IFR Groundcourse: Which books

Old June 17th 04, 11:38 AM
Thomas Wimmer

Default IFR Groundcourse: Which books

Hello

I'm staying for some months in Mojave, and would like to use the
opportunity to get my instrument rating while in the US.

In order to prepare myself (for the written test as well as for the
whole ifr stuff generally), I would like to do some home-study before
travelling to the US.

What kind of training material would you recommend?

Currently I do have set my eyes on the Instrument/Commercial manual from
Jeppesen, as I have used the Privat manual some years ago to learn for
my privat certificate and I liked it.

Any other recommandation?

Video: I didn't needed them on my vfr/privat training, so I figure I
don't need them for my ifr. what are the thoughts on those?

Thanks

Thomas
Old June 17th 04, 01:45 PM
rasenflieger

Hallo Thomas

Instrument Flying (Band 3) von ASA + Instrument Oral Exam Guide ebenfalls
von ASA sind meiner Meinung besser als
Jeppessen. Ausserdem solltest Du eine CD-ROM mit allen Fragen besorgen (bei
Fa. Eisenschmidt in Egelsbach).
Dort kannst Du auch die theoretische Prüfung ablegen (CATS Testcenter).

G. Spohr

Old June 17th 04, 02:55 PM
Brad Johnson

Thomas Wimmer wrote in message ...
Hello

I'm staying for some months in Mojave, and would like to use the
opportunity to get my instrument rating while in the US.

In order to prepare myself (for the written test as well as for the
whole ifr stuff generally), I would like to do some home-study before
travelling to the US.

What kind of training material would you recommend?

Currently I do have set my eyes on the Instrument/Commercial manual from
Jeppesen, as I have used the Privat manual some years ago to learn for
my privat certificate and I liked it.

Any other recommandation?

Video: I didn't needed them on my vfr/privat training, so I figure I
don't need them for my ifr. what are the thoughts on those?

Thanks

Thomas

Thomas:

This is just my opinion, but here is what I would focus on:

1. Jepp Instrument/Commercial Manual
2. Instrument Flying Handbook - FAA
3. Instrument Flying - Author: Richard Taylor
4. Weather Flying - Author: Robert Buck
5. Gleim Instrument Study Guide - www.gleim.com
6. Instrument PTS - ASA
7. Instrument Oral Exam Guide - ASA

This list is extensive and has some repetion, but they are all good
resources for refernce later as well.

Brad Johnson

Old June 17th 04, 04:26 PM
PaulH

I found the King video course much better than the book materials I
tried. The advantage of the video (particularly the CDrom) is that
you can take test exams with random questions taken from actual exam
material.

The video course is just focused on the exam. The Kirchner book is
helpful in providing a broader view of Instrument Flight.
Old June 17th 04, 04:37 PM
Cecil Chapman

My list:

King IFR DVD course

King Jeppesen Enroute & Approach chart review (great for learning about the
little 'nuances' in the chart zymology - especially helpful for those
examiner questions that may delve into the minutiae of the chart

Rod Machado Instrument Handbook

U.S. Govt's NEW Instrument book (BEAUTIFULLY DONE!)

PTS

Instrument Oral Exam Guide

VOR/ADF/Navigation Simulator (great for getting the nav aid concepts into
your head - you can move the aircraft around on a 2-d map in different
positions and headings and organize nav aids in the position you would like
((great for helping one to see what a given indication on the needles as it
relates to one's physical position to the navaid)))

OnTop Flight Simulator (great for practicing one's scan) of course FS 2004
can help you in this regard too (though I haven't used it very much)

I've tried many, more but the one's on the list are the ones that have
worked for me.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
"

Old June 17th 04, 04:48 PM
Mark

Thomas Wimmer wrote in message ...
What kind of training material would you recommend?

Personally, I love the Gleim books. They provide alot of reference
materials before each section, then you can go right over the
questions.

http://www.gleim.com/aviation/instrument/books/
Old June 17th 04, 06:16 PM
Michael

Thomas Wimmer wrote
In order to prepare myself (for the written test as well as for the
whole ifr stuff generally), I would like to do some home-study before
travelling to the US.

