Need Antenna Cable for ICOM Handheld

Old April 19th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Need Antenna Cable for ICOM Handheld

I have an ICOM handheld for backup.

I have a panel-mounted ICOM connector, ICOM part no. ANTSB.

The ANTSB is a splitter, in series with the coax that connects the COM-1
radio to its antenna. On the front of the ANTSB is a 3.5 mm female jack.
When a 3.5 mm male is plugged into this jack, the installed COM-1 is
disconnected from the antenna, and the 3.5 mm jack is now connected to
the antenna.

This requires a coax (50-ohm impedance) with a 3.5 mm male jack on one
end and a BNC connector on the other end. The BNC connects to the ICOM
and the 3.5 mm plugs into the panel-mount ANTSB; the ICOM is now using
the external COM antenna.

ICOM sells the ANTSB box with the four-foot coax as a kit. Phone call to
ICOM reveals that they do NOT sell the coax jumper separately, as a
replacement part.

I have tried everything I could think of -- avionics shops, Radio Shack,
Wentworth (used avionics), etc., all with no joy.

Does anyone know where I can find a four-foot 50-ohm coax (I believe it's
R17x/U, where x is either 4 or 9, I can't remember) with a BNC on one end
and a 3.5 mm mail on the other end?
Old April 19th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:01:14 GMT, "L. R. Du Broff"
wrote:

[...]

You need to find yourself a Radio Amateur (Ham) as we use 50ohm co-ax
all the time. Maybe you can get someone to solder the connections on
the end for you. You could also try an avionis shop.

Despite using 50 ohm co-ax, which is good, a 3.5mm connector is very
crude!

David, UK
Old April 19th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"L. R. Du Broff" wrote in message
I have an ICOM handheld for backup.

I have a panel-mounted ICOM connector, ICOM part no. ANTSB.

The ANTSB is a splitter, in series with the coax that connects the COM-1
radio to its antenna. On the front of the ANTSB is a 3.5 mm female jack.
When a 3.5 mm male is plugged into this jack, the installed COM-1 is
disconnected from the antenna, and the 3.5 mm jack is now connected to
the antenna.

From your description, this might be what you have:

http://www.edmo.com/modules/products.../IC-ANT-SB.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...om/icantsb.htm

This gadget sounds like it will introduce significant loss between your com1
radio and your vhf antenna even when your icom hand held radio is not
connected. From the above photos it looks like there are bnc connectors on
each end - one goes to your com1 radio and the other goes to your antenna.

I recommend that you stop using the ANTSB splitter device and get a bnc
barrel connector.

http://www.midsouthcable.com/B-7061M.jpg

http://www.compoutlet.com/cso/assets...RELXXXXXXX.JPG

http://www.mivs.com/products/cables/...barrel-nut.jpg

http://www.ascome.com/nav/img/bnc/ad...ck_to_jack.jpg

You should be able to get this at radio shack or any other electronics parts
store.

Clearly label which coax cable goes to your radio and which goes to the
antenna. When you need to use your portable icom radio disconnect the com1
cable from the barrel connector and then connect an RG50 coax jumper between
the barrel connector and your icom antenna jack.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...nt/1806cbl.jpg

Old April 19th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

These guys have the technical capability to help:

Radio City Inc
2663 Co Rd I
Mounds View, MN 55112 - 4302

(763) 786-4475
http://www.radioinc.com/

It's a ham radio and astronomy store. Whether they want to fool with
making cables I don't know but they are nice guys and at least will be
able to sell you the pieces you need.

Old April 19th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Need Antenna Cable for ICOM Handheld - RG58 not RG50

Oops... That should have been RG58 instead of RG50 coax cable

http://www.national-tech.com/catalog...xialcables.htm

"Ted" wrote in message
ink.net...

"L. R. Du Broff" wrote in message
I have an ICOM handheld for backup.

I have a panel-mounted ICOM connector, ICOM part no. ANTSB.

The ANTSB is a splitter, in series with the coax that connects the COM-1
radio to its antenna. On the front of the ANTSB is a 3.5 mm female jack.
When a 3.5 mm male is plugged into this jack, the installed COM-1 is
disconnected from the antenna, and the 3.5 mm jack is now connected to
the antenna.

From your description, this might be what you have:

Old April 19th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

L. R. Du Broff wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find a four-foot 50-ohm coax (I believe it's
R17x/U, where x is either 4 or 9, I can't remember) with a BNC on one end
and a 3.5 mm mail on the other end?

Make one.

All the parts should be available online or in a truly comprehensive
computer/electronics store. Or Matronics online... I live in Houston and
there are both a mom and pop computer place that have the parts, as well
as "Fry's Electronics" which is an electronics/appliance superstore that
is a nationwide chain.

It's not rocket science to make a cable. Usually instructions are on the
connector packages.

Dave
Old April 19th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Ted" wrote
"L. R. Du Broff" wrote
I have an ICOM handheld for backup.

I have a panel-mounted ICOM connector, ICOM part no. ANTSB.

The ANTSB is a splitter, in series with the coax that connects the COM-1
radio to its antenna. On the front of the ANTSB is a 3.5 mm female
jack.
When a 3.5 mm male is plugged into this jack, the installed COM-1 is
disconnected from the antenna, and the 3.5 mm jack is now connected to
the antenna.

From your description, this might be what you have:

[...]

com1 cable from the barrel connector and then connect an RG58 coax jumper
between the barrel connector and your icom antenna jack.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...nt/1806cbl.jpg

http://www.national-tech.com/catalog...xialcables.htm

Here is the Barrel connector at Radio Shack

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062625

Here is the jumper cable

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103484

Old April 22nd 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

And the measurements that you made to substantiate this claim are posted
where? The measurements I made to show that this will work with
insignificant losses are posted in my Kitplanes article.

Don't guess if you don't know.

Jim

"Ted" wrote in message
ink.net...

This gadget sounds like it will introduce significant loss between your
com1 radio and your vhf antenna even when your icom hand held radio is not
connected.

Helicopter knocks out cable car, killing nine. Flyingmonk Piloting 12 September 16th 05 12:27 AM
I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
Ext antenna connection for handheld radio Ray Andraka Owning 7 March 5th 04 01:10 PM
How to hook handheld up to external antenna? Roy Smith Owning 6 January 26th 04 04:05 PM
Garmin Emap Handheld GPS w/ Remote Antenna AND Data Transfer Cable Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 October 1st 03 02:06 AM