Reagan and Air Force One?

Old June 19th 04, 12:24 AM
JDupre5762

Default Reagan and Air Force One?

During the week of President Reagan's death and funeral I heard on one radio
station that President Bush allowed the 747 carrying Reagan's body to
Washington DC to be designated Air Force One for that trip. Does anyone know
if this is true. I wasn't able to watch or read as much about it as I wanted.
This would have been the first time that Air Force One was used as a designator
without the current president aboard. The person making the claim was a caller
to to a talk show so I am not inclined to believe it without confirmation.

John Dupre'
Old June 19th 04, 01:01 AM
Brian Colwell

"JDupre5762" wrote in message
During the week of President Reagan's death and funeral I heard on one

radio
station that President Bush allowed the 747 carrying Reagan's body to
Washington DC to be designated Air Force One for that trip. Does anyone

know
if this is true. I wasn't able to watch or read as much about it as I

wanted.
This would have been the first time that Air Force One was used as a

designator
without the current president aboard. The person making the claim was a

caller
to to a talk show so I am not inclined to believe it without confirmation.

John Dupre'

No, I don't think this correct, they did mention its designation for this
flight but it was not Air Force One.

BMC

Old June 19th 04, 01:15 AM
Air Force Jayhawk

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:01:58 GMT, "Brian Colwell"
wrote:

[...]

SAM 28000 is what the aircraft is called when not carrrying the
President but is carrying VIPs (also known as a Special Air Mission,
hence the SAM). 28000 is the tail number...29000 is the second
aircraft.

The aircraft used SAM 28000 for President Reagan

Ross "Roscoe" Dillon
USAF Flight Tester
(B-2, F-16, F-15, F-5, T-37, T-38, C-5, QF-106)
Old June 19th 04, 01:54 AM
Brian Colwell

wrote:

[...]

It was the designation, Special Air Mission, I couldn't remember.

Thanks,
BMC

Most likely the reporter in question had heard from someone at airliners.net
that "Air Force 1" would carry president Reagan.
The average person doesn't know that the designation of the aircraft is not
AF1 unless the president is on board and will call it that whenever they see
it.

At one time I think someone said there were 2 AF1s together somewhere

Old June 19th 04, 11:24 PM
Marc Reeve

Jeroen Wenting wrote:

"JDupre5762" wrote in message
During the week of President Reagan's death and funeral I heard on one
radio station that President Bush allowed the 747 carrying Reagan's body
to Washington DC to be designated Air Force One for that trip. Does
anyone know if this is true. I wasn't able to watch or read as much
about it as I wanted. This would have been the first time that Air Force
One was used as a designator without the current president aboard. The
person making the claim was a caller to to a talk show so I am not
inclined to believe it without confirmation.

Most likely the reporter in question had heard from someone at
airliners.net that "Air Force 1" would carry president Reagan. The average
person doesn't know that the designation of the aircraft is not AF1 unless
the president is on board and will call it that whenever they see it.

At one time I think someone said there were 2 AF1s together somewhere

Air Force One (tail number 29000) took off from Andrews AFB, carrying
President Bush back to Texas, a good fifteen minutes before Special Air
Mission 28000 (the other 747 of the Presidential Wing) took off with the
body of Ronald Reagan on board.

They were both there at the same time, and C-SPAN at least showed them
both taking off (though they gave more coverage to SAM28000).

--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is
Old June 20th 04, 04:35 AM
Paul Hirose

The original poster asked about the trip to Washington, which I
didn't monitor. However, SAM 28000 was the callsign for the return
flight to California. I heard them talking to Joshua Approach in
Southern California on 124.55 MHz when inbound to Pt. Mugu. The pilot
pronounced the callsign "Sam Two Eight Thousand". Joshua Approach
(used to be called Edwards Approach) routed them via the Palmdale
VORTAC, descending to 14,000 then 7,000 feet before instructing them
to contact Socal Approach.

That 747 must have an unusually powerful transmitter. The signal I
heard was wonderfully "loud and clear".

--

Paul Hirose
To reply by email delete INVALID from address.