Glider Wraps, Gelcoat Refinishing

Old September 14th 12, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Glider Wraps, Gelcoat Refinishing

An example:

http://blog.aopa.org/lgfsweeps/?p=110
Old September 14th 12, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Friday, September 14, 2012 2:35:29 PM UTC-4, Tim Taylor wrote:
An example:
http://blog.aopa.org/lgfsweeps/?p=110

Darn, I was hoping for an example wrapped pilot.
Old September 14th 12, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Friday, September 14, 2012 11:35:29 AM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
An example:

http://blog.aopa.org/lgfsweeps/?p=110

Looks like he's got three years on it now. Might be worth contacting him to see how it worked long term.

Craig
Old September 15th 12, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Friday, September 14, 2012 12:42:56 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:
On Friday, September 14, 2012 11:35:29 AM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:

An example:

http://blog.aopa.org/lgfsweeps/?p=110

Looks like he's got three years on it now. Might be worth contacting him to see how it worked long term.

Craig

LOL on the wrapped canopy and pilot. However as strange as it sounds, it may be a much more attractive and affordable alternative to complete refinish. Looking forward to hear more about it and if it is indeed a viable alternative.

Ramy
Old September 15th 12, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

Hi Bob

For your particular problem you do not need a full wrap but the following
could help

http://www.streckenflug.at/shop/prod...roducts_id=800
Old September 15th 12, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Wrapping an aircraft isn't new.

Back in 1983, I saw several F-104 Starfighters in white shrink-wrap material. They were to be shipped from Luke Air Force Base, Arizona, to Taiwan. The F-104's were at Luke for training German pilots. However, in the early 80's, the Luftwaffe was changing over to Tornado's and the training program, run not by the U.S. Air Force, but by Lockheed came to an end.

Herbert, how's your project coming? If you want to increase the scope of the project, just shrink wrap the Cobra with LS8 inside and ship to me. I'll continue the test and you can go and get yourself a self-launcher that you've would like to have!

Ray
Old September 17th 12, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

On Sep 15, 7:34*am, rlovinggood wrote:
Wrapping an aircraft isn't new.

Back in 1983, I saw several F-104 Starfighters in white shrink-wrap material. *They were to be shipped from Luke Air Force Base, Arizona, to Taiwan. *The F-104's were at Luke for training German pilots. However, in the early 80's, the Luftwaffe was changing over to Tornado's and the training program, run not by the U.S. Air Force, but by Lockheed came to an end.

Herbert, how's your project coming? *If you want to increase the scope of the project, just shrink wrap the Cobra with LS8 inside and ship to me. *I'll continue the test and you can go and get yourself a self-launcher that you've would like to have!

Ray

....just shrink wrap the Cobra with LS8 inside and ship to me.
Ray, I would gladly comply and ship my LS8 to you! Problem is, you
wouldn't know what to do with it!
(You had it coming)
Herb
Old September 17th 12, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

I rubbed off portions of my old contest number on a glider years ago
to convert JB to JE for the new owner. The otherwise crazed gel coat
looked perfect where the numbers had been. It was kind of eerie to see
how much protection had been provided by that thin layer of gray
lacquer.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.
Old September 27th 12, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I would call Dick Butler he can tell you about that. Dick Butler's Concordia has - from the reports I've read - some control surfaces wrapped in Monocote, a shrink film used for model airplanes. This was done solely for mass reduction

I could see Monocote(high heat film) and Oracover(low heat activated film) being used in this capacity but it depends on what is underlaying. Generally RC films work well and easily with balsa and obeechi sheeting. They can be applied on raw, clean (parting wax removed completely) fiberglass but that's not as easy and really hard if the surface is a curved or of complex shape. And films often have to be tempered meaning the first few times in the sunlight they can bubble/relax and sag from heat and have to be reheated/re-shrunk. The car wrap technology sounds interesting and appears to work well on complex surfaces. It would be interesting to see how it is done.