Buying an incomplete project

Old January 7th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Buying an incomplete project

On Jan 6, 5:54*pm, Dave S wrote:
Kyle Boatright wrote:

* The key is that you need to be able to demonstrate that

51% of the airplane was amateur built.

KB

Last I read it was 51% of the TASKS of building the plane.

ergo.. if a plane has 100 ribs in the wing, if you build ONE rib, you
have accomplished the task of building wing ribs and do not have to
build all 100 of them.. or 51 of them...

thats where the quickbuilds tread the line..

Interesting to note that the nonprimary builder can get the repairmans
cert. I knew that only one person COULD have it, but presumed it was the
one who did the majority of the building.

Dave

I thought that cert could be gotten extra ONLY for experimental light
sport aircraft -- and only with about $5000 - $6000 worth of training
(in an FAA certified program).
Old January 7th 08, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

On Jan 6, 7:45*pm, wrote:

I thought that cert could be gotten extra ONLY for experimental light
sport aircraft -- and only with about $5000 - $6000 worth of training
(in an FAA certified program).

That's not true. The first registrant of an amateur-built experimental
may apply for (and will probably receive) a repairmans certificate
applying only to that aircraft. The only real privilege it confers is
that of conducting the annual condition inspection. See the rah FAQs
for cites.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old January 7th 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave S

I thought that cert could be gotten extra ONLY for experimental light
sport aircraft -- and only with about $5000 - $6000 worth of training
(in an FAA certified program).

If I remember correctly...

The repairmans certificate for an Light Sport Aircraft and the
repairmans certificate for an Experimental-Amateur Built Aircraft (NOT
in the light sport category) are two separate items with differing
requirements.

Dave
Old January 7th 08, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 23:49:44 -0600, Dave S wrote:

I thought that cert could be gotten extra ONLY for experimental light
sport aircraft -- and only with about $5000 - $6000 worth of training
(in an FAA certified program).

If I remember correctly...

The repairmans certificate for an Light Sport Aircraft and the
repairmans certificate for an Experimental-Amateur Built Aircraft (NOT
in the light sport category) are two separate items with differing
requirements.

That is correct. The Repairman Certificate for an Experimental Amateur-Built
aircraft is appliable to only a single airframe.

There are two Repairman Certificates for Light Sport. The Light Sport -
Inspection certificate is the equivalent of the Amateur-Built Repairman
Certificate, with the exception being that the LS-I certificate is applicable to
any Experimental Light Sport aircraft in the same category, providing the holder
*owns* the aircraft.

In other words, with an LS-I RC in the airplane category, I can buy any ELSA
(Experimental LSA) in that category, and perform all maintenance and
inspections. If I buy a SLSA (e.g., ready-to-fly LSA), I can convert it to ELSA
and then, again perform all maintenance and inspections. However, the aircraft
cannot be used for hire with an ELSA certification. I can later sell that
airplane, buy another, and again perform all maintenance and inspections as long
as it is certified as Experimental Light Sport.

The other LSA Repairman Certificate is the Light Sport - Maintenance (LS-M).
This is the equivalent of an A&P for aircraft certified as Light Sport.

Neither the LS-I nor LS-M have any applicability outside aircraft *certified* as
light sport. My Fly Baby, for instance, qualifies as a Light Sport aircraft
(thus I can fly it as a Sport Pilot) but since it is certified as Experimental
Amateur-Built, neither an LS-I nor an LS-M would allow me to perform the yearly
condition inspection.

It's interesting to note that an A&P with an AI is required to perform the
annual inspection on a Cessna 152, but a Cessna 162 Skycatcher will only require
an LS-I (assuming you transfer it to ELSA).

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 7th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jan 6, 11:34*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Jan 6, 7:45*pm, wrote:

I thought that cert could be gotten extra ONLY for experimental light
sport aircraft -- and only with about $5000 - $6000 worth of training
(in an FAA certified program).

That's not true. The first registrant of an amateur-built experimental
may apply for (and will probably receive) a repairmans certificate
applying only to that aircraft. The only real privilege it confers is
that of conducting the annual condition inspection. See the rah FAQs
for cites.

Thanks, Bob K.

Yes. But you can ONLY be a repairman for that ONE aircraft. With the E-
LSA training, you can be a repairman for ALL aircraft of that type.
Old January 8th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Lucky for you, completing the last 10% of the plane will require
the other 90% of the time, so not to worry!

