LS10 info

Old January 25th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LS10 info

Here is a quote from the DG/LS web site...it is, in my humble opinion,
worrisome statement :

Economic aspects

Everyone knows that the approved certification of new models becomes
more and more expensive and the number of production planes will never
reach the quantities of the past.

The cost for developing the LS-10 will definitely be more than 500.000
Euros. This requires precise planning for a business like DG, to keep
the whole process at the lowest cost. This planning which we are doing
at this time will take much more time than we expected when we bought
LS.

End quote.

O'K.... the way I read this statement is, that gliders will be more and
more expensive and eventually this sport will be so expensive that only
very few and very rich people will be able to afford it. It is almost
identical to unlimited hydroplanes....during the 50's and 60's there
was a lots of boats, then we had a guy, who basically bought the sport
and in the 21st century this sport almost seized to exist. We are
flying nowadays old gliders. When I go to the glider port I see people
flying 20 and 30 + years old birds. Eventually those gliders will be
scraped. So, having said that, did anyone at this point in time thought
about what are we going to be flying 10 years from now? DG/LS is
selling gliders for $100 000 +....keep this in mind; a glider which
cost 57,000 Euros...that translates to about $70,000 US. Then you need
to buy a trailer, instruments, ship it across the Atlantic, pay your
taxes in your state. By the time you are done it is a $100,000 US + .
Do you think this kind of prices will attract new glider owners? Also,
at this time I think that SZD Bielsko gliders, LAK gliders, PW-5 and
PW-6, APIS, and some other manufacturers will not follow the
greedy/getting quickly rich/ rip you off business approach and they
will maintain the reasonable prices on the equipment they manufacture
presently. If they fall into the same category as the German
manufacturers then this, or I should say, our sport is in a danger of
extinction. With prices like that I think I'll buy me a Pitts again
and have quite a bit of fun as well. That is a price range that is
encroaching in "the good power range pricing".

Old January 25th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

All of Jacek's arguments have been made before in this forum. In a
free economy a company puts the products on the market it thinks will
sell and asks a price that has to be at cost plus margin. If other
companies feel they can do better, they'll go and try doing that.
Bashing DG for price and currency situations is doing nothing to change
the basics.
Thankfully for Jacek and others, there are those of us who want to fly
these new machines (see my raised hand?) and will trade up to them at a
much smaller differential cost than what the whole new machine would
be. Then our current gliders will refresh and rejuvenate the market
and make someone else real happy.
I encourage DG to press on with their good work and look forward to the
day when I can put my LS8-18 up for sale with a spankin' new ship on
the ocean.

Herb, J7

Old January 26th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gonna revert to something cheap like a Pitts, huh?

Have a look at http://www.aviataircraft.com/aircraft/s1t.htm
A new S1-S starts at $250,000.00 USD. A new Husky A1-B is over $200K. Sure,
some of these are readily available for less on the used market, but still
the new aircraft remain expensive. I'm not defending these prices, though
there are a myriad number of reasons why they ain't cheap.

bumper
Minden, NV

oups.com...

Old January 26th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I don`t think you`re right.

In fact, if you take a look at the inflation, gliders have become
cheaper, or equally priced compared to 1980.

So the whole problem isn`t about more expensive gliders but less glider
pilots which mean less sold, which means a larger penalty per glider
for development. Thát`s the problem.

http://www.lak-deutschland.de/lak/PD...iste1-2004.PDF

Seems considerable less that a DG, AS or SH ;-)

Old January 26th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

J. N. wrote:
I don`t think you`re right.

In fact, if you take a look at the inflation, gliders have become
cheaper, or equally priced compared to 1980.

You must be kidding, i think. I remember a time when a glider was
worth one third or one fourth the price of a house, now it is close
to the price of a house, hence a very unreasonable buy. You are saying
there are less buyers, there is a very good explanation to that.

--

Michel TALON

Old January 26th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\)." wrote:
Gosh, where can I buy a house for the price of a new glider. Or did you
just mean ETA?

Not in United Kingdom, for sure. In more reasonable places and sufficiently
far from cities, yes.

--

Michel TALON

Old January 26th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In rural France, maybe... but then, who wants a house there :-)

For an estimation of the "real price" of a glider, real estate is not of
much help. If you compare it to the mean of yearly gross income, you will
find that gliders haven't become that much more expensive.

And anyhow, looking at 2-years+ delivery times, these prices don't seem to
be a big problem to a significant number of pilots.

And the others - like me - just buy second hand.

Old January 26th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:03:24 +0100, "Bert Willing"
wrote:

In rural France, maybe... but then, who wants a house there :-)

if you define "rural" as St. Auban, Sisteron or Barcelonette...

scnr

Bye
Andreas

Helicopter Physics info online anywhere?? [email protected] Rotorcraft 4 April 24th 04 04:18 PM
POSA Carb Info and HAPI Engine Info Bill Home Built 0 March 8th 04 08:23 PM
Starting new info site need info from the pros MRQB Piloting 7 January 5th 04 03:20 AM
Aircraft info Paul Piloting 5 December 21st 03 09:26 AM
Info on Richmond International in VA USA? Malcolm Teas Piloting 2 July 9th 03 10:13 PM