get medicals, so rest assuded, you should be able to
get one, too.
Old June 16th 15, 03:48 AM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Jun 2015

Alex,

Although this is really late, I would encourage you to go after getting a medical. If all you've done is look on the FAA's website, you should definitely go to an AME and ask them because the websites are really misleading. The truth is, you can pretty much get a waiver for just about anything, granted you're able to perform your pilot duties properly. I'm only 15, so don't take this as a guarantor of anything. But, I myself have ADHD, what I thought was an outright DQ for all medical certificates, but I was able to get a waiver after talking to an AME. So, I wish the same luck for you, if you still haven't gotten the courage to talk to one since March of 2013.