Garmin 600

Old September 13th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dico

Default Garmin 600

Hello,

Does anyone have any more information about this new product from
Garmin? Price or any reviews that may be out already?

http://www.garmin.com/products/g600/#

Thanks,

-dr

Old September 14th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

There is a brief article on the G600 in the "Airways" section of the
September issue of Flying Magazine. No prices, though.

-Elliott Drucker
Old September 14th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dico

I suppose if I have to ask.... I can't afford it!

-dr

Old September 14th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dico

Wow... that is quite the price! I think i'll wait a while. ;-)

-dr

Mike Rapoport wrote:
MSRP $29,772

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/aviation/072306a.html

wrote:
There is a brief article on the G600 in the "Airways" section of the
September issue of Flying Magazine. No prices, though.

-Elliott Drucker

I thought I saw $27,000 (uninstalled) somewhere.

- Don
Any nation that does not honor its heroes will not long endure
- A. Lincoln

Old September 14th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

That's actually an amazing deal when you consider all it replaces. It
would probably cost you more than that just to replace all your gyros,
radio, GPS, etc. I fly a G1000 and love it. For the computer savy
pilot, it just makes everything easier.

-Robert

Old September 14th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 14-Sep-2006, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

That's actually an amazing deal when you consider all it replaces. It
would probably cost you more than that just to replace all your gyros,
radio, GPS, etc

Except that (as I read the article in Flying Magazine) the G600 does not
actually include a GPS. It requires inputs from a "compatible navigator"
which would typically be a GNS 430 or -530 (and might include others -- I
don't know). If you don't already have one of these you can add another
$7-8K to the price to make the G600 fully functional. It also does not
appear to include any com or nav radios, or a transponder. Of course, the
numbers quoted in this thread may include the navigator and other radios,
but I kind of doubt it. In any case, the G600 is intended for aftermarket
retrofit, and existing planes that are candidates for this high-end goody
most likely already have a full compliment of avionics.

-Elliott Drucker
Old September 14th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

wrote in message

[...]

They may have a full complement, but they're dated.

Old September 15th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:
but I kind of doubt it. In any case, the G600 is intended for aftermarket
retrofit, and existing planes that are candidates for this high-end goody
most likely already have a full compliment of avionics.

They may have a full complement, but they're dated.

If you are someone who wants to have the latest "stylish" panel, then
perhaps glass is the way to go. For most of us, glass gives us no
capability that "dated" panels do not, except that the "dated" panels
have worked for decades, and that glass panel you put it today likely
will not.

Given my mission of non-revenue flights, I don't think I would opt for
glass (where I would have a choice) even if buying a brand-new airplane
today.

JKG