I belive that having the repairman certificate will also enable you to
sit
for the A&P written; it will serve to meet the experience requirement.
Rumor only. Bill Hale
Old January 9th 08, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Marc J. Zeitlin" wrote

I just took the written test(s) for the A&P exam - in order to get signed
off for taking the tests (FAA form 8610-2), you need to present the FAA
with some evidence of A&P work - either schools, a letter from another
A&P, or military or civilian experience.

I used my 5500 hours of homebuilt aircraft building, 700 hours of working
on the aircraft after they were finished and 2.5 years working as an
engineer at Scaled Composites, as well as a letter from one of Scaled's
senior A&P's for the experience.

So helping build a spacecraft helps also, OR

Do you get an A&P and a (S)paceship & (R)ocket engines? ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old January 10th 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Do you get an A&P and a (S)paceship & (R)ocket engines? ;-)

I wish such a thing existed :-).

Really, I would not be surprised if something on that line will come to be,
if/when passenger space operations become a more common thing.

After all, how could you (or others that have space experience) going to be
able to take your skills to another company? You ought to have a
certification to be able to show a prospective employer.

Any new announcements recently out, or forthcoming from Scaled? I have to
admit that I have not followed the happenings recently.

If (like in the past) there is nothing you can say yet, I understand.

On another line, are there any other companies out there, that have a
realistic chance of getting into space? If there are, I don't know of any.

I just thought of something else to ask. Is there any chance that dedicated
employees at scaled can get a free of reduced ride into space, once your new
program gets in the air.

It would be hell, to me, to be putting others into space, and not be able to
go myself. At the expected prices, it is still in the realm of the
independently wealthy, though.

Keep on keeping on, with your projects at Scaled, and good luck, keep up the
good work!
--
Jim in NC

Old January 10th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

Default The Space Biz (was Buying an incomplete project)

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 22:22:25 -0500, "Morgans" wrote:

Do you get an A&P and a (S)paceship & (R)ocket engines? ;-)

I wish such a thing existed :-).

Really, I would not be surprised if something on that line will come to be,
if/when passenger space operations become a more common thing.

After all, how could you (or others that have space experience) going to be
able to take your skills to another company? You ought to have a
certification to be able to show a prospective employer.

Actually some of this exists right now, with certification in certain skills.
But it's mostly a carryover from the aviation days.

Spacecraft mechanic certification will probably more fragmented. Most major
components are returned to the manufacturer for rework if a problem is found.
Stuff fixed on the pad has a QA army monitoring every tweak of the wrench. There
are few trivial maintenance operations in ground-space or space-ground
operations; I don't think you'll ever see stand-alone Space A&Ps.

For space to SPACE operations, it well may happen. Thrust levels are low in
comparison. Wear a space suit, and the only real danger is if the engines
cannot be turned off....

On another line, are there any other companies out there, that have a
realistic chance of getting into space? If there are, I don't know of any.

I really suspect it's riding on the economic viability of Virgin Galactic. The
space companies are like the outfits that take you to the top of Mount Everest;
as long as there are people willing to pay a lot of bucks for a thrill, they'll
stay in business. They basically have the same client base, so there'll
probably be a lot of customers, initially.

The big question is what happens after the first failure that turns a cabin full
of millionaires to ashes. One can figure that the operating company will
quickly be gone, and it makes sense that Branson, Rutan, Bezos, etc. have done
all they can to personally isolate themselves, personally. But it might cause
problems starting another company.

Whether such an accident affects the business as a whole remains to be seen.
The problem is, the technology has no application beyond barnstorming. NASA
hasn't launched a manned suborbital rocket since 1961, and Russia never even
bothered with developing the capacity (Gagarin orbited). So if you don't have
passengers, there's little else to do with the hardware.

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 10th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Marc J. Zeitlin" wrote

If there were, could I tell you? :-).

I won't tell anyone; promise! (wink-wink)

All I can say is, look for
something later this month, but not from Scaled.

Hmm, the intriegue grows! Thanks for the heads up!

There are many that are attempting. There are some that are
realistic, and some that are not. We, of course, believe that we are
years ahead of them, but what else would I say?

Of course you are years ahead, but would you expect anything else? g

We sure hope so. Someone's got to be the meat-puppets in the back
during the test flights before they send up paying passengers. But
there are, of course, no guarantees, or even indications. We just
have to wait and see how the testing goes.

Good luck with convincing those who could say yes!
--
Jim in NC

buying help John Doe Owning 21 August 17th 05 07:08 PM
Considering buying a share Paul Tomblin Owning 15 February 3rd 05 05:24 PM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
BUYING Cap 10b(c) os_pivo Aviation Marketplace 0 October 13th 03 07:15 PM
FS:CoF and why I won't be buying it Steve House Simulators 4 August 16th 03 02:24 AM