What kind of training material would you recommend?

I would recommend you not try to prepare for both with the same
materials. The written test contains some useful stuff, but mostly
it's just a hurdle you have to overcome. Therefore, I suggest that
you use only one book to prepare for it - the test prep book by Gleim,
ASA, or whatever other outfit publishes all the questions and answers
in an organized form.

For actually using the rating, I recommend Rod Machado's Instrument
Pilot Survival Manual as an introduction, and Buck's Weather Flying as
a more advanced text.

You can also do yourself a lot of good by practicing the procedures on
Microsoft Flight Sim or equivalent product - there are lots of them,
and they are all adequate to the task.

Realize that the Mojave is EXTREMELY unlikely to offer any IFR weather
flyable in a light single. While you're there, consider hopping over
the Tehachapis and into the LA Basin, which is likely to offer you
much better weather training opportunities.

Michael
Old June 17th 04, 09:49 PM
Geo. Anderson

On 6/17/04 5:38 AM, Thomas Wimmer wrote the following:

What kind of training material would you recommend?

I took my written about 15 months ago and was very pleased and lucky to
have scored 100. Here are comments on what I used:

1) www.faatest.com for drilling on the questions. I have used Adrian's
software for my Private, Instrument, and Commercial written tests and
the lowest score I got was 94 on the Commercial. (I have excuses for
missing so many, but I will keep them to myself!)

2) Peter Dogan's Instrument Flight Training Manual. Easily the best
"first" book -- his narratives of flights give you a real-world feel
that is just a great introduction to the subject.

3) Richard Taylor's Instrument Flying and Bob Buck's Weather Flying. I
will own these books for the rest of my life, along with the
Langeweische book Stick and Rudder.

4) The FAA book. Essential for memorizing the primary/secondary
instrument matrix that you will need for the test and probably will
never think explicitly about again, and pretty good overall.

------------you can stop here and have plenty----------------

5) ASA Written Test Prep. Not necessary but if you want to sit in a
chair and read a test prep book, this is as good as any. More
importantly, you get a copy of the computer test supplement which is
almost mandatory for use with the faatest.com software. (The software
renders the supplement pages on your screen but they are pretty hard to
work with.) General note: I have found that taking the supplement books
apart at the binding and getting the pages spiral wire bound at
OfficeBizMaxMart makes them _much_ easier to work with.

6) Bob Gardner's Advanced Pilot, Trevor Thom's Instrument Flying, and
Ralph Butcher's Instrument Pilot are all on my shelf and I have used all
as reference materials from time to time. None of the three is
particularly compelling to me. All have useful insights but if you're
on a budget you could get by without any of them.

7) Rod Machado's Instrument Survival (first edition; there is now a new
one) I felt was very weak. But then I am in the 1% of pilots
(apparently) who find his humor very tiresome. His Private book was
good enough that I endured the cuteness and all the exclamation points,
but the instrument book was not. IMHO, anyway.

(Anybody wants to buy a book on my #4, #6, & #7 list drop me a line.
50% of amazon.com price plus $3 book rate USPS shipping.)

HTH,
Geo. Anderson
Old June 18th 04, 12:23 AM
gatt

I've got the ASA 2004 Instrument Test Prep manual which has all the FAA
ground exam questions, the correct answers and an explanation of why the
incorrect answers are, in fact, incorrect. I'll let you know in a couple
of weeks if it did me any good. :

-c

Starter books? Brad Mallard Home Built 5 November 2nd 04 11:11 PM
Rare aviation books and Cd Roms FS Nenad Miklusev Home Built 0 March 2nd 04 09:25 AM
Best Homebuilders Books? [email protected] Home Built 5 January 21st 04 01:06 AM
Worthy EAA Construction Books Brock Home Built 5 September 16th 03 07:48 PM
selling pilot books on eBay GwenO MS Instrument Flight Rules 0 July 17th 03 01:51 AM