Greatest Number of Traps

Old March 23rd 05, 05:30 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"Red Rider" wrote:

(AirNavalGunfireLiaisonCompany). While training at Camp Lejeune NC, I
noticed something unique about their way of conducting a pay day. Of course
they had the standard pay officer, also the corpsman checking shot records,
pay guard, etc. but the 1st Sgt. was seated next to the pay officer.
Everytime a man that had a fine from NJP (Marines call it Office Hours) the
1st Sgt would announce the amount of the fine in a loud voice. The pay
officer would loudly count out the money to the Marine. Then the Marine had
to pay the fine to the 1st Sgt, who would then announce again in a loud
voice that he had received a payment of $XXX from "so-in-so". And that this
was whatever payment of whatever total fine that "so-in-so" had received for
his crime which was __________! But it wasn't over. The 1st Sgt would then
turn to the pay officer and announce that he had collected the fine for etc.
from "so-in-so" for doing "whatever" and would then announce that this was
payment X of X payments etc. Then the pay officer would tell the 1st Sgt
that on behalf of the Marine Corps, the Dept of the Navy, the Sec of
Defense, the President, and the people of the United States of America etc.
that he accepted payment X of X payments for the crime of X committed by
'so-in-so.

Everyone enjoyed the show, except the individual paying the fine.

Wasn't a USMC-wide practice, nor, as of 1961 - 1962, a CLNC or
2dMarDiv-wide practice. OTOH, there was nothing in those days
precluding a CO, company, battalion, or even regimental, from
establishing such a practice. Dunno who was training you
[2ndANGLICO?], but it doesn't surprise me. Every unit I was ever
in did different things as "standard" on cash pay days. Some,
such as the periodic shot-card checks, Navy Relief/CFC
"encouragements", carried over to the check era. Periodically,
instead of your Platoon Sergeant or Shop NCOIC in aviation
handing you your paycheck on the 5th/20th, the whole unit would
muster along with a battery of corpsmen, your health/shot records
at their side, ready to administer anything up to and including
GOK what. Or to be lectured by the poor SLJO stuck with running
the CFC campaign.
--
OJ III
Old March 23rd 05, 06:42 PM
Mike Kanze

OJ,

This turn of thread reminds me of what Gunny Martin told all of us
Midshipmen before we left our NROTC unit for summer cruise.

There are three documents your must NEVER, under any circumstances, let out
of your sight or secure possession until you reach your next duty station:

* Your pay record.
* Your shot card.
* Your Shellback certificate (if you had one).

--
Mike Kanze

"You're never too old to become younger."

- Mae West

Old March 23rd 05, 09:12 PM
Jim

Mike Kanze wrote:
OJ,

This turn of thread reminds me of what Gunny Martin told all of us
Midshipmen before we left our NROTC unit for summer cruise.

There are three documents your must NEVER, under any circumstances, let out
of your sight or secure possession until you reach your next duty station:

* Your Shellback certificate (if you had one).*

How many can equate to this? My second crossing was in many ways worse
than the first. Unlike the polliwogs I spent hours on the flight deck.
My sunburn lasted longer than their welts.

Old March 23rd 05, 09:57 PM
Mike Kanze

Much depends on the ratio of wogs to Shellbacks.

CORAL MARU's 1975 cruise took the ship across the line for the first time in
several years. Thus there weren't as many Shellbacks aboard who could mete
out the requisite rites as circumstances might otherwise have demanded. The
wogs suffered relatively little.

But on the following cruise, and with a high percentage of Shellbacks
aboard...

--
Mike Kanze (still a wog)

Old March 24th 05, 08:11 AM
Dave in San Diego

"Bob McKellar" wrote in
:

"Jim" wrote in message
Gord Beaman wrote:

Well yes, I certainly do...I remember that they'd set up ropes on
stanchions leading up to a table set out on the hangar floor
where the 'Paymaster' (usually a captain) sat with his helpers
(two or three airmen, corporals usually) with ledgers etc, and a
couple of Military Police overlooking all and sundry. We'd march
smartly the last few feet, salute, state our name rank
and serial number, be presented with our stipend (in cash of
course) sign for it, salute and bog off smartly. T'was called
'Pay Parade' and everyone loved it. Been a long time I must
admit...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)

Can't forget a Navy variation of this. Sitting at the table in the
middle were the corpsmen. After getting the flu shot you got your
pay!

And just around the corner in the passageway, the loan sharks and
gamblers collecting from their victims.

Bob McKellar, actual former disbursing officer from the days of cash

Got to be a pay guard for cash paydays in Japan in the mid-70s. One time
the pay officer told me I didn't need to put the clip in the '45, and I
told him he needed to find a new pay guard.

Dave in San Diego
Old March 24th 05, 08:14 AM
Dave in San Diego

Jim wrote in :

Mike Kanze wrote:
OJ,

This turn of thread reminds me of what Gunny Martin told all of us
Midshipmen before we left our NROTC unit for summer cruise.

There are three documents your must NEVER, under any circumstances,
let out of your sight or secure possession until you reach your next
duty station:

* Your Shellback certificate (if you had one).*

How many can equate to this? My second crossing was in many ways
worse than the first. Unlike the polliwogs I spent hours on the
flight deck.
My sunburn lasted longer than their welts.

Amen. My first one was overcast and almost rainy, actually pretty
comfortable in August heading for the IO. Second time was a scorcher!

Dave in San Diego
Old March 24th 05, 07:31 PM
Yofuri

Dave in San Diego wrote:
"Bob McKellar" wrote in
:

"Jim" wrote in message

Gord Beaman wrote:

[...]

Don't tell me I'm the only one old enough to remember short-arm
inspections every payday. Also, learning to salute and request
permission to leave the ship while displaying ID card, liberty card, bar
of hotel soap and pack of rubbers to indicate readiness to go ashore.

Rick

Old March 25th 05, 02:23 AM
Gord Beaman

Yofuri wrote:

Dave in San Diego wrote:
"Bob McKellar" wrote in
:

"Jim" wrote in message

Gord Beaman wrote:

[...]

You poor buggers...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old March 26th 05, 04:27 AM
w4okw

I wore Aviation Greens all the way up until 1998 when I retrired. I
thought
they were still in the seabag today.

They were the best! I wore greens at my retirement ceremony.

Tom Clarke
CDR USN(Ret)
Herk Driver, but I did get 15 traps in the T-28 and S-2
back in the day when all Naval Aviators hit the boat during flight training.
The good old daze!

Old March 26th 05, 10:28 PM
Bob

I ran him through a few FCLPs and he flew it from the left seat. Made
a fair approach considering his shakey knees.