Adding a second CDI/GS

Old October 20th 03, 04:24 AM
MP

Default Adding a second CDI/GS

We have a Garmin GNS430, UPSAT SL30 NAC/COM and Sandel EHSI. I'd like to
add a second course deviation indicator/GS for when Murphy shows up and the
Sandel quits at the worst possible time.

A couple questions for the avionics gurus on r.a.o:

- How much is this going to cost? There's the cost of the instrument,
whatever switches and annunciators are needed, and maybe 8 shop hours for
installation and checkout. I'm guessing about $3k for the lot. Is that
realistic? Anything else?
- Can I switch the indicator between the 430 VOR/LOC/GS and the SL30 NAV
inputs?
- Is it very difficult/expensive (or worthwhile) to add the GPS deviation
info to the second indicator? We have an MX20 to use as a moving map while
setting the GNS430 display to CDI mode.

Thanks in advance for some free advice.
Old October 20th 03, 07:53 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
MP wrote:
We have a Garmin GNS430, UPSAT SL30 NAC/COM and Sandel EHSI. I'd like to
add a second course deviation indicator/GS

Don't the 430 AND the SL30 have builtin graphical CDIs? Good enough
for emergency purposes.

If you add a second CDI you should be able to drive it in parallel
with the HSI.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old December 25th 03, 10:43 PM
Tri Pacer Pilot

MP,

I did that in my Tripacer, have a GNS430 and Sandel and KX-125. The backup
indicator is a KI-209A. I had a couple of interesting moments because the
209A has a 'localizer' mode that is dependent on a LOCENGAGED low signal
that switches the TO/FROM flag to TO. The 430 doesn't really put this out
correctly. We got around it by tying it to the GPS/NAV switch.

I also had to use the P6 connector of the 430 for my nav output to the 209,
through a NAT 8pole relay.

So, let's see ....

NAT Relay - $160
KI-209A - $895
Switch and Light - $50
Avionics shop time - 3 to 4 hours
Redundancy - priceless.

Hope that this helps,

Rod Wagoner
Tucson, AZ

Old December 27th 03, 02:10 AM
Windecks

Thanks for the advice. I was afraid we were going to get locked into the
Garmin (read expensive) indicator. Maybe we can get it done for under $2k,
your way. Cool.

OBTW, a big AMEN on redundancy.

ink.net...