Garmin GPS196 Update v.4 - obstacles?

Old March 9th 05, 12:10 AM

Default Garmin GPS196 Update v.4 - obstacles?

I just got an email from Garmin saying that their version 4.00 software
for the GPS196 is out. I was perusing the list of feature deltas
between the 3.80 and this one, and one bullet item stuck out as
interesting: support for obstacle database.

This is not a feature of the 196, or at least wasn't when I bought it.
Could they have actually added it since? Perhaps to compete with the
Lowrance products? Will towers show up in my unit *for free* the next
time I update the database?

I did the update to the firmware to 4, and obstacles not appear, which
is why I'm thinking I'd need a db update. Or maybe this just isn't what
I think it is.

-- dave j
-- jacobowitz73 -at- yahoo --dot-- com

Old March 9th 05, 03:52 AM
randy

I noticed that too, I had heard the rumor that obstacle avoidance would be
added to the 196 soon. Downloaded the update, no towers. Downloaded the
latest Jeppesen database for $35.00, no towers. Anybody know what gives,
can't find anything on the Garmin site.

Randy

wrote in news:1110327036.349560.299530
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Old March 9th 05, 05:00 PM
Art Varrassi

I just got off the phone with a support rep at Garmin. There will be a new
and additional obstacle database available for download on the Garmin site
either by the end of this week or next week. You will need to download this
database in addition to the aviation database from Jeppesen. The obstacle
database will cost $35 and that is in addition to the $35 it costs to
download the aviation database. While that's expensive, it's at least good
to know that my investment in the GPSmap196 has not gone to waste and that
Garmin is still working on updates for it. Also, I asked the support rep
about any new documentation available that covers the new features and
configuration options with release 4.0. He said they are working on an
update to the documentation but wasn't sure if it would be available for
download or if it would have to be purchased. He recommended that I keep an
eye on the web site for future announcements.

Art Varrassi
PP-ASEL
Commercial Training

oups.com...

Old March 9th 05, 06:54 PM

I guess it's not very Garmin-like that we would get something for free.
$35 is a lot. I wonder how often that db will be updated. We'll watch
the website, I guess.

dave j

Old March 10th 05, 08:57 AM
Cub Driver

That terrain feature is one of the nicest things about the 296. (Of
course it works better when the obstacle is red!) If they install it
in new 196s, i.e. without paying the extra $70, it would make the
thang much more attractive as an economical alternative to the 296.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
Old March 10th 05, 11:10 PM
Art Varrassi

I just downloaded and installed the obstacle database on my GPSmap196. I
love all of the little tee-pee's that are now all over my screen. This is
really neat.

Art Varrassi
PP-ASEL
Very Happy Garmin Customer

oups.com...

Old March 11th 05, 08:35 AM
Ted Lindgreen

In article ,
Art Varrassi wrote:
I just downloaded and installed the obstacle database on my GPSmap196. I

Where did you find this "obstacle database"?

-- ted
Old March 12th 05, 07:41 AM
max

You can download it now from the Aviation Databses section of their
website. For the 196 see:

http://shop.garmin.com/aviation/data...N=GP SMAP+196

Notice there's now an "obstacle" option for an additional $35!

Old March 13th 05, 09:13 PM

In article , "Art Varrassi" wrote:
I just downloaded and installed the obstacle database on my GPSmap196. I
love all of the little tee-pee's that are now all over my screen. This is
really neat.

Art Varrassi
PP-ASEL
Very Happy Garmin Customer

I did the same. Works great. This morning I flew for about three hours and
if I was flying way above the obstructions, the warning would not come up, but
when I was within perhaps 1000 ft vertical and 1 mile horizontal, I'd get the
warning. Since this is a new feature, and not documented in the manual, I
don't know what the real limits are. Anyway, it is definitely worth the $35
upgrade.
Old March 14th 05, 02:24 AM
randy

I did the same today, the obstacles didn't even show on the map when
cruising at 6500, I was thinking there was something wrong, when I decended
the obstacles started showing up, is this the way it's supposed to work???
I would like to see the obstacles show all the time. Any ideas???

I did the same. Works great. This morning I flew for about three
hours and if I was flying way above the obstructions, the warning
would not come up, but when I was within perhaps 1000 ft vertical and
1 mile horizontal, I'd get the warning. Since this is a new feature,
and not documented in the manual, I don't know what the real limits
are. Anyway, it is definitely worth the $35 upgrade.

Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM
Garmin 90 update Cliff Hilty Soaring 12 October 19th 03 09:07 AM
Garmin GPS-90 moving map Aviation GPS with latest Jeppessen database update installed Jerry Bransford Aviation Marketplace 5 October 2nd 03 03:31 AM
PLEASE HELP! GARMIN GPSMAP 196 Update and now my maps fail to show properl PaulaJay1 Owning 0 August 13th 03 06:52 PM
Garmin 196 firmware update v3.1 released Aloft Piloting 0 August 13th 03 12:50 AM