How do most of you pilots set up a flight plan and what nav-aids doyou use.

Old November 10th 09, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Nixon

Default How do most of you pilots set up a flight plan and what nav-aids doyou use.

1st of all my only piloting is with ,46-1.0cu inch internal combustion
piston engine powered radio control airplanes but in my recent quest
for some military knowledge I was treated decently here and directed
to the proper group by more than one of your members.

My question is; when you file a flight plan nowadays is it mostly
using a GPS box or do many of you still use VOR stations to
triangulate your course or ADF for that matter. I realize that not all
personal aviation planes are equipped with all the gear for IFR flight
but most probably do use some electronic aids for VFR flight as well.

Back in 1973 when I was on something called "project transition" with
only six months left in the USAF I worked part time at a small field
in Concord Calif in the SFBA. Anyway my job was to install and repair
VHF/VOR/landing localize radios, UHF glide-slope, transponders, ADF,
emergency UART locators, and just about anything else in private
aviation prior to the GPS era. I know a couple of guys who fly private
AC and one is a fireman that built his own kit plane power by a
standard Lycoming 4 cylinder boxer engine. The only nav-aids he has is
a GPS receiver-display and a required UART G force tripped box flying
out of now civilian Williams AFB. If he flew closer and or higher
toward Phoenix Sky Harbor airport he would be required to also have a
transponder so that the Sky Harbor GCA could track his airplane and
altitude and he'd have to tune his VHF radio to the GCA when in
commercial airspace.

Another question would be; these days, a VHF radio, GPS unit, UART &
maybe a transponder would be all that would be required for a VFR
flight. Is this the case or did I miss something obvious like a guy
sitting in the pilot seat with flight schooling and pilot's license +
his AC certified for flight by an FAA inspector?,-

Thanks, Bob Nixon Chandler, AZ
Old November 10th 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article
,
Bob Nixon wrote:

Another question would be; these days, a VHF radio, GPS unit, UART &
maybe a transponder would be all that would be required for a VFR
flight. Is this the case or did I miss something obvious like a guy
sitting in the pilot seat with flight schooling and pilot's license +
his AC certified for flight by an FAA inspector?,-

Actually, if you stay away from big airports, you don't need any of
those items. Radio is optional, GPS is definitely optional, I don't even
know what a UART is, and a transponder is optional. The radio and
transponder can become mandatory if you go into airspace that requires
it, but there's plenty that doesn't.

No comment on your flight plan questions, because as a glider pilot my
"flight plans" tend to be considerably different and more informal than
the usual kind.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old November 11th 09, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Bob Nixon" wrote:

My question is; when you file a flight plan nowadays is it mostly
using a GPS box or do many of you still use VOR stations to
triangulate your course or ADF for that matter. I realize that not all
personal aviation planes are equipped with all the gear for IFR flight
but most probably do use some electronic aids for VFR flight as well.

Pretty much GPS for everything, nowadays. I may have VORs in the flight
plan, but I won't generally use the receivers in the airplane to navigate to
them unless I just feel like practicing. Their days are numbered and ADFs
are already disappearing fast.

UART G force tripped box

What the heck is that?

Another question would be; these days, a VHF radio, GPS unit, UART &
maybe a transponder would be all that would be required for a VFR
flight.

As Mike Nash said, you don't need any of those things if you stay out of
certain kinds of airspace.

--
Dan

T182T at 4R4

Old November 11th 09, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Bob Nixon wrote:

My question is; when you file a flight plan nowadays is it mostly
using a GPS box or do many of you still use VOR stations to
triangulate your course or ADF for that matter.

Thanks, Bob Nixon Chandler, AZ

An instructor turned me on to a free flight planning/weather brief
site: http://www.fltplan.com

Give it a try with a start point and end point and it will give forecast
winds at altitude waypoints etc.

Brian W
Old November 11th 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Nixon

On Nov 10, 5:09*pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
"Bob Nixon" *wrote:
[...]

The UART that I used to install back in 73 was a yellow colored snap-
on or Velcro battery powered emergency location crash transmitter box.
If the plan went down in the peaks of a mountain it could be located
several hundred miles away. I had though it would have been manditory
by now but apparently not I was California so maybe it was a local
requirment or not at all.

Thanks for responding folks

Bob Nixon..
Old November 11th 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Nixon

On Nov 10, 2:21*pm, Mike Ash wrote:
In article
,
*Bob Nixon wrote:

Another question would be; these days, a VHF radio, GPS unit, UART &
maybe a transponder would be all that would be required for a VFR
flight. Is this the case or did I miss something obvious like a guy
sitting in the pilot seat with flight schooling and pilot's license +
his AC certified for flight by an FAA inspector?,-

Actually, if you stay away from big airports, you don't need any of
those items. Radio is optional, GPS is definitely optional, I don't even
know what a UART is, and a transponder is optional. The radio and
transponder can become mandatory if you go into airspace that requires
it, but there's plenty that doesn't.

No comment on your flight plan questions, because as a glider pilot my
"flight plans" tend to be considerably different and more informal than
the usual kind.

My ex-brother in law took me up for a glider towed ride near Fremont
Ca. mission peak (known to have good thermals) and the experience
seemed very natural with less fear than a small powered airplane.BYW,
dad's company in the 50's in Omaha before we moved to the SFBA owned a
plane and as a kid I frew in in many times. I think it was a Cessna
150 or similar.

Bob Nixon..
Old November 11th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Bob Nixon wrote:
The UART that I used to install back in 73 was a yellow colored snap-
on or Velcro battery powered emergency location crash transmitter box.

Aha! Perhaps you mean AN/URT beacon set radio, right? As in this:

http://www.tpub.com/1ase2/43.htm

To me, UART means "Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter" and was a
handy chip to have when one wanted to convert serial bit stream to parallel
byte streams and vice versa (as in modems and such.) Sure beat wiring
together (and debugging) discrete TTL chips to accomplish the same thing.
Old November 11th 09, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article
,
Bob Nixon wrote:

My ex-brother in law took me up for a glider towed ride near Fremont
Ca. mission peak (known to have good thermals) and the experience
seemed very natural with less fear than a small powered airplane.BYW,
dad's company in the 50's in Omaha before we moved to the SFBA owned a
plane and as a kid I frew in in many times. I think it was a Cessna
150 or similar.

I always like to say, with no engine there are simply fewer things to go
wrong. And of course with a 40+:1 glide ratio it's a lot easier to stay
within gliding range of a landable spot than in a typical light airplane.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old November 11th 09, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article ,
"Dan Luke" wrote:

Another question would be; these days, a VHF radio, GPS unit, UART &
maybe a transponder would be all that would be required for a VFR
flight.

As Mike Nash said, you don't need any of those things if you stay out of
certain kinds of airspace.

While I enjoy the sound of "Nash" and am not complaining at all, I would
like to point out that you've added an extraneous N.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old November 11th 09, 11:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

From the context and description, I think what he's calling the UART is what
we call an ELT.
Scott Wilson