Did I hear ABC correctly?

Old January 5th 04, 02:56 AM
BUFDRVR

but i just
plain don't recall any involuntary separations, especially of regulars.

The Army seperated active duty officers as well, and did it much more fairly
than the USAF. As far as regulars being seperated, it didn't happen. Those
seperated in the USAF all had reserve commisions.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 5th 04, 03:05 AM
BUFDRVR

Granted
you can't prove a counterfactual, but what people say they would have done
is not always the same as what they would have actually done.

Bush disbanded the Base Realignment And Closure (BRAC) comittees, Clinton had
to institute them again in '94. If Bush had planned further cuts, he would have
left BRAC as a staning comittee like Clinton did from '94-99.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 5th 04, 04:13 PM
Glenn Dowdy

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
t...

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
but no, it was not a "RIF", not as
that term is normally used

Uhh, that's the exact term that was used when thousands of officers were
involuntarily seperated in 1992. Twas an interesting time for a young

2nd
Lt.

Well, I don't recall that happening on the US Army side of the house. I do
recall the various voluntary searation programs, including the bonus and
annuity options, and I know we got one rather fresh academy grad into our
Guard unit at that time well before his normal time because he took
advantage of the situation and requested early release

I left active duty as an Army LT in 1990. The Army had already been offering
early release from active duty to Regular Army officers, including Academy
grads, in 1989.

The plans were in place in 1989 to move to a smaller army.

http://www.army.mil/aps/98/chapter2.htm

. I also recall the
Army cut its requirement for *new* 2LT assessions for a short while (and
were soon right back to begging folks to come on active duty), but i just
plain don't recall any involuntary separations, especially of regulars. It
was threatened if the volunatary efforts came up short, but as I recall

that
did not happen.

And most of the LTs getting out early in my battalion were Academy grads.
Only one stayed in.

Glenn D.

Old January 6th 04, 01:48 AM
Thomas Schoene

BUFDRVR wrote:
Granted
you can't prove a counterfactual, but what people say they would
have done
is not always the same as what they would have actually done.

Bush disbanded the Base Realignment And Closure (BRAC) comittees,
Clinton had to institute them again in '94. If Bush had planned
further cuts, he would have left BRAC as a staning comittee like
Clinton did from '94-99.

It might have helped if you had read the rest of my post. I did not say
Bush planned more cuts. I said he might have had to change his plans had he
gotten a second term. The fiscal pressures would have been much the same,
regardless of who was president.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old January 6th 04, 11:06 PM
BUFDRVR

It might have helped if you had read the rest of my post.

I did, I misunderstood.

I did not say
Bush planned more cuts. I said he might have had to change his plans had he
gotten a second term. The fiscal pressures would have been much the same,
regardless of who was president.

I don't think Clinton's cuts were entirely due to financial pressure. IMHO, he
had planned them from the beginning.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"