Marfa, TX

Old January 3rd 13, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Default Marfa, TX

Take a look at the Marfa, TX airport's runway 22 on GoogleEarth. (30 22'
25.92N, 104 00' 39.46" W) Is that Burt Compton?

Old January 3rd 13, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

surely one of the people is Burt, looks like his 182 and ASK-21
Old January 3rd 13, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Yep. I account for the majority of the operations at our nice big airport, site of the 15th National Landmark of Soaring, as designated by our National Soaring Museum.
Come visit. Free glider rating checkrides and accommodations in my guest house until March 31, 2013. "Someday" is now!
Old January 4th 13, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

That's way cool.

Burt, my curiosity has the better of me...whats the story on the private strip southeast of Marfa? Google Earth's ruler says 9000'- - must be one hell of a jet.

Old January 4th 13, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Burt, my curiosity has the better of me...whats the story on the private strip southeast of Marfa? Google Earth's ruler says 9000'- - must be one hell of a jet.

That's the McGuire ranch strip, about 5 miles south of Marfa Airport, one of the few ranch runways out here that's in good shape and barely wide enough for glider wingspans. Like many ranch airports, it is not on the El Paso sectional aero chart, by request. Texans like their privacy! I have permission to land and aerotow out (sometimes when giving a checkride!) It's a good alternate when an isolated T-storm (as in "The Sun Ship Game" film) is sitting on Marfa Muni Airport (KMRF.) Now look about 8 miles ESE at about 115 degrees and find the big WWII Marfa Army Air Field on the south side of highway 67/90, site of the "Sun Ship Game", the legendary camps and contests of the 60's and the World Soaring Championship at Marfa in 1970. Now part of a private ranch, it is un-landable. The many runways and that big wide ramp we flew off of (80 plus sailplanes in '69 and '70) are returning to nature but clearly visible on Google Earth. The huge wooden hangar seen in the SSGame film is long gone. Lots of soaring memories for me out on that old base, but we're making new memories now at the Marfa Muni Airport north of town. Garsh, I'm a lucky dog, ya-huh! (See the 1940 Disney cartoon "Goofy's Glider" for a complete understanding of that statement.)

Marfa in the Movies rlovinggood Soaring 5 February 19th 08 07:37 PM
Marfa TX Larry Watkins Soaring 0 May 23rd 04 06:47 PM
Marfa Endorsement Robert de León Soaring 0 April 12th 04 06:01 PM
Wanted: 1-26 in Marfa Burt Compton Soaring 0 February 26th 04 12:54 PM
Best Season for Marfa TX? chris Soaring 3 August 27th 03 02:58 AM