What is a "Site Survey?"

Old February 11th 19, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default What is a "Site Survey?"

In responses to my "Traveling Checkride Examiner" post and questions on the SSA Clubs & Chapters group I have received e-mails such as this one:

Q. "Burt - Your recent message on Chapters-SSA got me thinking about site surveys.
What exactly are they? How much time is required? What's the cost?"

A. The "Site Survey" is a program I developed in 2001 for the Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF, not the SSA.) The SSF is the training and safety arm of the SSA. Co-founded in the 1980’s by Bernald Smith and Gene Hammond, the SSF conducts Flight Instructor Refresher Courses (FIRC’s) across the USA, writes monthly articles in SOARING magazine, offers Safety Seminars and the "Site Survey" program.
The SSF maintains a training and safety website at www.soaringsafety.org

The current SSF Trustees are Chair Richard Carlson, Tom Johnson, Steve Dee, Ron Ridenour and Burt Compton.

The SSF “by your invitation” program was modeled after a mandatory program by the Swedish Soaring Federation that I observed on a visit to the Swedish Soaring Convention near Stockholm in 2001. They credit their mandatory club survey program as a reason for one to zero fatal glider accidents in each of the recent years!

In the USA a Site Survey is only by the formal (e-mail) invitation to me by the soaring site managers or the club board of directors. We have conducted 96 surveys (so far) of clubs and commercial glider operations across the USA, from Vermont to Oregon and in every SSA Region.

Scheduled so far in 2019: February I’ll conduct a free and confidential survey in Florida. In March, another survey in Utah. Who's next? I'm waiting for your invitation.

It is a friendly observation of your operations. It is FREE, and CONFIDENTIAL.
NOBODY outside of your club or soaring site receives a report.
Not the SSA, not your insurance underwriters and not the FAA.

We make no notes of my observations. A club member escorts us throughout the day and takes the notes. The notes stay with club.

A Site Survey is typically a one day visit on a weekend. Later that evening we gather for a debriefing to discuss national accident trends and then a roundtable review of your safety culture along with our observations, including your good ideas and perhaps the not so good! Together, we discuss solutions. It is then up to the soaring site managers to implement any procedural changes, or not.

Why is it free? The Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) maintains a separate budget for the Site Surveys from private donations specifically earmarked for the SSF training and safety programs, not from SSA funds. The budget is for 12 Site Surveys (year-round) and the schedule is generally first-come-first served. However, a club in dire need to keep their insurability or in potential jeopardy with the FAA or the airport management might be bumped up the list.

Let's discuss details and dates.
I have more information in a file that I can e-mail to you upon request.

Burt Compton, Trustee of the Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF)
Manager of the Site Survey program.
Master CFI and a Designated Pilot Examiner, celebrating 52 years in soaring..
On Facebook as "Burton Compton" for your amusement.

Old February 11th 19, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Burt Compton did a site survey of our club.

Per Burt "A club member escorts us throughout the day and takes notes. The notes stay in the club."

This is exactly how it was done at our club. Burt gave us an outsider's view of what was happening and helped us look at our procedures and problem areas. We came up with a very helpful list of changes we needed to make. Burt was at all times friendly, helpful and non-judgemental. I highly recommend this great program from the Soaring Safety Foundation.

Chuck Zabinski
Finger Lakes Soaring Club

Old March 7th 19, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

The Soaring Safety Foundation would welcome an invitation for a repeat Site Survey due to turnover of your club management, CFIG's and towpilots along with the influx of new members.

A couple of clubs send an invitation to me for a repeat survey every two years like clockwork.

Again it's FREE, confidential and friendly. Includes a post-survey briefing on national accident trends and a discussion of local concerns along with possible solutions appropriate to your soaring site.

Send me an invitation by e-mail to burtcompton at A0L d0t c0m (fix the substitutions of 0.)

I'm in Utah this weekend conducting a Site Survey. Planning to conduct more in the eastern US in May.

Burt Compton, Trustee of the Soaring Safety Foundation,
FAA Designated Pilot Examiner for all glider ratings, anywhere in the USA.

Old March 19th 19, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There will be an article on this in the April issue of Soaring magazine, written by Burt.
Old April 8th 19, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 10:06:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
There will be an article on this in the April issue of Soaring magazine, written by Burt.

See Page 8, in your April SOARING magazine.

FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED.

April surveys confirmed in Pennsylvania and Ohio.
May surveys confirmed in Virginia and Colorado.

To discuss details and dates and to request an agenda file for the site survey day, e-Mail
marfagliders at A0L d0t c0m

Burt Compton
Trustee of the Soaring Safety Foundation
Manager of the SSF Site Survey program
CFI / Designated Pilot Examiner
Marfa, Texas

Old April 17th 19, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, April 8, 2019 at 9:55:07 AM UTC-5, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 10:06:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
There will be an article on this in the April issue of Soaring magazine, written by Burt.

See Page 8, in your April SOARING magazine.

FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED.

April surveys confirmed in Pennsylvania and Ohio.
May surveys confirmed in Virginia and Colorado.

ADDED: May surveys in Connecticut and New York.

After I return from flying in Europe in late July I may be available for Site Surveys (and to conduct checkrides anywhere in the USA) through 2019 and into 2020.

To discuss details and dates and to request an agenda file for the site survey day, e-Mail
marfagliders at A0L d0t c0m

Burt Compton
Trustee of the Soaring Safety Foundation
Manager of the SSF Site Survey program
CFI / Designated Pilot Examiner (ANYWHERE in the USA.)
Marfa, Texas

Old May 31st 19, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

10 Soaring Safety Foundation Site Surveys conducted so far in 2019. Conducted 6 in May, reaching 106 surveys completed since 2001. Surveys are confidential, free, friendly and by your invitation only.

See the article in your April Soaring magazine.

Old August 11th 19, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Now accepting invitations for your club's free, friendly and confidential Site Survey for 2020. Note that the club must extend an invitation for a survey, we do not target a site unless invited. Improve your safety culture and procedures. Sponsored by the Soaring Safety Foundation, the training and safety arm of the SSA. See the article in your April 2019 issue of Soaring magazine. For details contact burtcompton at A0l dot com