SSA Convention goers - please read this...

Old January 30th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SSA Convention goers - please read this...

1. Soaring will die without attracting 20-to-30-year-olds.
2. 20-to-30-year-olds listen to podcasts (http://tinyurl.com/ad39p).
3. The SSA convention is the single best source of audio on soaring.
4. Please RECORD the SSA convention with your CELLPHONE, read:
http://tinyurl.com/8qbvf

Any audio you can provide will be great!

Thank you,
Richard Freytag

Old January 30th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

What is a podcast ? Is it realtime or recorded ?

Do the SSA/local organizers not make an 'official'
recording ? If not, why not suggest it to them; then
it might also be available to old farts like me who
understand old-fashioned media.

Ian

At 14:30 30 January 2006, Richardfreytag wrote:
1. Soaring will die without attracting 20-to-30-year-olds.
2. 20-to-30-year-olds listen to podcasts (http://tinyurl.com/ad39p
).

Old January 30th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Ian,

Podcast is audio for a personal audio device (repeating the link above,
read this: http://tinyurl.com/ad39p). Podcasting is a
20-to-30-year-old thing. We want soaring to survive then podcasting is
important.

I have contacted the SSA but they are busy so I need volunteers to:
1. put their cellphones on the podium,
2. ask the speakers permission,
3. pick up cellphone after talk.

Please read SHORT instructions: http://tinyurl.com/cgf2e
PRINTABLE instructions: (http://tinyurl.com/b5263)

Thanks,
Richard

Old January 30th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

RichardFreytag wrote:
Hi Ian,

Podcast is audio for a personal audio device (repeating the link above,
read this: http://tinyurl.com/ad39p). Podcasting is a
20-to-30-year-old thing. We want soaring to survive then podcasting is
important.

I assume you mean podcasts are for the 20-30 year old crowd. Hardly.
There are plenty of podcasts to appeal to 40 somethings, like me, and
older. Much of npr's programing is available for download as are all
kinds of talk, sports, and opinion (lots of opinion) shows. The sub 30
crowd is simply more reliant on their computer rather than print, tv, or
radio for news. Podcasts are an extension of that familiarity. Plus
many have ipods or other MP3 players anyway so the need to be near the
computer to listen is obviated.

Shawn
(Science Friday and Air America podcast fan)
Old January 30th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Shawn is right - podcasts are for all ages. But soaring needs
20-to-30-year-olds and podcasts are the way to do it.

Please, if you are going to the convention RECORD talks with your
CELLPHONE (short instructions he http://tinyurl.com/cgf2e).

Thanks,
Richard

Old January 30th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Very impressive...the SSA on top of everything else, has met and
decided they "are Ok with it." Just got the word from Jim Skydell.

We only need permission of the speaker. If you record a talk start
taping and then ask permission of the speaker to tape the talk and
leave the recorder running on the podium if they say yes. You can use
your CELLPHONE: http://tinyurl.com/cgf2e

Thanks,
Richard

Old January 30th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Podcasts also have appeal to us mid-50s types. And having SSA
Convention podcasts available would be great for those who can't
attend. It's not the same without the presentation materials or being
able to see the speaker but it's a great idea nevertheless, especially
since the last time the proceedings of a convention were printed up was
many (at least 20?) years ago.

Based on my past convention trips, I can also see this being attractive
to attendees who now have to choose between two conflicting sessions.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Old January 30th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The benign attitude from the SSA about this deserves more praise. This
is not the SSA of 5 years ago - thank you.

Note, put the cellphones/recorders at a comfortable distance to
loudspeaker after recording the presenter's permission. The podium
might be crowded or busy.

Thanks,
Richard

Old January 31st 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Speaking as a 30 year old looking to start flying this spring, I really
look forward to hearing these. Thanks for working on this!

-Jeff