EMIs and radio interference.

Old January 21st 14, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
who's me?

Default EMIs and radio interference.

OK all you radio gurus.....voice your opinions

You gave me good dope on the ground plane....now I stand and look down on my instrument panel and I can only think of those Electronic Warfare jets with the big suacer on top ....
Stuffed into a cubic foot of space is....
Radio
Tranponder w/Encoder and 6 feet of wire bundle coiled under the enccoder.
3 GPS Antennas on top above the encoder ( 302, CN, and CNv)
ClearNav
ClearNav Vario
CAI 302
Portable Flarm

maybe I should install a fire extinguishing system.....seriously now..
anybody see any issues of electronic interference between units. The Transponder will be used mainly at home with all the business jets around.
Thanks for you help.

Old January 22nd 14, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:09:23 AM UTC-5, Henry Retting wrote:
OK all you radio gurus.....voice your opinions You gave me good dope on the ground plane....now I stand and look down on my instrument panel and I can only think of those Electronic Warfare jets with the big suacer on top ..... Stuffed into a cubic foot of space is.... Radio Tranponder w/Encoder and 6 feet of wire bundle coiled under the enccoder. 3 GPS Antennas on top above the encoder ( 302, CN, and CNv) ClearNav ClearNav Vario CAI 302 Portable Flarm maybe I should install a fire extinguishing system.....seriously now.. anybody see any issues of electronic interference between units. The Transponder will be used mainly at home with all the business jets around. Thanks for you help. H

Don't forget to wear your lead underpants.
UH
Old January 22nd 14, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:09:23 AM UTC-8, Henry Retting wrote:
OK all you radio gurus.....voice your opinions

maybe I should install a fire extinguishing system.....seriously now..

anybody see any issues of electronic interference between units. The Transponder will be used mainly at home with all the business jets around.

Thanks for you help.

Power it all up and if the smoke and burnt wiring smell isn't overwhelming, proceed checking to see if you have any radio interference.

Turn off all avionics except radio. Tune radio to a low frequency, 118 or so, adjust squelch so it just squelches background noise. Turn on all the video games and doo-dads. If squelch is still quiet, good. If not adjust squelch up a bit to quiet it. Then start tuning the radio up the band to higher frequencies. It's possible that you may have a narrow frequency band of strong RFI at a specific frequency (e.g. 122.7). If you do encounter a frequency specific band of noise, stay tuned to it and turn off avionics one at a time to determine which device is guilty.

Sometimes installing ferrites on the offending equipment wiring, as close to the device as practicable, will reduce the RFI if it is being radiated by the wiring or being inductively coupled etc. A handheld radio can be useful to determine if the RFI is exiting the box via wiring or somehow being transmitted (radiated) from within the box.

Ferrites are available from Digi-Ket or Allied. The clamp on type are easy to apply. If you have enough wire slack to make a loop or two through the ferrite, that will improve effectiveness, so get ferrites with a large enough hole.

Next see it your are getting a reasonable constellation of sats on your GPS devices. If one or more isn't getting sat lock or is marginal. Turn everything else off, one by one and see if that points out the culprit. If reception improves when turning off another GPS, turn that GPS back on and try relocating its antenna.

Shorten all that extra transponder wiring :c)

Install a MKIV "high tech" yaw string and Quiet Vent.

bumper

Old January 22nd 14, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

Don't discount the nuclear power station turbines that power all that crap,err, I mean valuable electron-slingers.
Old January 22nd 14, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Henry Retting

Thanks Bumper....the others have confuse this post with one of those 'Sean F' humorous rants threads.
'Lead underwear' 'electron-slingers' geeszee!
Knuckleheads!!!

"?Now where is GODs name am I going to put the damn portable Flarm? "
Old January 22nd 14, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:42:36 AM UTC-6, Henry Retting wrote:
Thanks Bumper....the others have confuse this post with one of those 'Sean F' humorous rants threads.

'Lead underwear' 'electron-slingers' geeszee!

Knuckleheads!!!

"?Now where is GODs name am I going to put the damn portable Flarm? "

Calm down Henry, take your blood pressure meds! Portable Flarm is massive, get a brick (core).
Old January 22nd 14, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 17:20:28 -0800, unclhank wrote:

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:09:23 AM UTC-5, Henry Retting wrote:
OK all you radio gurus.....voice your opinions You gave me good dope on
the ground plane....now I stand and look down on my instrument panel
and I can only think of those Electronic Warfare jets with the big
suacer on top .... Stuffed into a cubic foot of space is.... Radio
Tranponder w/Encoder and 6 feet of wire bundle coiled under the
enccoder. 3 GPS Antennas on top above the encoder ( 302, CN, and CNv)
ClearNav ClearNav Vario CAI 302 Portable Flarm maybe I should install a
fire extinguishing system.....seriously now.. anybody see any issues of
electronic interference between units. The Transponder will be used
mainly at home with all the business jets around. Thanks for you help.

Don't forget to wear your lead underpants.

No need for lead - nothing in there's radioactive and lead is also toxic.

If you feel a need to wear metallic skids, use tinfoil or alloy sheet and
make sure the pants are grounded.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 22nd 14, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:09:23 AM UTC-5, Henry Retting wrote:
... dope on the ground plane....

Henry !
Pay attention !
Dope is for FABRIC, not GROUND PLANES !

See you at the Seniors, Dave "YO electric"