No money to fly. Any Ideas?

Old January 3rd 11, 03:27 AM
bigcal9 bigcal9 is offline
Junior Member

Default No money to fly. Any Ideas?

I received my private pilot's license in 2006 while I was in college and have logged only 100 hours. Money has been tight, even with a full-time teaching career. Any ideas as to how I could get back flying again while keeping the costs relatively low? Man, I picked an expensive hobby!
Old January 3rd 11, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Stubby[_3_]

On Jan 2, 9:27*pm, bigcal9 wrote:
I received my private pilot's license in 2006 while I was in college and
have logged only 100 hours. Money has been tight, even with a full-time
teaching career. Any ideas as to how I could get back flying again while
keeping the costs relatively low? Man, I picked an expensive hobby!

Get a job. If that doesn't work, get another job.
Old January 4th 11, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Bug Dout

bigcal9 writes:

I received my private pilot's license in 2006 while I was in college and
have logged only 100 hours. Money has been tight, even with a full-time
teaching career. Any ideas as to how I could get back flying again while
keeping the costs relatively low? Man, I picked an expensive hobby!

Same thing happened to me decades ago and there was a 17 year gap
between 80 hours and the next BFR. And I was an engineer!

But here's some ideas other than get another job.

* Find a couple of partners and buy an inexpensive airplane (probably
2-seat vintage like a non-LSA Ercoupe, etc). If you own you can fly
cheaper if you do much of your own maintenance, etc.
* Fly gliders?
* Fly R/C until you make more money.
* Join a club and fly the minimum necessary, but hitch rides with others
on their trips.
* Fly ultralights or similar really cheap aircraft.
--
Only North Americans seem to believe that they always should, may, and
actually can choose somebody with whom to share their
Old January 5th 11, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Stubby[_3_]

On Jan 4, 3:14*pm, Bug Dout wrote:
bigcal9 writes:
[...]

My first flight instructor cautioned me that I "... could afford to
buy a plane, but not to own it." You might want to read the FARs to
see if something such as R/C flight hours keep your ratings up and/or
count toward future ratings.

pc ideas? derFlieger Simulators 3 May 5th 05 11:26 PM
how much money have you lost on the lottery? NOW GET THAT MONEY BACK! shane Home Built 0 February 5th 05 08:54 AM
ideas for fun contests at fly-ins Hoot Piloting 9 April 30th 04 10:58 AM
GPS Ideas RD Piloting 24 December 12th 03 11:53 AM
flight sim Ideas Steve Simulators 0 July 13th 03 08:56 AM