"certified' parts

Old March 15th 05, 11:59 PM
Jimmy B.

Darrel Toepfer wrote:
Jimmy B. wrote:

All preventative maintenance must be logged, including updating the
database on your GPS unit. So, if you have updated your GPS database
and did not log it, you're not airworthy. This one caught a lot of
pilots.

You must be thinking panel mounted... There are lots of time line rules
in regards to IFR panels...

Yeah, sorry. This referred to panel mounted units only.

It was kind of interesting because the same question came up in the
seminar. Someone asked about a hand held GPS running on its own
batteries. Then about a hand held running off of the cigarette lighter.
Then about being Velcro mounted, Then bracket mounted. It was kind of
funny.

Old March 16th 05, 12:02 AM
Jimmy B.

OtisWinslow wrote:
"Jimmy B." wrote in message
k.net...

Manuals:
You must have current service manuals to do any (including preventative)
maintenance on your bird.

What maintenance? (wink wink)

Parts:
You must buy the parts from an aviation source.

What parts? (wink wink)

All preventative maintenance must be logged ...

What preventative maintenance? (wink wink)

Um, are you flirting with me? :-)
Old March 16th 05, 12:04 AM
Jimmy B.

George Patterson wrote:

"Jimmy B." wrote:

You must buy the parts from an aviation source.

Did Mr. FAA say what reg requires me to retain all the receipts?

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.

I thought of that question after we left. I am curious, because the
only way you could prove that you bought it from an aviation source is
with a receipt.
Old March 16th 05, 12:22 AM
Michael

Robert M. Gary wrote:
So when you get brought into the FSDO, you raise your right hand,

swear
to tell the truth, etc, you're going to just lie about where you

bought
the part because you weren't required to produce a receipt? Give me a
break. Think is an empty argument.

Absolutely. How could you even consider lying to your government?
After all, it has never lied to you.

Michael

Old March 16th 05, 12:48 AM
Mark Hansen

On 3/15/2005 15:22, Michael wrote:

Robert M. Gary wrote:
So when you get brought into the FSDO, you raise your right hand,

swear
to tell the truth, etc, you're going to just lie about where you

bought
the part because you weren't required to produce a receipt? Give me a
break. Think is an empty argument.

Absolutely. How could you even consider lying to your government?
After all, it has never lied to you.

Michael

The difference is that they don't often go to jail for lying to us,
while we often go to jail for lying to them...

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL
Sacramento, CA
Old March 16th 05, 01:24 AM
Rip

I think that the start of this thread stated that there was a
requirement to log IFR certified GPS database updates. The logging
requirement is met by the fact that the software displays the latest
update cycle when the unit is booted. No PAPER work is required.

Ron Natalie wrote:
Jimmy B. wrote:

Now, before everyone flames me and tells me I'm an idiot, these are
not my opinions, they are the opinions of the Safety Inspectors at
Washington - Dulles FSDO.

What do you mean by "safety inspectors." If you're talking about our
Aviation safety counselors, they are idiots. Do not believe anything
they say is correct or has any regulatory signfiicance with the FAA.

Bull****. You need those appropriate to what you are doing.

Parts:
You must buy the parts from an aviation source.

You must buy parts that meet the regulatory requirements. I'm not even
sure what an aviation source is supposed to mean. However, the point
about aviation parts vs. equivelent looking non-avaition parts is well
taken.

Old March 16th 05, 04:34 AM
Newps

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I always bring my service manuals out to the plane
when I'm doing any kind of work (including oil changes).

Then you're the only one.
Old March 16th 05, 05:25 AM
George Patterson

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

So when you get brought into the FSDO, you raise your right hand, swear
to tell the truth, etc, you're going to just lie about where you bought
the part because you weren't required to produce a receipt? Give me a
break. Think is an empty argument.

Uh... Ok, just where does it say that I'm going to be placed under oath when I
talk to the FSDO?

Old March 16th 05, 05:27 AM
George Patterson

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

I always bring my service manuals out to the plane
when I'm doing any kind of work (including oil changes).

Neat. Mine only saw the light of day when I handed it to the IA at annual time.

Old March 16th 05, 07:09 AM
Mike Granby

I always bring my service manuals out to the
plane when I'm doing any kind of work (including
oil changes).

Do you stand on them to better reach the oil spout?