Another first glider query.

Old January 12th 11, 05:03 PM
Timinnc Timinnc is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy[_1_] View Post
On Jan 9, 1:33*pm, Timinnc wrote:[color=blue][i]
'Andy[_1_ Wrote:

41a has very heavy roll forces. Expect your right arm to bulk up
nicely or always ache. It also carries an open class fuselage around
on 15m wings. The canopy is two piece, not hinged, and heavy. It's a
handful (and more) to remove solo to exit the glider in a strong
wind. For someone with a long torso the seating position has to be
very reclined which will be uncomfortable for some.

As Mike says it's built strong. The gear design has carried over to
many of the later SZD gliders. It has a rather strange disk brake
which doesn't seem to work very well.

Despite all this I flew 350 hours in one and enjoyed nearly all of
them. As I said I didn't know any better.

I have never flown a 15 or the Std-2 so cannot offer an informed
opinion on those. At the time I was flying the 41a a club member
bought a new Std-2 and he certainly thought the performance was
better.

The 41a is a truck and the 19b a sports car. That was the impression
I got when moving from one to the other. If you can find someone to
compare the feel of the ASW-15 to that of the ASW-19 you may have a
useful data point.

Andy
OK then..... Anybody want to chime in on comparisons to a 15b vs 19 or direct comparisons to a 15b and a Jantar 41?
Old January 12th 11, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

Default Another first glider query.

I've owned and flown the SZD41 as well as a couple'a ASW19's and flown both
ASW15 and ASW15b
The SZD41 is a very honest and STURDY glider though cockpits on most of the
Jantar models you need to try to see how well you fit, the cockpit is long
so tall people fit but the panel is a long reach if you're flying with the
seatback far aft, if you fit and reach it's a pretty comfortable cockpit but
reach is the part you have to try.....also if you fly with the seat far
forward you'll have difficulty raising and lowering that big landing gear
since the retraction lever travels a long way and may be too far aft a reach
to be able to get it fully up.
The ASW15 is a small cockpit and if equipped with the original semi CG hook
mounted off to the side can be a thriller.or a killer..it can be a real
handful on take-off....! The 15b has a better and larger cockpit and some
improved handling.generally the ASW15b and ASW19 feel about the same and
performance is pretty similar, maybe at higher speeds the ASW19 has a slight
edge but it's relative.The older 15 will fall away quickly from any of these
gliders at anything above 50-60 knots. With handicaps these gliders are all
equal for club type contest though so irrelevant if that's the purpose...The
15b and 19 handle a bit crisper with the 41 feeling a bit over-stable and
wanting to continue whatever it is doing...probably takes a bit more force
on the stick but again, unless you're a weakling you'll get along just
fine....I'd guess the SZD41 probably fits in with the 15b for overall
performance and maybe just a tad slower than the ASW19....The Jantar is
however STRONG and built to take whatever you can dish out to it.they built
100's of these and many were in club use for decades...most are still flying
today..it's rare to find a Jantar with a busted tail but pretty common on
the Schleicher gilders plus the wheel is BIG and the brakes if well
maintained powerful on the Jantar also if you're attempting cross country
and find yourself landing in a field you'll appreciate this..assembly of all
of these gliders is about the same since none have automatic hook-ups, the
hook-up fittings on the Jantar are IMHO more positive and more robust than
the Schleicher gliders though and I think easier to insure they are properly
connected...all in all it's for the money a toss-up between any of
these...get the best condition glider of the bunch and the one with the best
trailer since these will make flying more enjoyable and the investment
better in the long run.then go fly it...a lot!....you'll get along with any
of these if you get to know the glider.
good luck
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"Timinnc" wrote in message
...[color=blue][i]

'Andy[_1_ Wrote:
;759710']On Jan 9, 1:33*pm, Timinnc

--
Timinnc

signature database 5782 (20110112) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5782 (20110112) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old January 13th 11, 04:06 AM
Timinnc Timinnc is offline
Junior Member

Once again Tim..... A big thank you!!!!!! But I will probably get a Cirrus. :-0) HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAA! Big tongue in cheek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Mara View Post
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"Timinnc" wrote in message
...[color=blue][i]

wrote:
'Andy[_1_ Wrote:

[...]

Yet another PA-28 wingtip query... Mike Spera Owning 2 August 4th 09 03:07 AM
PA-28-180 Low power query [email protected] Owning 14 October 7th 08 01:59 PM
Query on Geo Pilot GPS Mike Isaksen Piloting 7 August 8th 07 02:38 AM
Tool query... Tina Marie Owning 2 July 15th 04 05:20 AM
A query news Military Aviation 2 October 18th 03 04:27 PM