How can I get back into flying

Old September 21st 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JPCOYLE

Default How can I get back into flying

Just curious. I had a Private Pilots license in the early 1970s. I havent
flown since then. Do I have to start over or is there a process to renew
with less time. I know that I will need a lot of retraining.

Thanks,

-Joe

Old September 21st 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"JPCOYLE" u26966@uwe wrote in message news:66a438c56dc59@uwe...
Just curious. I had a Private Pilots license in the early 1970s. I havent
flown since then. Do I have to start over or is there a process to renew
with less time. I know that I will need a lot of retraining.

Your pilot certificate doesn't expire, so there's no "renewal" process. You
do not need to retake the practical test, if that's what you're asking.
Though, any competent instructor will probably still subject you to the
equivalent of a written and/or oral exam before signing you off as current,
in addition to whatever flying is required for you to get your wings back.
And of course, you'll have get a current medical certificate.

There is lots new, including an all-new airspace classification system, new
avionics (a lot more electronic displays and a lot less standardization of
user interface), and of course best of all lots of new security regulations
to navigate.

Airplanes pretty much still work the same though.

Basically, check with your local FBO(s) and tell them what you've told us
and that you'd like to get current again. An instructor there should be
able to walk you through the steps.

Pete

Old September 22nd 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:00:25 GMT, "JPCOYLE" u26966@uwe wrote in
66a438c56dc59@uwe:

Just curious. I had a Private Pilots license in the early 1970s. I havent
flown since then. Do I have to start over or is there a process to renew
with less time. I know that I will need a lot of retraining.

First, renew your medical certificate, so see if you are still fit to
fly. If that works out well, join the AOPA, and enroll in the legal
services plan (and consider renter's insurance, unless you can afford
to self-insure).

Then, I suggest you enroll in Ground School at the local junior
college as a prelude to refreshing your aviation knowledge. Airspace
and weather information have been extensively revised and so have some
FARs.

Once you've got some of the class work behind you, and you're feeling
more comfortable, find a good instructor at your local airport. I
find that the Chief Pilot at the FBO is often a good choice for
locating a career CFII, as opposed to the instructors just building
time so they can land a flying job. Don't forget to inquire about
your liability and coverage under the FBO's insurance.

After some practice, you'll probably find that the skies are a lot
busier than they were in the early '70s, and once you log book is
endorsed with the necessary flight review, and you are again piloting
yourself, you may consider an IFR rating (if you don't already have
one) to really sharpen your technique.

Don't forget to post your experiences here as you progress.