GNS 430 simple question

Old January 19th 05, 01:26 PM
MJC

Default GNS 430 simple question

I have just one question for you Garmin GNS 430 owners:
The 430, of course, can output both GPS and VOR data to a CDI indicator.
However, what I'm wondering, is if you have two CDI's, can the 430 run both
of them at the SAME TIME.. one CDI set to GPS output and the other CDI set
to VOR output?

TIA,
MJC

Old January 19th 05, 01:57 PM
HankPilot2002

I would think not since the output is controlled by the CDI button on the 430
itself. I have never heard of a splitter or similar device to output two
signals to the external CDI.

Hank
Old January 19th 05, 03:02 PM
Mike Rapoport

Yes, if the second indicator can accept composite signals (or you could us a
converter). The second indicator will only get the VOR/LOC/ILS data since
GPS data is not put out in composite format.

Mike
MU-2

Old January 19th 05, 08:29 PM
MJC

Thanks Mike, I think that "sort of" answers my question, but I'm not
really sure, so let me be more specific with how I would like to set up the
panel in my RV-7. You seem to know something about this...
I intend to use the GNS 430 as my all-in-one GPS/VOR/ILS/COMM radio
because it can handle ALL the necessary Nav functions, and because of that,
I'm only wanting to install an SL-40 (COMM only) as my second radio.
I am going to install the 106A CDI for my primary glideslope indicator,
but I'm also using a dual EFIS system from Grand Rapids Tech. which includes
the capability of displaying an electronic HSI alongside the PFD screen.
So what I would like to do is have the 106A CDI set to display the
VOR/ILS portion of the GNS 430 signal, and the EFIS HSI to display the GPS
output portion of the GNS 430. Of course, if I can do that, I should also be
able to choose which indicator displays which signal from the 430 and switch
whenever I want. As you might imagine, I would want to use one display for
primary navigation and the other for checking radials.
Having explained it like this, is that still do-able?

MJC

k.net...

Old January 20th 05, 06:01 AM
Bill

Actually, the answer is yes.

The main output is switched between the gps and vor-loc by the button
as
others have pointed out.

There is a separate CDI output that is vor-loc only. It takes the same
arinc indicator.
It is ususally not connected to anything.

When I first saw one of these I thought it was busted!! The button did
not affect the
CDI! -- that CDI was connected to the vorloc ONLY output. Seemed
wrong.

Doesn't require a separate vorloc convertor. Too bad... they are
cheaper than the
real arinc indicators.

Would be interesting to see if the indicators could be set for
different radials when
both were in VOR mode!! Seems like it should be possible.
You could use such an indicator.

Bill Hale

Old January 20th 05, 03:25 PM
Mike Rapoport

"MJC" wrote in message
[...]

Anything is do-able given enough switches and relays!

The 430/530 has two outputs, the primary one which is switched with the CDI
key and a composite one that outputs whatever VOR or LOC is in the NAV
frequency box. You could use relays to switch the outputs to different
indicators but I question the wisdom of doing that. It not only adds a lot
of connections and relays but it offers the possibility of making an error
in flight. You need to find out if the 106A indicator will accept composite
inputs (it probably will). There is also a posibility that the EFIS will
accept either RS232 or ARINC 429 data from the 430 but I don't know. I
assume that the EFIS display will have a GS. Do you need the 106A becasue
the EFIS is uncertified?

If this project is in the future, you might want to wait for Garmin to come
out with a G1000 type product for the aftermarket. It will be better and
fully integrated.

Mike
MU-2

Old January 20th 05, 03:31 PM
Bill Zaleski

The GI 106A cannot accept composite VOR/LOC. It requires resolver
input (ARINC 5-wire) Something like a King KI209 (A) would work.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:25:09 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

"MJC" wrote in message
[...]

Want simple flight planning software marc Home Built 13 December 20th 04 04:36 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM