must have 350hp above FL250?

Old December 1st 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

Default must have 350hp above FL250?

According to the Aerostar's specification sheet, it says "Must have
350hp engines above FL250". Is this a regulation thing, or just a
limitation of the type? I tried searching through any kind of e-FAR I
could find, but came up with squat.

http://www.aerostaraircraft.com/specs.pdf

Come to think of it, there are a bunch of altitude restrictions based
on equipment, that are spread throughout the FARs, such as the Mode C
rule above 10,000; oxygen starting at 12.5; and DME above FL240.

I also remember a King Air pilot saying in order to fly above a certain
altitude (something like in the FL3XX range) you had to have a
specially certified altimeter (which costs an arm-and-a-leg)

Is there one place that has all of these altitude restrictions listed?

Old December 1st 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

buttman writes:

I also remember a King Air pilot saying in order to fly above a certain
altitude (something like in the FL3XX range) you had to have a
specially certified altimeter (which costs an arm-and-a-leg)

Perhaps he was thinking of RVSM flight?

Old December 1st 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Part 23 and 25 is where you find aircraft certification.
Part 91 has requirements for flight in airspace, such as
reduced vertical separation [ what the King Air pilot was
talking about].
Revisions to Part 23 have included increased requirements
for stability above 25,000 feet.
Other requirements for pressurization and or oxygen systems
have included altitude limits.
The Type Certificate Data Sheet for each make, model and
serial number is where the limits, such as you cited will be
found.

s.com...

Old December 1st 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article m,
"buttman" wrote:

According to the Aerostar's specification sheet, it says "Must have
350hp engines above FL250". Is this a regulation thing, or just a
limitation of the type? I tried searching through any kind of e-FAR I
could find, but came up with squat.

At FL250, those 350hp engines will not be putting out much of their
rated power.
Old December 2nd 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

If they are turbo-charged using bug turbos, they may put out
nearly full power at 20,000 feet and normal high cruise
power at higher altitude. It all depends on the way the
system is put together.

"john smith" wrote in message
| In article
m,

Old December 2nd 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GDBholdings

"john smith" wrote in message
| In article
m,
| "buttman" wrote:

(snip)

Well does anyone know what the critical altitude of the superstar 700 is?.